“Into the depths!”
Review of Meramec Caverns

Meramec Caverns
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Stanton
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovered in 1716 and later used as a hideout for the notorious Jesse James, this large cavern contains five floors of unusual formations.
Anchorage, Alaska
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Into the depths!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have never been into any caverns or caves, I have always wanted to though and got my chance.
The caverns started in the unavoidable gift shops complete with Ice cream shop (nice touch in the summer, I would think)
I walked into this building that faced a shear cliff, The granite imposing and towering over me. With a sense of anticipation I waited in the room in which I was placed (not really but it makes the story fun, they actually tell you to look around and see the history of the place) Time ticks on and my sense of anticipation climbs with each moment.
Finally they call for me, there are others also, embarking on this adventure.
we enter the caverns from the main floor and the rock surrounds us as we await our guild. The light show us a Large room, the rock is on all sides, pitted and hard as the bones of the earth, There is an odd sparkling up in the roof (not spoiling the surprise but it is kinda silly, I liked it!) and a passage on the other side of the chamber in which we are in. We approach the passage and hear words of history ( a few, didn't do a lot of talking) and enter into another world.
onward we walk downward we go, I hear water! a falls it sounds like!, it turns out to be a shallow river that runs through the caverns. after awhile we begin to feel something dropping on our heads, water from the ceiling. The roof of the passage starts to sprout.
Well running out of time so
The cavernous walk was not to strenuous and the guild was willing to wait for those that needed it, the ending was awesome, saw many stalagmite and stalactites was a good tour with a few surprises.
I would recommend it even if you have been to bigger or better caverns just to see the way it is set out.

Hannibal, Missouri
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Day off from school”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We took our grandchildren to Meramec Caverns. They were very impressed with the beauty and history of the caverns. The restaurant had good food and the gift shop had splendid selections, not just your usual trouristy type stuff. They had a nice selection of rock specimens as well. You can spend the weekend, camping, floating, canoeing and ziplining. Its a great spot and a must visit for a weekend for all ages.

Saint Charles, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

What an incredible experience! If you are in the area - it is a must see, and if you are not - make the trip. Once you step inside, before you even buy your tickets, you get a feel for the magnitude of this cavern. Once you are on tour, it gets better and better, and the formations take your breath away - some are millions of years old, and are absolutely massive. Our family absolutely loved this day trip and I know we will be back, it was a family favorite. Wear comfortable shoes with a good grip, the floors can get slippery in several spots - although there are handrails to help you if needed. Also wear a sweatshirt or jacket, it is chilly with temperatures usually around 58F inside.

Brighton, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
“Cool cavern!!!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

If you like caverns - do not miss. Took our grandson. It was his first cave visit and he loved it. It was a big hit. Fun and educational.

Visited August 2013
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great caverns”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

What a great family getaway, go thru the caverns see history, camp out or stay in the motel
What a great canoe trip for the whole family

Visited October 2012