“Quite nice”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Went here for lunch and it was packed and waited for seating. The crowded atmosphere did not ring my chimes but the food was very tasty and a good selection. The servings were moderate to small which is fine for me. It's better for us.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This restaurant has been in its new location for about a year and they have recently added additional seating by constucting a room with glass "garage" doors which can slide open during great weather. There is also patio seating. They have one of the best burgers and other creative fare to add to the great ambiance.

1  Thank HazelWashington_MO
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Went here with a friend and found the food to be very good. Portions average. Acoustics could have been MUCH better, no way could you have a conversation without everyone hearing you...even if you spoke low.
Have heard they tried to fix acoustics , will have to check it out again.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We LOVE the Blue Duck! A great place on the river front and the patio is awesome! Fresh ingredients and food is delicious. Waitress and waiters are very friendly. People talk about the noise level, however, we have been to restaurants that are worse. A must place to eat when in Washington, Mo.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I have dined at The Blue Duck 5 or 6 times - each time for lunch. They do offer dinner, but my husband and I have not yet dined there for dinner yet and the menu is somewhat small. All of my visits have been since it moved to it's "new" location overlooking the Missouri River in Washington, MO. It's a nice addition to an area of town that has seen some popular restaurants close along the same street within the past couple of years, some fairly recently, and I am sure that has benefited the Blue Duck to some extent. Although it was located elsewhere in Washington prior to moving to it's present location, I was unaware of it's existance. It's has a somewhat trendy and roomy decor (for Washington), with wooden floors and chairs, and they have added a roof and enclosure to their patio area recently.

There is a nice, though not huge, menu menu for lunch consisting of mostly sandwiches, salads and soups with a few appetizer type foods. Most are quite good, although it's been hit and miss at times.

One of my friends recently took some people there, and all were disappointed with their food selections. While my food has always been good, on my most recent visit another friend and I ordered a combo that is offered which includes half a sandwich and soup or salad. We chose the soup. Our waitress made a mistake and brought each of us a full sandwich and cup of soup. We told her we had only ordered half sandwiches with soup. She admitted she had made a mistake, but stood there looking somewhat bewildered about what to do. That in itself was no big deal, and I said it was not a problem as long as we would not each be charged for a whole sandwich plus the soup. (My friend and I were both trying to cut down somewhat and didn't want to eat that much for lunch.) The waitress said, "Just a minute, I have to check on this." She returned very shortly, picked up a half of each of our sandwiches, and said, "Sorry, but I will have to take these away from you" and carried them off in her hands. (Now, what in the world could be done with the sandwich halves as they certainly couldn't re-serve them?) Although we would not have eaten the extra sandwich halves anyway (though admittedly we probably would have taken them home but would have left a larger tip than 20%), it was not how that type of thing should be handled. Most restaurants would have said just to keep the extra halves yet made sure we were charged only for what we ordered. Considering the person who was with me owns a popular sit down deli-restaurant and catering service in west St. Louis County, she is very familiar with customer service and was appalled that the waitress just picked the sandwich halves right off of our plates and took them away. It was a fairly minor issue, but didn't sit well with either of us. Unfortunately, this friend said she doesn't plan to return to the restaurant.

I haven't found a problem with the food other than I think they could change the variety of their soups around more. And while I don't mind one of their "everyday" soups, chicken tortilla, some people expect a more "Chili's" version and are surprised when they get a more watery (but to me more authentic), thinner and browner version than you usually see. I know this has disappointed a few people I have known who have eaten there.

This restaurant also has a refrigerated display case that contains a few desserts. I have had cupcakes and they are good, but not overlarge for the price. They also usually have a couple of pies and, I think, perhaps brownies or fudge (?) or something along that line.

This restaurant is a nice addition to an area that has probably suffered somewhat due to high gas prices and less people willing to go on long drives, but it has a local following as well. As more people discover it, it will probably continue to do pretty well. I'm glad it's there. I just think it would help if they work to have more consistency in both food quality and service,