“What a deal!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Valley Park
Chicago
“What a deal!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my first time staying at a Drury and I was a little apprehensive. Turns out I had nothing to worry about! Everything was great. Check- in was quick and easy. I had made a note on our reservation requesting a roll-away bed, and it was in our room when we arrived, with enough pillows, blankets, and towels for everyone in the family. What great service!

Our two room suite was spotless. The bathroom sparkled it was so clean....it looked like a brand new tub and tile. 2 huge flat screen TVs, which were much bigger than anything we have had at any other hotel. A very comfortable king size bed too!

The 5:30 Kickback provided enough food to definitely make it a meal. You can't go wrong with a huge baked potato, topped with chili, cheese, and jalepanos! Yum! As another reviewer said, the quality is consistent with ball park type food. It's plentiful and decent. The kids love it and you can't beat the free adult beverages. The bartenders and other staff were all friendly and helpful at the Kickback too. A lot of families do go to this, however we did not find it overly crowded, and we were able to get a table as soon as we had our food.

The free breakfast was also a good value. Plenty to chose from. The donuts were a bit stale, but other than that, the food was good. Again, a lot of families were at breakfast, but we did not have a problem getting a table.

We have stayed at other hotel chains that offer "evening receptions" and free breakfast. One thing I would like to point out about the Drury, compared to other hotels is that it is VERY family friendly. We have found the "evening reception" at another hotel chain to be a bit rowdy with many adults over-indulging in the free drinks, making it an inappropriate environment for families. The environment is not like that at all at the Kickback at Drury! You see families playing games and eating together....not a "bar-like" atmosphere at all!

Overall, a great family hotel! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The 2 room suite is great for a family!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Wisconsin
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed there as a chaperone with our team of 20 girls this past Labor Day weekend. The staff was amazing!! Friendly, always willing to help us, from letting us use a meeting room for a later evening meal with the girls (great team building!) to always asking if we needed anything. Free breakfest and evening buffet was wonderful!! Food items were always plentiful and the food areas were always very clean! Very clean rooms! Would not hesitate to stay here again!! Thanks again to the wonderful staff!!! Overheard one employee say, how much he loved working there and working with people. Those are the kind of people I want working at the hotel I am staying at!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank witravelmom67
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Me and my family were in St louis for my sisters wedding June 2012.Yes it was 105 degrees at that time! ouch! This Hotels location was perfect for us.17 miles south of the city center of St louis,it was right off the expessway,easy to find,and was a couple miles away from our wedding destination and close to visit downtown.The rooms were large and clean.We had a total of five rooms with our family members.The suites were large enough to accodimate four pepole.Included a refridgerator an extended bathroom,adequate closet space,coffee maker and fold out couch.One of the perks of this hotel is that they had a daily 530pm kickback.Which was a free happy hour for guests that included a buffet of appetizers like nachos,chicken fingers and fruit and cheese platters,and an open bar which included two free drinks consisting of beer,wine,or well cocktails.This was ideal for a large group to get us going! There was a cool swimming pool area of outdoor and indoor swimming with the pool connected by a wall you can swim under to get to the outside pool!Kinda cool! Also was patio seating indoor and outdoor and a hot tub ! We had two problems with this hotel.The morning after the wedding,there was loud drilling that woke everyone at 8 am! and it didnt stop for over an hour! After talking to the front desk,it seemed there was some things they were working on in the hotel,but the drilling wasnt supoosed to start till noon,the contractors decided to start on their own time! Not good for us after a long night at a wedding the evening before. The other incdent is that our last night there we decided to go down for a night swim,pool was supposed to be open until 9pm.Remember it was 105 degres out this weeknd and we took every oppurtunity to cool off.We went down to the pool to find it closed down.Bummer.Something about an emergency cleanup.We never found out what the problem is,but they gave us passes to use the neighboring hotels pool.Guess what,it was overcrowded handling two hotels guests in one pool.O well,bummer.The overall expereince here was slightly above average only because of the drilling and the closed pool.Because the staff was very helpful and friendly.After being back home i recieved a survey from Drury Inn to rate our trip.After giving average and above average scores,i wrote a message about the drilling and the pool.Within a week i had an email from the Manager apologzing to me and inviting us back for a free nights stay anytime within the next year.I think it was very nice,professional and very prompt response from the manager.Because of this i will stay at the Drury Inn Suites again.Customer service does matter!

Room Tip: The suites are very large,good space for up to four people
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights while visiting family in St Louis. The hotel lobby and breakfast area were bright and clean, and the free popcorn was a great hit with the 4-year-old! We were never in the hotel to sample the free food and drinks at 5:30pm so I can't comment on that. Breakfast was OK (and of course free) although there were long queues at the peak times. We also used the Bob Evans and the Starbucks within 100 yards of the hotel.

There were 2 elevators and they were both very slow. We spent far too long admiring the view from the 6th floor balcony down to the lobby guessing where the elevator might be!

Our room was rather dark and dingy feeling (although 100% clean), and the carpets in the hallways were worn.

Overall we would stay here again, but I felt that the property needs a makeover.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We sincerely apologize that you had a concern about the speed of the elevators and condition of the hallway carpet during your stay at our hotel. We value your business and sincerely regret that the level of service was not what you expected and deserved.

Your comments will help us address the issues you brought to our attention so we can improve our service.

We truly appreciate your business and hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve your lodging needs.

Brian Handyside
White Oak, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Wow! I can't help but notice this is #1 (out of the 2 hotels in the Valley Park area of St. Louis!) LOL. Honestly, you can't go wrong by booking here, especially if you are looking for a place to stay after a day at Six Flags. I can't see paying $130+ for a dirty room at the Holiday Inn just because it is right down the road from the theme park, especially when I read the bad reviews about it here on TripAdvisor. This hotel is only 10 minutes away from Six Flags. It must be brand new, because the place actually sparkles! The hotel is just beautiful, with granite tile throughout. You can actually walk on the carpeting without getting your feet dirty! Beds were comfy. We got in too late to experience the free kickbacks or pool, so I can't comment. I have to give this management and staff a "10" for the ultimate standard of cleanliness!. Bathrooms were spotless!

The only complaint I have is that I booked three rooms under my name for various family members. I specifically called the hotel early in the day to make arrangements that would allow other members of my party to check in even if I was not there yet. I gave them all of our names and thought that it was handled. Someone dropped the ball. My parents arrived earlier than my family because we stayed at the theme park until it closed. It was extremely frustrating when I got a call from the night manager who knew nothing and had no record of my previous call or arrangements. Apparently they had some type of "release form" that needed to be signed before they could authorize approval of the other parties checking in under my reservations. (?!) I would think that the charge that had taken place on my credit card at 6 p.m. that night would have been enough approval for them! I expressed my dissatisfaction, as I had explicitly made prior arrangements so I would NOT have this type of problem. It was ESPECIALLY frustrating, being in a loud theme park at 10:00 at night, barely able to hear the conversation! I gave verbal approval, the manager finally relented, and they were able to check in without me. Shame on the staff member that didn't do her job. Luckily there were far more "pluses" to outweigh that one problem. All of my party was extremely pleased with this hotel, and for that I am grateful. You guys made me look REALLY good! Thank you for that! I would make a point to stay here again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our children for 2 nights. We were going to Six Flags and to a Cardinals ball game. Let me say that when we stay overnight anywhere we look for a Drury to stay in. I have always been pleased with the Drury hotels. Just last month my husband and I stayed at the downtown convention center Drury in St. Louis. The location is great for going to Six Flags. Overall it's clean and the staff is friendly. I noticed in my room there were cob webs behind the door into the room and also beside the a/c unit in our room. Not just a small cob web but a lot of them. The room itself was nice. Housekeeping needs to do a better job of cleaning. We had the free breakfast both days. First day, no problems but the second day was a different story. They ran out of milk! My kids love cereal and had to eat it without milk. They kept running out of food and the were under staffed. Very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for comments on TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize that you had a concern about the cobwebs in your room and running out of milk at breakfast during your stay at Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest. We value your business and sincerely regret that the level of service was not what you expected and deserved.

Brian Handyside
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We visited this particular hotel last year on a family trip to Six Flags. We chose it because of the free dinner/breakfast buffets included in with the price. The price of the hotel stay was surprisingly low considering you get the 2 meals included. For a family of 5 on a budget the free meals are a huge deal! The staff was super friendly, the food was better than I expected, and my kids loved the cool indoor/outdoor pool that was separated by a clear "wall". The rooms are clean, the beds were just fine, and the staff was very accommodating. You can definitely tell that Drury Hotels pride themselves on excellent customer service. Any request we had was taken seriously and met with no problems at all whatsoever.

It gripes me to get in here and see people going on about the children being "noisy" or "out of control" ....if you're staying at a hotel this close to Six Flags, you should use better judgment when selecting a hotel and prepare yourself for the possibility that families with children are staying there. Well, OF COURSE there will be children there..... It's 10 minutes down the interstate from an amusement park! Besides, that's not the hotel's fault... That is in the parents of these children running amuck in public.

• Stayed August 2011
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Fenton
Holiday Inn Saint Louis West Six Flags
The Wildwood Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Holiday Inn Express Fenton

Been to Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest? Share your experiences!