“Enter the Jesse James Hideout”
Review of Meramec Caverns

Meramec Caverns
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Stanton
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovered in 1716 and later used as a hideout for the notorious Jesse James, this large cavern contains five floors of unusual formations.
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Meramec Caverns is famous for:
1. Jesse James hideout
2. Mineral formation

The formations are nice. Outside the caverns, you can enjoy do a zipline.

Maybe, we selected the wrong day but there were no visitors. I remember as a kid when I visited the place, a group tour photo used to be taken as a memory. This time around there was no photographer. I didn't enjoy much.

3  Thank AarushiGoel
There are newer reviews for Meramec Caverns

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I have been to meramec many times and thought I would go with my wife we took one look at the $20 a person price and went on our way. It is unfortunate as the caverns are quite nice but not worth that price. BTW. Kids are $10 each!

3  Thank bsf80
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We really enjoyed visiting Meramec caverns! We were a little late and they caught us up to a group that had just left. The caverns are beautiful, and the guided tour informative and fun. Pretty easy walking. Nice souvenir shop and facilities. We just did the cave tour, but the other stuff looked cool too.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Jesse James Hideout! This was a cool experience and we really enjoyed it. It was our first stop on our drive out west and was an excellent way to begin. Our tour guide was not happy and we did get the impression we were interrupting his breaks but he was informative. The lights are no joke - they will leave you in the dark which is terrifying. I am not afraid of the dark but it is pitch black and spooky. That is 100% how they keep you from falling behind - I was busy taking pictures and realized I was about to be left behind so had to make haste to catch up. The tour was not overly crowded and we were able to see and take pictures of everything. This was one of my first cavern tours so I wasn't sure what to expect but it was really outstanding. Why only 4 our of five then? The guide. He could have made this experience awesome but he was far too blah about it. I will go back - this is a great thing to do with family.

1  Thank BottleSunshine
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Even though this cave has amazing formations and some great history, there were way to many people on our tour to hear what the tour guide was saying. If you go, then try to go during an off season.

2  Thank Stephanie730