“Disappointed the second time around.....”
Review of Cowan's Restaurant

Cowan's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 82 Restaurants in Washington
Cuisines: American
Linn, Missouri
“Disappointed the second time around.....”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stopped by Cowan's recently for lunch with family. We were downtown and there are other choices, but decided we would love to have a piece of homemade pie. Well, let me say I wish we would have choosen something else. The service was extremely slow; possibly just our server as the tables around were getting much quicker service. Several members of our party thought their food was very bland, including myself. After only eating half of my sandwich, I was looking extra forward to a slice of pie. My pie was just okay, not something you would expect when you a place is famous for their pies. In short, next time we will try one of the other local places instead. Also, they claim to have wi-fi, but none of our 8 person party was able to access it on our mobile devices.

• Visited September 2013

Hamilton, Montana
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place was recommended to us by several locals. It is exceptionally clean and good service. They are known for their "mile high" pies. I loved everything about this quaint small town. Have a good hearty breakfast here, you won't be disappointed. They also had wifi here.

• Visited December 2012
Paola, Kansas
“Great breakfast location”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Family members and I ate breakfast here on a Sunday morning. The restaurant is comfortable, the wait staff are very friendly and the food is good and substantial. Known for their "mile high" pies, I even bought one to carry home on the train. Recommend!

Visited September 2013
Blackwater, Missouri
“Worth the Drive”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A trip to visit Washington has been on our agenda for several months. After reading the review of Cowan's Restaurant in Missouri Life Magazine, we decided to give it a try. Oh, my! We were greeted at the door by a friendly waitress and told that we could sit at any table we liked. Turns out, we chose her section (I think she said her name was Chris). The service was fantastic! The food was hot and freshly prepared. The restaurant and bathrooms were spotless. The mile-high pies were on display and the most difficult part was which one to choose. We were too full after lunch, but we each decided to take a piece with us. I choose the coconut cream and asked (with tongue in cheek) if they had boxes big enough to accommodate the pie. Our waitress wrapped the pie like fine china and it made the 109 mile trip home without incident. We plan to return to see the fall colors in the area. My husband and I both agree that to eat at Cowan's is well worth the drive.

• Visited August 2013
St. Charles, MO
“Best Spicy Chicken Sandwich and Pie!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I stopped at Cowan's on the way to Hermann, MO this past weekend. What a treat! This place was SO good! I ordered the Spicy Chicken Sandwich on nine grain bread with fried okra and my husband had the Beef Steak sandwich with American fries. We were in heaven! The chicken on my sandwich was so moist and tender and full of flavor. The tomatoes had to be home grown-they were so red and flavorful! And I don't remember what that sauce was, but yum!

As a girl from the south, I especially appreciated the okra. It wasn't cornmeal crusted but it was perfectly cooked. So many times restaurants burn it. After lunch we shared a mini-pie: Blackberry, raspberry peach rhubarb if you can believe it! It was the perfect blend of tart and sweet and it had a crumb topping. Our waitress brought it out to us warm!

This is a wonderful small diner with a great menu. Check it out!

• Visited July 2013