“Very Rud, Spend Your Money Elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Indian Harvest

Indian Harvest
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Union
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very Rud, Spend Your Money Elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

We were doing Route 66, when we noticed the tee-pees, and decided to have a look. After exiting our car, and as I was about to snap a photo, a woman comes out and yells that there is a $2 entrance fee, which could be used toward merchandise in her store. She then went on yelling "Photo's don't pay the bills!" I was not about to pay $2 just to go into her store, particularly after the rude greeting, so we declined, and started back to our car. The woman continued to rant, saying "Thank You for Wasting My Time!!", and that she knew our type and that we wouldn't have purchased anything anyway! For the record, we made several purchase along 66, before and after this woman's place. As we were leaving a man came out with a camera pointed at us. I honestly don't see how someone like this stays in business!! Save yourself the frustration, stay away from Indian Harvest, this is unquestionably the WORST stop along Route 66!

Visited May 2014
10 Thank John R

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Think of it as performance art or social commentary and you are fine...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

People are looking at this place entirely the wrong way...

This is one of the few Route 66 destinations where you are guaranteed a show. Think of it as a piece of performance art on Route 66; or think of it like one of those restaurants where the staff is supposed to act overly mean (like Ed Debevics).

I was there in 2009 and got the show. Indian guy looking mean, glaring at me, holding a shovel; his wife yelling about us taking a picture and turning around messing up the rocks. She was in exceptionally fine voice that day and it was very entertaining.

The consistency of the performance is really impressive - as is their commitment. There are always there. Have you ever heard of someone that visited without meeting them?

This place affords a good opportunity to take Route 66 'noobs' there so they can get yelled at. Encourage them to start taking pictures right when they get out of the car AND then ask the lady where they can throw away some garbage out of the car.... Hilarity will ensue!

The only thing that would make it better was if I actually could have gotten INTO the teepees to see the stuff for sale. That sounds like it's pretty rare; kinda like getting backstage at 'Cats' or something. Hardy anyone gets out of the driveway. Well, maybe next time.

Visited March 2014
14 Thank Route66dude
Baton Rouge, La.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Crazy people run this place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My girlfriend tried to visit this place to just be ran off before even getting out of her car. She always carries a camera with her and loves taking pictures with other potential visitors. When she pulled in to the parking lot she took a picture started to pull forward to park and get out and this man started screaming at her to leave. Then a woman came out and started screaming. She told the woman she wanted to see their shop and the woman called her a bold face liar. In the mean time another car pulled in behind her and an elderly couple maybe in their late sixties got out of their car and as they approached the building tried to take a picture. The man and women started screaming at them too and told them to leave. As my girlfriend was backing up the lady told the man to take pictures of both the car's plates. My girlfriend really felt sickened by the way they treated her. She really did want to go in and see what they have for sale. Being of American Indian blood it meant a lot to her…

Visited October 2013
11 Thank Madwand
Oxford, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Worst Stop on Route 66”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I can't say much that hasn't already been said. I do want to start out by saying that this is the worst stop on Route 66, and if you're reading this while on Route 66, please know that this is the worst it will ever get and your experience will be much better everywhere else. These are the only people on Route 66 who are anything like this.

I pulled up in my '68 Ford and they came running out of the tee pees and yelling that I couldn't take pictures. The man complained about me messing up the rocks, telling me that when I was on the road my tax dollars from gasolien paid for it but he had to pay for his rocks. He told me it was $2 to take pictures or see what they had and I told him if he wanted to treat me like that I would leave. He insisted that my dad back straight back out and not turn around in his driveway and mess it up, then called me a "Loser like all the other tourists" and told me to get away from their property.

These people should be homeless. This place is the worst I have ever been treated in my entire life and I am still dumbfounded two weeks later that these people treated me as poorly as they did. I have filed complained with the BBB of Eastern Missouri and Southern Illinois and with the Route 66 Association of Missouri, which lists this place as one of their supporting business members.

Visited June 2013
26 Thank Duane B
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Agree with all other reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I stopped here today as we are travelling along Route 66. We were driving past and saw the tepees and we were interested as to what was there. Unlike the other reviews we were not met by a crazy woman but it was raining heavily. We went straight into the tepee that had an open sign on it and there was a man in there and we were welcomed and he did chat a little. We browsed abit but felt uncomfortable as the man kept staring at us and he was constantly saying prices of things.

The shop was ok but not to our taste it just seemed like alot of expensive old tat. I tried to start a conversation with the man but he just ignored me. We then decided to leave and go and take a picture of the tepees before we left.

The man followed us out and locked the door of the tepee and he went into another tepee and in that tepee I could see a woman standing at the door. It was still raining so I decided to go back to our rental car and my husband was going to take a photo and come to the car.

Once I got into the car a woman came out of the tepee and shouted at my husband "go away get out of here you can't take photos here". There was no mention of the $2 fee but I can very much believe it.

It is people like this that can ruin Route 66 and maybe they should take and interest in people and not be so rude and have abit more than old Indian tat in their shop! Certainly would not recommend!

Visited June 2013
15 Thank Peerieclaire

Been to Indian Harvest? Share your experiences!