“BEST SEA BASS EVER”

John Mineo's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Yes, this is an excellent Italian restaurant, but if you like sea bass, Mineo's is the place to go. I have been around the world, and have yet to find a better prepared and more tasty sea bass. The service is good, the portions are big, the prices are high, but the food is excellent. Don't see what you want on the menu? Ask! If they can make it, they will make it. This is not my favorite St. Louis area Italian restaurant, but you can't beat the sea bass at Mineo's.

1  Thank Bob S

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Still one of the best old school restaurants in town. Excellent service and owners that still care what the customers want. Specials are good but they don't need them because they will custom cook what you are after. The patio area is a new touch last year and on a good night a fine place to sit. Great Service, Food and staff that care.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

OK, I remember when Mineo's was the place to take a client to impress. There are well attired wait staff, plenty of table side service and the food used to be elegent.

I brought my cousin to dinner last month and it was sad to see how far in food quality a damned fine restaurant can fall, so fast.

The minestrone, could have come from a can, and was devoid of flavor and vegetables. Sorry, for the price it should have some taste.

I ordered my all time favorite, the squid, and was served rubber bands in pepper sauce.

The dishes my wife and cousin had were better, but clearly not in the fifty dollar range without wine or desert.

I am a casual kind of guy, but wearing shorts to dinner and being seated is a bit too far. On the way out I looked for the "No shirt, no shoes, no service sign."

A terrible disapointment. The next time I want to spend that kind of money, Kemolls, Tony's or Al's will get my business.

1  Thank Stu K
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We got a groupon for Christmas and decided to go after reading the previous reviews. I have to say they are fairly accurate. This is "old world/old school" dining with tablecloths, all the staff well dressed and tableside preparation. The service was excellent and the chef stopped by before ordering and answered our questions about the menu (our first time here). The house dressing is extremely light and we enjoyed a simple house salad. My wife ordered the sea bass and it lived up to expectations. Hot in the middle, delicate, delicious and a generous portion. She got the sauce on the side as she is not much of a sauce person. She ate all the mushrooms in the sauce! I had the seafood pasta and it was a delight. It was full of seafood but, more importantly, had an excellent broth which didn't overpower and enabled you to enjoy all of the ingredients. I can see where the atmosphere was mentioned in another review as stuffy but I think that if you know that going in it's not a big deal. I will say that besides some individuals that were there with larger parties or families, we were the youngest people there. It was a truly romantic dinner. I reminded me more of Dominic's than Tony's.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I bought a groupon to use at this restaurant.
We had a very early reservation and I am glad we did.
The restaurant is very nice. White table clothes and waiters standing around waiting to get you anything.
While this is wonderful and I have to say that the food was excellent..it was somewhat stuffy.
Think Tony's without the dinner jacket.
I rated the service less because this is not a restaurant that seems to appreciate kids. Younger ones not so much anyway.
We dined with our older child. What was a little uncomfortable was that there was not one person under the age of 30 in this restaurant.
We all had a very good meal and were glad to have the groupon which saved us paying an expensive bill, and that was without drinks.
i would recommend this restaurant to anyone. As I said the food was really good. Just don't take young children.