Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
$55
Priceline
$110
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We rented the "Brown Cottage" for a 2 night stay. The pictures they had emailed looked very nice, and the picture they sent of the river view taken from the deck was just beautiful, and was what sold us on it being a great place for a weekend getaway.

As it turned out, that awesome river view was not so awesome, because it was the float trip drop off and as such it was full of rafts and canoes and kayaks and life jackets, and there was also a camper set up directly in front of us. That was a little disappointing, to say the least, but not enough to ruin the weekend or anything.

The cabin, however, was awful, truly awful. Every single drawer and door we opened revealed a ridiculous amount of mouse feces. Every.Single.Drawer! Ugh. Every light switched on revealed huge roaches scurrying in every direction, including down into the huge floor vent in the middle of the living room. The ceiling fan lights were full of swarming and crawling bugs, including some very large ones on the blades, so we didn't dare turn on the fans. There were gaping holes in the floors and walls.

I had taken along a jug of indoor pesticide that had a hose and spray nozzle attached (as an afterthought) as we were packing up the tent for the tent campers in our party. As soon as we got into the cabin and saw the holes and bugs everywhere we sprayed the bug spray around the perimeters of the rooms, and soaked paper towels and "plugged" the holes. That was Friday evening. Saturday evening showed no improvement whatsoever - roaches were still scurrying all over the place. UGH.

We were literally arguing over who "got" to sleep in the tents. NONE of us wanted to sleep in that awful cabin. The only good thing about the cabin was the vinyl mattress covers, which were intact and clean looking, and the air conditioning worked. I didn't dare peak at the mattresses but the foundations that they were sitting on literally looked like they'd been plucked out of trash dumpsters. They were horribly stained - just nasty! We were very thankful we had our own bedding to sleep in, at least.

There was a king mattress on the floor in the front bedroom, and two ?full? sized mattresses in the back bedroom (on the floor, butted up against each other, and they took up the entire room so the bedroom door couldn't be closed.) There was also a king mattress on the floor in the corner in the dining room area. Really? What in the world was that about? No clue. The cabin had a max capacity of 6 people and there were mattresses to accommodate 8, in addition to the futon. My best guess was that the one in the dining room was a recent acquisition from a trash dumpster. The glass top coffee table in the pictures didn't exist. The pieces of the table base were shoved into the dining room corner, though, against that lovely king size mattress. LOL. It's been long enough now it's almost becoming funny - but it sure wasn't funny at the time!

We dropped almost a thousand dollars for the two nights' "accommodations" and a one day float, and it really was by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed. It is really a shame, because the location was great and the cabin definitely had potential but it needs a lot of work, some deep cleaning, and an Exterminator!

There are much, much better options in that area. Oh, and we bought the nephews each a t-shirt on our way out when we stopped to drop off the key, and the young girl working the register quoted us a higher price than what the sign indicated, and then she turned around and overcharged us over and above the inflated price she'd quoted!

Our advice is to avoid this place like the plague...In fact, I still shudder just thinking about it!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere if you're searching for a cabin.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank landlocked1
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went to spend the weekend with a large group that uses the site annually. I am not a camper so we booked a cabin (B1) for the weekend.The porch was covered with leftover food crumbs and grease. The cabin did have a flushing toilet and working window air conditioner but the carpet was filthy, stained and damp and the baseboard heat was on when we checked in, it took us about an hour to figure out why the cabin wasn't cooling down. The bed had sprung springs and was extremely uncomfortable. The float was one of the best I have been on, absolutely incredible! The floating staff and bus driver were polite, humorous and efficient.
The worst part of the trip was the lack of hot water when we returned from our float Saturday evening. Our cabin neighbors had hot water earlier and we assumed that we just needed to wait for the hot water heater to heat up. By the time we figured out the water wasn't going to get warm the lodge office was closed. We woke early on Sunday to try to bathe but the water was still ice cold. When checking out the staff was indifferent to our complaints and said that we should have just showered in the camp bathhouses. I attempted to explain that the reason we reserved cabin accommodations was to have the amenities listed, the clerk just shrugged her shoulders. Wonderful float, breathtaking part of the river, with a great group of friends but I wouldn't recommend renting a cabin.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melsie S
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Let me be clear, this is not a resort and spa. Not a honeymoon location, and not a place for a nice romantic weekend - it is camping - roughing it. We went on a family float trip with some staying in cabins and some camping. This is an old resort, built in the 1920's. The Roost appears to be the best of their cabins on the property; it is a step up from a tent but only because it has A/C and a bathroom. If you want wilderness lodging and not stay in an RV or tent then the cabins are possibly a step up.

The Roost has A/C,claims to sleep ten, but there are only beds for eight comfortably (I use that term loosely; two of our ten slept on the 2 couches); and it has a bathroom. There are some basic kitchen appliances (small stove, coffee maker, and fridge). The cabin is dirty, inside and out and stinks. We brought along some basic cleaning stuff to wipe down the table, and counter, beds, etc. and some air freshener spray. The A/C and fridge was cold and the plumbing worked - that is about it.

In the Roost you have a great view of the river and campground below from the wrap around porch. The hot tub is okay, it is clean but not real hot, and no privacy.

Some of our family camped and had a river front site. They didn't have too many complaints about the site. We used the campsite to access the river and hang out in the river on the day before the float. Our family said the campground rest rooms and bath houses were NASTY; the worst they have seen, bodily fluids (of all types) on the floor.

If you choose to stay here, don't take the meal plan, it is not worth it. The breakfast flavor is ok; however, they serve you on the "buffet" and cheat you on the portions, a half a spoon full of food and one trip through only. The dinner is a repeat of breakfast, just different food choices - half a spoon full.

The float trip went well, no issue and a lot of fun but you can get this at any of the river float groups on the river. Our bus driver was nice and fun! They bus you to the start location and your float back down to the campground which was nice. Float staff are very nice.

This could be a great place if management spent some time taking care of it. Great view of the river and a lot of potential. A garden hose spraying down the outsides of the buildings would do wonders. They need to get rid of their old junk from around the lodge. There are no trash cans around so people just leave their trash around until the end of the weekend, I guess, trash piled up in areas.

If you don't have high expectations then take a chance. We didn't feel like it was worth the money - we won't be staying again!

Room Tip: Somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Irishrover1019
Reviewed May 20, 2013

First, let me point out that I don't expect a 5-star room when I rent a cabin, but I do expect the bare essentials to at least be met. My wife and I stayed in The Roost for our anniversary, and judging by the pictures on their website, it looked incredible. However, upon arriving to our cabin it was anything but. For starters, the cabins are all squished together so you get absolutely no privacy, which is annoying but it isn't exactly their fault, so I was able to deal with that. What I couldn't deal with was the fact that when walking into the cabin, I noticed one of the windows was broken. Of course, they were aware of this because instead of actually fixing the window, they duct taped the broken window with pizza boxes to seal the hole. This was laughable at best, and if that was the only problem with The Roost, I could have overlooked that.

We entered the cabin, and the entire place was tiny - in no way could this place fit 10 people! The pictures made the cabin look spacious and luxurious, but it was simply a rathole. The television had a satellite box hooked up to it, yet they had never set up the receiver to watch television so it was basically worthless. The only remote control in the room was to a broken DVD player in the corner of the room too, so again, the setup was worthless. As for the two couches, they were old but comfortable (much more comfortable than the bed - more on that in a moment). The dining room table and chairs were just that - a table and chairs, nothing out of the ordinary. As for the refrigerator, the entire side was rusted but it worked well so no big deal. Basically, the entire kitchen area was decent, but when moving to the bedroom and bathroom, things took a turn for the worst.

Let me just say when I opened the bedroom door, I couldn't. Why? Because the bed was too long for the room. Moreover, they hadn't bothered to clean the bedroom either (or the entire cabin for that matter) as my wife found two half full water bottles under the bed. There was a hole in the door, black markings all over the walls, and the bed was awful. It felt like sleeping on a couch bed, and add to the fact that the heating and air unit squeaked loudly all night, and it's safe to say we didn't get a lot of sleep.

As for the bathroom, the toilet ran all night despite checking it to see if the chain had broken off, jiggling the handle - basically the normal things you can do to stop a toilet from running. The shower was also pretty bad as it would be warm one minute, then become scalding hot the next for no reason. The shower curtain was only cloth - no plastic was in front of it to keep the curtain from getting soaked, and because it had been like this for a while, the curtain smelled terrible.

I didn't really go upstairs very much, but it looked about as disgusting as the rest of the cabin.

As for outside, the hot tub was decent, although there wasn't enough water in it to begin with. In addition, ants covered the entire deck, so if you wanted to enjoy the hot tub, you better watch your step while walking on the deck.

I also have to say that when we stayed there (May), mosquitoes were horrible. This isn't their fault in any way, but if you plan to leave your cabin and do some fishing, think again. Mosquitoes were so bad I couldn't stand to be outside by the river, so if you want to do some fishing outside of your cabin, go somewhere else.

Finally, parking was horrible here. If you're going to have a bunch of cabins close together, at least have appropriate parking.

Honestly, I would stay anywhere else but here. You can definitely tell they don't care one way or another what condition their cabin is in (especially The Roost), and if you need proof, go look for yourself and look at the pizza boxes used to hold one of the windows together. Inexcusable!

Room Tip: Stay away, go to any place other than here!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank D W
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at the Birds Nest Lodge with a few friends for New Years and we had a great time. The cabin was clean and roomy, and the hot tub was already heated up waiting for us. I loved that they allow pets so you can bring your whole family along with you. The area is gorgeous, especially with fresh snow. We were one of only two groups up for that weekend so i would highly recommend staying during the winter for the peace and tranquility. We were treated very well by the owner and he even gave us free firewood so we didnt have to scavange in the snow for our own. Make sure to bring your own cooking supplies, untensils, and linens because they are not included but we were told beforehand and were prepared. The area is great because its far enough out to be away, but still only miles to town for anything you forgot. For the price i think this is a great time for friends or family and will be coming back for the summer. I do not know what everyone thinks is so negative about the Birds Nest, I think this is a great place owned by kind people.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends