“Lobby has strong smoke smell”

Super 8 West Plains
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in West Plains
Greenbrier
“Lobby has strong smoke smell”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is a budget motel and that is what you get. The beds were ok. The room was clean. They need to redecorate. Old bedspreads and pictures on walls. The doors to the room are loud and we heard slamming all night. The ice machine is downstairs and there is no elevator. The internet is slow. The towels are thin. The breakfast is a typical but the juice machine was out of order and I do not drink coffee so I was told to "get water out of the sink." There is no fresh fruit but waffles. The staff is not the friendliest. If you are hot natured do not stay here. I turned the air on high and 60 degrees and it kept cutting off and it was not 60 in the room. If I had not had a fan, it would have been bad. The lights above the night stand did not work and we were going to see if they were plugged in but the bed is heavy and in the way. So no reading in bed. There are 4 plugins by the desk. That is the only ones. If you are looking for a budget motel then this is your place. It is run by Americans as far as I could see. Next time I will be staying somewhere else and pay a little more.

Room Tip: Stay downstairs if you need an elevator. Take a fan if you like it cool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SuperGM3537, General Manager at Super 8 West Plains, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear preach7,
I am very sorry to hear of the problems you encountered on your stay. I have addressed the issues with the staff because we do want to be guest helpful here. I do want you to know that we are constantly upgrading our rooms with new bedding and amenities. The room you specifically had, was not yet done, but now has new spreads. We have also added fruit to our breakfast as part of Super 8's new breakfast program. I want you to know that any item brought to our attention is always corrected if we are notified. The AC could have beed corrected and the lights plugged in. I again appoligize for the issues you encountered and invite you to return and see how great we can be.

Lawrence Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cavalier, North Dakota
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night while traveling through. Hotel is right off the highway with plenty of places to eat near by. Room was comfy and had plenty of amenities; mini fridge, lots of cable channels and free breakfast. Staff was friendly and helpful pointing out surrounding attractions.

• Stayed July 2012
, Manager at Super 8 West Plains, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear hammer02af,

All of us at the West plains Super 8, thank you for your comments. We try very hard to make everyones stay as pleasent as possible. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to spend some time in our city while enjoying the local attractions. Please come and see us again soon.

Lawrence Thompson
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a very old hotel. At first, when I checked in and walked through the hall to my room, the air smelled old and musty. However, when I went into the room, the smell was better and it WAS clean and nice. No fridge in the rooms, and you have to ask for the WiFi password upon checkout. I would stay here again, however, I would not bring my wife to stay here because she has such bad allergies, and I am afraid the smell would affect people with allergies.

Room Tip: You can get good prices on these rooms at expedia. Its about $5-$10 cheaper a night from there.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
SuperGM3537, Manager at Super 8 West Plains, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Wadeharman,

Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate knowing how we can improve our guest experience. I am surprised to hear about the musty smell, as we have newer carpet and have it cleaned regularly, but I am glad you brought it to my attention. I will be happy to have housekeeping address the odor concern.

As for the internet issue, a password should be automatically loaded when you access the the free Wi-Fi, but different security settings, you have, may not allow this. If you ever have any problems accessing the internet, do not hesitate to ask our front desk personnel for assistance. I am glad you enjoyed your room and look forward to your next visit.

Lawrence thompson
Lindsborg, Kansas
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Well, I should give this hotel rave reviews simply because it saved my weekend getaway. I had booked and paid for a room on Hotwire and was ripped off, because after I paid, the hotel was revealed to be the Ridge Crest Plaza in West Plains. After looking at reviews of Ridge Crest (shudder), I knew I was just going to take the loss on the Hotwire booking (and never use Hotwire again) and look for something else. Luckily, Super 8 had a room available at a great rate that didn't break my bank since I had already lost money on a hotel room. Very friendly staff and very clean room at Super 8. We had a queen room, smaller room with an easy chair. My complaints are these: We stayed in room 212 which was directly at the top of the stairs. Opening our door and looking down the stairs, the small lobby was in plain sight. We were kept awake for quite a long time by fellow guests visiting loudly in the lobby. At 1 a.m., they were still going strong. I finally turned on the bathroom fan to block some of the noise and was able to fall asleep. Now, we were in town for a concert and I know some of the other guests were there for that reason as well, so I am sure the lobby isn't noisy every night, but this was pretty annoying. The other weird thing was that there were two kind of wing-back like chairs at the top of the stairs very close to our room and there were two guys just sitting in them half the night talking as well. Our room, 212, was right next to a storage closet and my husband said that in the night, someone entered the closet and shuffled around and slammed that door several times. I was disappointed that the front desk clerk did not try to manage the noise level in the hotel and my sleep did suffer. Overall clean rooms, simple breakfast, nice people. I would try this hotel again if I were in the area and hope it would offer a more quiet night.

Room Tip: Avoid room 212 during busy times.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
SuperGM3537, Manager at Super 8 West Plains, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear pixiekansas,

I am glad you chose our hotel. I am sorry for the inconvience the additional noise caused. I see you were aware that this was an unusual situation. We did have a group in house that provided their own security and I am also sorry he added to your noise issue.

I would like to thank you for all your possitve comments and hope you will return in the future to prove we can be peacefull as well as friendly, clean and a value. Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reguards,

Lawrence thompson
Mineral Point, WI
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Very clean rooms and well managed property. Comfortable beds will provide you with a great night's sleep. Plenty of restaurants close by. This is a great value for the cost conscious traveler.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was an unexpected surprise, this is the nicest " cheap" motel I've been at on my trip. Mints on the pillow flat screens and so on.

• Stayed February 2012
Springfield
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Pros: Good value for the price. Adequate amenities. Free wifi is a plus. USA Today in the lobby. Continental breakfast standard items, bagels, donuts, cold cereal, toast, orange juice and apple juice.
Cons: Watch out for tacked on safe deposit charges. Newspaper comes past 8:30

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Mammoth Spring Lodge Motel
Honeysuckle Inn
Honeysuckle Inn
#2 of 2 in Mountain View

Been to Super 8 West Plains? Share your experiences!