“Do Not Stay Here”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites West Plains Southwest
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in West Plains
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Please do not stay at this motel. I rented 3 rooms at the West Plains MO Holiday Inn and I will never stay there again or at any other Holiday Inn. While we were out exploring West Plains. The staff decided to play with the lock on one of the rooms I rented. We arrived back to see the staff playing with the lock when it was time to put my baby nephew down for a nap.

Later we went swimming and when my sibling went back to his room found that he was unable to open the door. When we advised the front desk staff she advised that she did not have a way to get into the room without a card key. She called the manager who sent someone to look at the lock. In the meantime, I took a look at the lock and at the bottom there is a standard keyhole which is for the master key. I have worked in motels and I know they are REQUIRED to have a master key on site. The desk clerk refused to use the master key to open the room and the manager was not willing to talk to us.

After waitng 45 minutes for someone to fix the situation I called corporate and spoke with guest relations. She called the motel who told her someone was coming. Since the motel was not resolving the situation, I asked her to stay on the line with me until the situation was resolved. She said, "You're being unreasonable and it is not my job to make sure you can get into your room." After an hour we were finally able to get in the room. My husband and I were so shaken by the incident we checked out shortly after and did not stay the night.

So if you want to stay at Holiday Inn you can expect: 1. To get locked out of your room with all of your belongs in it. 2. No one at the motel to care that you are soaking wet with a baby when they caused the situation. 3. No master key on available in an emergency, so if you have any medical issues you could die before someone decides to unlock the door. 4. No one at corporate cares if you are actually able to stay in the room you rented.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank EmmaML

Reviewed September 18, 2010

The hotel is very clean, shows little signs of wear. The staff on all four shifts we encountered were positive and inviting, attentive and helpful. Free cookies with tea or lemonade in the evening.

We could not hear any of the quilters or volleyballers also staying in this sold out hotel.
Internet was free, fast and an instant connection to both channels of wifi.
Breakfast was a little better than some other business class stops that are of higher branding. Fresh bacon and scrambled eggs, soft large flaky cinnamon rolls.

$100 a night was too much for what it is, but I didn't actually search for discounts as online this hotel was sold out weeks ahead of time. The lovely staff at the counter helped me get three rooms when they were released by one of the groups staying there for convention or tournaments. Which means I might have over rated this place a bit, but they made it worth it. The counter staff laughed and joked with us when we came in at 4am, come on most counter help wouldn't have been at the counter at 4am.

We looked around the town a bit, there was nothing better, or close to better to stay at. This is your one choice if you have to come to West Plains.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2010

This Holiday Inn Express appears to have been a less expensive hotel (such as a Comfort Inn) at one time, so it's not as nice as a number of other Holiday Inn Expresses in Missouri. It's difficult to find, and you may want to call the hotel for directions when you get to West Plains. My room, while clean, felt humid for some time after I arrived; the air conditioning unit--cheap-looking and identical to those in most Comfort Inns--eventually helped. During my shower, the water became tepid, then cold; I eventually got most of the hot water back. In conclusion, I might stay here again, but I would also consider staying in a different town altogether.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank sonofposeidon
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This was a very nice hotel, a refreshing oasis on our trip. The pool was nice. The hotel and room were clean and in good condition. Overall, the hotel seemed to be well-managed. The "complimentary" breakfast was very good, with clean, more-than-adequate seating, and flat-screen TVs for the morning news infusion. We got a good night's sleep in a quiet room and woke up ready to roll in the morning. We would have stayed in Mansfield since our day's destination was the Laura Ingalls Wilder home, but the only reviews we found for hotels in Mansfield or within close driving distance were mostly negative. The drive to the home from West Plains was a little under an hour - easily doable without getting up too early. We would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2010

West Plains will not be on many tourist itineraries - it seems to consist mainly of wide, confusing highways and commercial sprawl. But if you're here, the recently built (apparently) Holiday Inn Express makes a nice overnight stop. A little hard to find: it lies somewhat off Hwy 160, surrounded by not-very-attractive commercial development, and without the usual 50-meter-high sign to help you locate it among the several dozen other 50-meter-high signs. But glad to have found it: reception was very friendly, and room, bath, pool, and bacon-and-eggs breakfast were all first-rate - only an exercise room was missing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on 4th of July weekend and we have never been treated better. The hotel was very clean and staffed with friendly and helpful people that made you feel welcome. The pool and whirlpool were perfect. The beds and linen were very comfortable and the shower was the best I had ever used in a hotel room. The complimentary breakfast was amazing with not only the usual cereal, toast, bagels and muffins but also sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, cheese omelets and the most amazing fresh cinnamon rolls. We will definitely stay here again if the situation presents itself. The hotel was well priced for the quality of service and amenities included.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2010

West Plains is out of the way, but this HI was perfect. Very clean and friendly. Recognized my prioirty booking right away, greeted me as such, free bottled water on check in (with cookies!). They saw I had multiple bags and quickly changed me to ground floor room so as not to have to worry re steps. Breakfast was great and extended, not rushed! Manager really got into greeting our girls. she was a blast! We had hoped for a King with a sofa sleeper, but couldnt get it--only had 2 queens. overall, one of the best Holiday Inns Ive been to. Very nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Super 8 West Plains
#3 of 7 in West Plains
Baymont Inn & Suites West Plains
Mammoth Spring Lodge Motel

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites West Plains Southwest? Share your experiences!