“Very nice and secluded...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bear Creek Bed and Breakfast Lodge

Bear Creek Bed and Breakfast Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Walnut Shade B&B and Inns
“Very nice and secluded...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here and got married on site. The facilities are nice overall. Pretty pricey but for our situation it was great. We had a large group and the cabin set up worked well. Mandy did our catering and it was a slam dunk all around! The service was a little interesting, didn't liking having to take my towel in and exchange them that was a little odd. No maid service available which would have made the lodges top notch... Overall our experience was great without a wedding I don't know if I would stay again just due to the location so far from activities...

• Stayed April 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pryor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I came here with a friend for a short vacation back in the fall. The surroundings were beautiful and the cabin was cute and cozy. We stayed in the two bedroom cabin, with one bedroom upstairs and another downstairs. There were 3 bathrooms, one in each bedroom and another downstairs by the living room. The kitchenette was a bit of a disappointment...the only way to cook in there was by microwave oven. I will say the owner was friendly and helpful. She let us taste some of the wines in their wine tasting room and fixed us a delicious sandwich (from the limited menu, moderately priced) as we had not had any dinner. Breakfast all three days was very good, but nothing to shout about. By the third day, we had become well acquainted with the only other people staying there, a Canadian couple, who was very friendly. I felt like the staff that we met were friendly. Drawbacks - hot tub filters needed some work: I decided to use the hot tub and pretty soon the water had dozens of teeny tiny black bugs floating in it; and secondly, for what the nightly charge was, I was dismayed that an additional $75 would be charged if we didn't wash the dishes...(yes, we read the fine print and knew that when we checked in).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

My sister and her husband stayed here - and recommended it saying it was very nice, I can only think that it was sold to someone new after she stayed there. I was not expecting what we found when we got there. The first experience was an older gentleman standing at the "check in" - when we got out of the car, instead of saying hello, or welcome, he said "do you know where you are?" Maybe that should have been an omen. Anyway - the room was OK - but very dark. I was never able to get enough light to actually see to put on makeup. There was no bath soap (fortunately I travel with shower gel), no cups to use for brushing your teeth and rinsing, (stopped at Target and bought paper cups) and when putting clothes in the closet, I found a dish with a paper towel that had what appeared to be moldy food (hard to tell for sure it was nasty) laying on the ironing board. The hot tub cover was torn and water logged, so that when we took it off, it slipped down between the fence and tub, and there was no way we could get it back out. My sister had raved about the wonderful breakfast, but the first morning, it was strawberries, grapes and muffins/coffee cake that did not appear to be home made. About halfway thru the 8:30-9:30 breakfast, biscuits and gravy were available - so we did not have anything else since my husband hates biscuits and gravy. This did not seem to be a "full breakfast" to me. In addition, the chairs in the dining area were wobbly, one had split wood on the back which snagged and tore my husband's jeans pocket. I did not feel that the staff was friendly at all. The whole vibe was very awkward. Also - the gravel drive into the lodge had large potholes which were difficult to navigate with our small car, and despite the appearance of lighting along the drive, it was not lit. There were no instructions in the room on how to use the TV, which probably didn't matter since I think my laptop screen is larger than that TV was. I was so disappointed that we did not stay at the B&B we usually go to, which I guess has spoiled us with friendly owners, clean, comfy facilities, and breakfasts to die for! I just wanted to try something a little different as we were celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary. We did not stick around for the second morning's breakfast, just headed home early. Fortunately the rest of our visit to Branson was wonderful I considered finding another place to stay for the second night, but would not have been able to cancel since they require 14 day cancellation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CathyAnnV
Norfork, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

The owner was in our room 3 times without notification during our night stay. I also think that the website is misleading. We stayed in the creekside cabin, which is smaller than our bedroom at home, deck and all. Right outside of our door was an area set up for weddings. Luckily there wasn't any that day because like it or not we would have had front row seats. The hot tub does have a privacy fence but no gate for actual privacy. My husband slipped on the rug outside of our cabin door and almost twisted his ankle. When he notified the owner, she stated that she knew it was like that and the help must have put it in the wrong spot and that it would be removed. After leaving for most of the day, the rug was still in front of our door. The owner then proceeded at breakfast to discuss the reason why she doesn't hire white staff and that if her customers wanted things exactly like they want it they should have stayed at Big Creek. We were also not aware of having to wash our dishes prior to checking into the room. After we checked in we read a sign in our room about washing the dishes or a $75 cleaning charge would be applied to our account. Not really sure we should have eaten off of them as I am not sure if the previous tenants cleaned them thouroughly because there wasn't any dish soap to clean the dishes with in the cabin. The cabin itself was cute however the hot tub was not exactly what we were looking for. The queen bed while beautiful, had an old mattress that leaned to one corner. It was unfortable and did not allow us a good nights rest. $412 for a two night stay for a romantic getaway with my husband, we were very sadly misled and disappointed. We didn't stay both nights after my husband was insulted at breakfast by the owner, as she pointed out that "his" kind was too ignorant to enjoy a quiche for breakfast. Also, there was derogatory remarks about people with tattoos and piercings. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone with any decency. If you want a fantastic and beautiful place to stay I will 200% recommend An Enchanting
Evening in Arkansas.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Misty C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed a few nights here for my birthday and had an excellent time! There was snow all around (which made it difficult to get there at first but the staff directed us to a better parking area and we didn't have trouble after that). We wouldn't have had it any other way because the snow added a nice tranquility to the already charming lodge. It has a nice location: it is between Branson and Springfield and it does not take long to get to either place. While at the lodge you have the nice isolated feeling of being away from everything, it's great!
Our cabin was clean and had such a nice rustic appeal. The hot tub was a lot of fun, especially in 15 degree weather!

• Stayed February 2014
Manchester, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a long weekend get away and I couldn't have been more pleased. Rebecca and Dennis (owners) we so accommodating and very helpful esp when it came to helping us get our car out of the unexpected snow. I can't wait to come back in the spring and visit the winery!

• Stayed December 2013
Pittsfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We were married October 20th on a perfect autumn day, with gorgeous photo worthy scenery. Our minister, witnesses, and photographer were professional with a pleasant warmth to us and the task they were there to do. Never would we have thought our union would be this perfect! The host and hostess were nice and welcoming. The staff inviting and friendly. Our treetop cabin was so fantastic that we stayed an extra night! The breakfast and wine were nice as well. If we wanted peace with an awesome view we sat on the front deck. If we wanted dinner and a show we drove the 10 minutes to Branson and enjoyed ourselves. This was our first vacation to a bed and breakfast and highly recommend it for any wedding or get-a-way! We sincerely hope to return soon!

• Stayed October 2013
#7 of 140 in Branson
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,254 reviews
Westgate Branson Woods Resort
The Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks - Lodging

Been to Bear Creek Bed and Breakfast Lodge? Share your experiences!