“Staying in a tent would be better”

Orleans Trail Resort Marina
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stockton
Orleans Trail Resort Marina
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stockton
Kansas
“Staying in a tent would be better”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family and I arrived on Friday before Labor Day around 10pm and had a reservation for the cabins. When we checked in they gave us wrong directions to our cabin # and I was pulling a 21 foot boat so having to circle around and turn around to find the cabin was not fun at all. When we did get to the cabin we opened it up and were hit with the worst smell of a mix of decay and mold. The place was somewhat clean but there was fish food in one of the drawers and used Q tips on the shelf, not acceptable at all. My wife and son have bad allergies to mold and such so I told them to pack it up and I went down to the office to tell them my problems with the cabin. The (kids) working behind the counter offered no apology and told me that all the cabins smell that way due to the fishermen that frequent them and they always try to let people know this when booking a room, (No they don't). I told them I would like a room in the newer motel or my money back and we would just leave. The best they could do was a 15% discount for the new room which was fine because I didn't want to have the weekend ruined. After I booked this room the girl working asked how long we had been there and if the room in the cabin would have to be cleaned (I would say so since it wasn't clean to begin with) cause she would have to charge me the cleaning fee. We had just checked in less than 30 min. ago. Now onto the next newer room. This was nice but small with 2 queen beds having a 10 and 5 year old with us. House keeping only changes out the towels they didn't take out any trash which collected over the weekend for a pretty hefty pile by Monday. The carpet never got vacuumed and the beds never got remade and they kept turning the A/C off which sucked due to the extreme humidity and heat.
I have stayed in some pretty bad places in some bad areas and have been treated like a king at them. This place is one of a few places to stay around the lake so I guess keeping paying guests happy is not at the top of their list. Now onto the Marina - I over-payed for a slip for my 21 foot boat that would accommodate up-to a 16 foot boat so if you need a slip for a larger boat find somewhere else to slip it. My family and I love Stockton lake and will frequent it in the future just at a different place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Charlie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had the worst experience here. If you are planning a trip here don't waste your time. Rooms were dirty food at the restaurant was gross waitress was mean, and the highlight was ron (the owner) waving around a pistol telling us we ant walk to the water.what a freaking psycho!!

• Stayed June 2012
12 Thank 187thelegend

Travelers are raving about these Stockton hotels

Springfield, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We had to stay in the older rooms the first night because none of the newer ones were available. They are definitely for fishermen or people who don't mind bugs. The next night we got to stay in the newer part which was really nice! I loved the soap and shampoo dispensers in the bathroom. There weren't many channels on the television however, the room was very clean and aesthetically pleasing. The restaurant there had wonderful wait staff and really good food. I will be staying again next year for sure!

Room Tip: Book ahead and get a room in the newer part of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Newer part of hotel was nice. The older rooms were outdated and smelled of mildew, so we paid the extra $20 for the upgrade to the newer section. The dod at the resturant was FANTASTIC. Great waitstaff, good atmosphere. Will definitely be back. Only downside is you only get 5 channels on the tv...

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Kimbalzer1976
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed in unit 131 in the older facility. The room was very basic, not dirty but it didn't look clean either. We were greeted by a large spider right on one of the pillows, but it is at a lake so I'm willing to overlook a few spiders and bugs here and there. Cobwebs on the nightstand and in the bathroom. The room was in desperate need of updating. We ate at the restaurant, and the food was really good and server was very nice. The pool looked fine, but we didn't swim in it at all. Our friends rented a slip for their boat, and the marina seemed fine. The lake itself is amazing... so smooth, and on a Saturday in July was practically empty.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jamie1900
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed August 6, 2010

The food sucks, the service at the marine is horrible. They are all so very rude. I am in my thirties but was highly turned on by the owner Ron when he offered to walk me to my boat while I was s*** faced.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank sailgirl69
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Stockton has become my second home in the past 7 years. The owners and staff are so personable and helpful, I look foward to seeing them every weekend! The large rooms are perfect for bringing friends and dogs on the trip. Besides swimming in the lake, i enjoy dipping in the pool - I will keep comming back !!!!!
Tami

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elegantcanine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton
Comfort Inn Bolivar
#1 of 1 in El Dorado Springs
Super 8 Bolivar
Super 8 Bolivar
#1 of 2 in Bolivar

Been to Orleans Trail Resort Marina? Share your experiences!