“John G's- sit outside if possible!”

John G's Tap Room and Augusta Brewing Company
Ranked #22 of 84 Restaurants in Washington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband & I have gone here many nights after a movie or after dinner. We have eaten inside before, the menu has expanded over the last year, and the food always has just that little extra twist. They have tons of microbrews on tap if you like those, and the cocktails are reasonably priced. I personally prefer to sit at their lower "beer deck", which overlooks the Missouri River. Even in the fall, they have little fireplaces and blankets out there. It's very cozy. Sometimes on the weekends, there will be a live band outside. I enjoy this little place, and think they are a great secret.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Wanted to try Augusta Brewery (in Augusta, MO) but it was closed for the season. So we went to their full tap room in nearby Washington and we were quite satisfied. Excellent micro brews (suggest the 'Kick [--]' Double IPA) and equally good pub food. We will be back! Why not 5 stars? 5 Stars is saved for a place which changes your life and memories. I don't think I've given a 5 star yet. But this place is a full 4 star.

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

The outside dining overlooks the river but is closed during the week in the Fall. Bummer because the bratwurst is the best. Tried the portabellum wrap. Picture above. Very good, and probably healthy too.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second visit to John G's for a Sunday Chicken dinner - it is delish! We travel about 45 minutes to get there so you know it's good! I also highly recommend their desserts which are made in house. The chocolate cake is devine accompanied by an Imperial Stout (I think they should serve the two together to be honest) and their cheese cake which is a different flavor each week was blood orange and MAN was it incredible! The service is always stellar and the atmosphere is fun. Plenty of TVs if the big game is on. They also have a little outside bar out back that overlooks the river. This is a favorite day trip for our family for sure.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our first visit won't be our last, we loved the food and the atmosphere.
We were greeted immediately and we asked to sit in one of the big (old time) private booths. High padded backs really give you a sense of privacy. The booth table was so big, there was room for a table lamp! From where we sat, we had a view of the entire restaurant.
Our waitress brought our drinks quickly and was patient while we poured over a menu with so many tantalizing choices, that we had a hard time deciding!
My husband chose the John G burger which was really a large burger - hand made - no pressed pre-made burgers here. It was topped with a wonderful applewood smoked bacon, caramelized onions, chipotle sauce and lots of other goodies. It came with an order of seasoned fries that were hot and crispy, but you could choose coleslaw or potato chips. The cost of this burger was $12.00
I ordered the Rueben, which was stacked so tall it was hard to get your mouth around it. Cheese oozed from the sides and there was a very tasty Russian sauce. It was supposed to be served on marble rye, but came on plain rye. It also was served with a choice of fries, coleslaw or potato chips. This sandwich was so big, I could only eat half and took the other half home. The Rueben sandwich cost $10.00. It was very tasty and I would definitely order it again if I didn't have plans to try some other items off the menu!
They had a calendar of events at each table and it looks like they have live entertainment fairly regular. The day we visited was "Fried Chicken Day", it was their special of the day.
We were checked on regularly by our waitress and the bartender.
We were surprised at how large it was, noting that they have an events room that is very spacious.
Lots of history in this building and we loved the original ads from the old Droege's Grocery Store that hung for everyone to reflect on.
We happily recommend this restaurant and give it four out of four thumbs up!

2  Thank SharingDetails