“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Meramec Caverns

Meramec Caverns
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Stanton
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovered in 1716 and later used as a hideout for the notorious Jesse James, this large cavern contains five floors of unusual formations.
Taunton, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Well worth a visit if you're passing by! The cave formations are quite spectacular and the light shows are lovely and kitch. One of Route 66's must view attractions.

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Caveman Zipline lots of fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

My Dad wanted an adventure to celebrate his 75th birthday, so we drove to Meramec Caverns for the zipline tour. I am not fond of heights, so was a little leery at first, but am so glad I faced my fears and tried it. Exhilarating! Dad had a good time, too. Hard to find something to do that can appeal to a wide variety of ages, so I think this would appeal to families. It took about an hour and a half to complete the 4 zips. I found a coupon online, which helped save a few dollars. A unique outing, with bragging rights!

berwick
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Must see, spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Very well run private attraction with knowledgeable, competent staff. The tour guide was exceptional with his presentation of the caverns, not only the folklore associated with the caverns but with the geographical information. The ability to photograph within the caverns is a bonus. I would highly recommend this attraction and am pleased to support a private attraction of such quality. Cool in the caverns, bring a sweater.

Saint Louis, Missouri
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“72 year round”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

As with all caves this place is 72 degrees year round. Nice tour though the cavern, especialy nice if you have a facination for history.

Marshfield, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Way to expensive for what you get....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

My family and I went to Meramec Cavern cave tour today. To start things off, it cost about $80 for a family of 5. The group we were a part of was HUGE!!! There should be a limit to the number of people allowed in each group. There were so many people that you were unable to see most of the sites and none of us could hear what the tour guide had to say. By the time we were able to get into each area, they were shutting the lights off for that portion of the cave.

To make matters even worse (and this is not the fault of the cave owners) the group we were doing the tour with was extremely rude. People were literally pushing and shoving to get to the front of the group. One man nearly shoved my mother down more than once. This same group was rude during the light show and made rude comments about the American Flag. But, I do feel like the tour guide should have shown some authority and took control of the situation.

Then the icing on the cake.....the tour guide (while passing another guide) told him that we were complaining about the size of the group. All we had done was ask if they offered a private tour. The tour guides only answer to any question we asked was that things were not done because it would not be a profit to the owners. They were very focused on money and I do not feel like it should have been mentioned at all during the tour. The main focus was to get as many people charged and into the cave as possible.

This was an awful experience for us and I will not be returning. This was my second trip into the cave and I was very disappointed. I would not waste my money on this tour if it is during a busy time. If you want to tour the cave, make sure that the group you are a part of is small enough to enjoy yourself.