Marriott St. Louis West
$134
$76
$81
ExtendedStay
Comfort Inn St Louis - Westport(Maryland Heights)(Great Value!)
$76
All reviewsthe concierge loungefront deskoutdoor pooloffice parkmarriott stthe king size bedminute driveordered room servicest louiscorner roommini fridgetoniplatinumtoiletriesgmrenovationhousekeeper
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the St. Louis West Marriott Hotel over Memorial Day weekend. We chose the hotel for price and location (near family we were visiting), but were pleasantly surprised by the outstanding service from the staff, the "current" decor and cleanliness. The hotel features both indoor and outdoor pools, fitness center and whirlpool spa. But the most outstanding feature is its setting. Located in an urban office park, the hotel backed to a wooded area with a system of walking trails that connected the hotel with nearby office buildings, Maryville College and St. Luke's Hospital. It is about two blocks off very busy Highway 40, but the use of fountains in surrounding lakes nearly elimate traffic noise while at the pool or on the grounds. We never heard any traffic while inside the hotel. Our room was spacious and the king size bed was comfortable with the typical upscale bedding, down comforter, etc. Our only complaints with the room were that the bed faces the window wall, not the TV, and the gap under the door allowed a lot of light into the room at night. This hotel had the lowest per night price over the holiday weekend of the dozen, or so, lodging options along Highway 40 in this area, including the "roadside" motels. We will definitely return to this hotel on our annual visit next year.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the St. Louis Marriott West and we were very pleased with our stay from start to finish. The hotel must have been renovated recently. They lobby and restaurant was freshly updated and the folks at the front desk were very nice! There was a reception on the back pool deck that overlooked a small lake and fountain. We wished we were part of the group but it looked like a private party.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I just finished two separate week long stays at the Marriott St. Louis West. During the week, it sure felt like this hotel's business is the business traveler, and there are a number of big office buildings scattered along the hills and trees around the Maryville University campus where this Marriott can be found. If your budget is a bit tighter, there's also a smaller Courtyard by Marriott on the same campus, about a half mile from this Marriott.

Overall, the property looks like it was built in the 1980's, but it's been kept up with the times (the lobby and bar areas seem very modern). The lower level (i.e. basement) holds the indoor pool (not too wide, but certainly long enough for doing laps), steam room and jacuzzi, a gym with nice equipment (four treadmills, two cross training machines, a bike -- all with individual TV's attached -- plus a free weight set and a weight bench), and a laundry room. The whole property lies along a pretty little river that cuts through the Maryville University campus. There are walking trails on both sides of the river and a bridge or two that crosses over it, so if there's time during your stay, you can get in a scenic walk in a nicely forested area.

On the weekend, the Marriott handles a *lot* of wedding receptions, but I didn't get to see any of them happening during the week (I just saw the various balloons, props, etc. lying around). People staying here on "block" rates for weddings will likely get a very good deal (wedding party room rates I saw on some flyers that were bundled up near the front desk were less than $100 per night per room).

As I was staying on a corporate rate ($125 per night) for both my stays, I stayed in rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The rooms were perfectly comfortable and fine. Nicely sized regular CRT/tube style TV's were hidden in a combination entertainment center & dresser combination. My guess is that the higher floors (floor 7 is the "Concierge Level", floor 8 has the actual "Concierge Lounge") have the renovated rooms. The bathroom amenities were the standard Bath & Body Works stuff (facial & bath soap bars, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shoe mitt). Forgot any toiletries at home? There's a tiny "shop" area next to the reception desk where I was able to buy a can of shaving cream that I had forgotten to bring with me.

There are no room safes in the room. Other reviews here complained about a lack of mini-fridges (there's no minibar or empty mini fridges in the room, either), but I overheard a conversation at the front desk where a guest asked to have a fridge delivered to the room and it was going to be set up, so I believe these can be arranged.

Wireless Internet is $9.95 per day. But if you're a Marriott Rewards Elite member (even a lowly "Silver" one like me), internet was free for the entire stay. They provided me with a coupon code upon checkin. On one of my stays they applied some notes to my folio and I even though I clicked "bill to room" for internet for subsequent days, I was never charged. On another stay, I came down each day to get a new code and was provided with one. They gave me the same code pretty much every time (i.e. they're reused... so try this one out and lemme know if it works -- [-] :-). If you get one coupon code, you should be able to reuse it again and again each day.

There's two ways to do breakfast here. The "Bluefire Grille" restaurant has a relatively nice breakfast buffet for $14, complete with a chef cooking up your favorite egg specialties in one corner of the serving area, plus a wide selection of different hot items (sausage, potatoes, blintzes If you are a "Marriott Elite", or if you paid some appropriate rate, you'll have access to the Concierge Lounge on the 8th floor, where almost everything is complimentary (i.e. free). They'll have one hot breakfast plate (some form of scrambled eggs: on different days it was plain scrambled eggs, other days eggs plus cheese, eggs plus sausage bits, etc.), cereal, yogurt, bagels, oatmeal; not nearly the same spread that's available at the downstairs Grille buffet. Evening appetizers also get served in the lounge, usually with one "hot" item (e.g. chicken skewers, mini quiches, etc). The only thing that costs in the lounge will be the alcohol. It's "honor bar" style, you write down what you drank and your room is billed. I believe the idea of the lounge is to have a "snack", but to truly satisfy an appetite, go to the restaurant downstairs. Prices downstairs aren't too obnoxious, by hotel standards. My meal bills in the restaurant usually ended up at about $30 for one of the salads, an appetizer and a glass of wine.

The parking lot gets full in the evening, so if you can't find any spots in there, simply drive into the "Marriot parking" designated part of the structure instead. Yes, it can be a bit tricky to find if you're arriving after dark. There's a Courtyard by Marriot in the same general area. There are small "Marriott" signs (with arrows, pointing the direction) that can guide you as you drive along the Outer road and get into within range.

As plenty of other reviews have noted, this hotel can be stayed in for super cheap on Priceline reservations, and my corporate rate was $129 (but I was kept in a non-upgraded room). If you're pricing it out, I'd say this hotel should be a good value up to $200 or so per night.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MichaelInSF
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I booked this hotel through Priceline for $34; including taxes and fees of $12.55, my total cost was $46.55, which I think was a very good value for this property. I didn't have time to sample much of the hotel, as I checked in late and checked out early the next morning.

This is a full-service hotel located in a small office park next to a small university. It is a quiet, out-of-the-way setting, which can be both good or bad depending on your needs and wants. I had a car, so it wasn't a problem for me. Just be aware there isn't any shopping or other restaurants within walking distance (that I could see, anyway).

It is tricky to find, especially at night, as the signage and lighting are understated. If you don't have GPS, get good directions before trying to find it.

There were a couple of weddings being held there the night I stayed, and there was some hallway noise on the sixth floor where I stayed. From inside my room I could easily hear conversations in the hall and doors opening and closing. This is a common trait of many hotels; I don't feel like this Marriott is particularly bad in this regard. However, I wish they could find a way to muffle the noise.

The indoor pool seemed to be nicely heated. The fitness room had quite a few treadmills, but I didn't see any weight machines. They are supposedly building a laundry room for guests.

Other than the weddings, the hotel was mostly empty the night I stayed, which is likely why I was able to get it at such a good rate on Priceline.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I wasn't there long enough to try the restaurant. My guest room was nice.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Retropia
Reviewed November 23, 2008

A classmate and myself had the opportunity to attend a convention in St Louis at the MArysville campus . It was a occupational convention for the MIssouri Occupational Therapy Association . Money is always tight and we stay on a budget. The Convention was for 3 days the first night we arrived was Thrus day night . My classmate /roomate 's dad booked ahead for the two night stay. WHen we got there we were expecting to pay the set rate of $69.00 that offered for the convention. Instead the hotel charged 250.00 for the night. I was appauled and so was she. SHe tried to explain the set rate was $69.00 but was turned down and rejected. I was very upset because we didnt have that kind of money as students that was rediculous after all we were told by the hotel the rate was for the convention rate. That kind of charge should have been on the 7th floor it was not as nice as the upper floors ,no microwave, refrigerator, nothing was extra. I feel like we were ripped off, and there was no gun . I will never stay at a MArriot i anywhere again and I will tell my professional friends of the medical field how I and my friend were treated.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)