“Nice idea, but poor execution”

Arbor Suites At The Mall
Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
Kankakee, Illinois
“Nice idea, but poor execution”
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Outside, this is a really nifty looking place...well-landscaped courtyard, a small pool with hot tub, gas grills for guests. The overall feel is something you'd see in Colorado (without the mountains, of course!). But, once checked in, forget about a relaxing stay. The place is teeming with kids & poorly behaved adults (keep in mind this is near Branson, MO). The noise level outside in the evening is similar to a well-attended cocktail party (disappointing, since they have nice patios set up, with background music & subtle lighting). Most of the noise seems to be coming from a bunch of poorly maintained air conditioners, but skateboarding kids bumping into you add to the ambience (at 11:30 PM!). Access to the pool & hot tub is limited to the most aggressive guests & whatever private party is being conducted in that area predominates.

The "continental breakfast" is an experience. The usual array of items is presented, but guests seem to feel that this is an all-you-can-eat buffet & conduct themselves accordingly. Items are not replenished and there is an almost nasty competetiveness in the breakfast area (and all I wanted was a cup of coffee & some juice!). Comments were made by guests as I waited for a coffee cup lid (which I had to ask for...took 15 minutes for a very harried desk clerk to find some "upstairs"), indicating that they were not happy with the quantity of food available. Kids pushing, adults staring...was I going to take that last tablespoon of Fruit Loops?The American tourist mentality seems to not understand that continental breakfast is only supposed to be a courtesy...not fuel for the entire day.

The room: While one expects a smoking room to have that telltale lingering odor, this one was disgusting. There were no less than 4 cigarette burns on the bathroom counter, along with a very large burned/melted spot on one of the counter stools. There were multiple holes in the carpet, large nicks in the paint on the wall, and gouges in the woodwork. Very sad for a property as new as this. We were informed at check-in that there is no linen service on weekends (??!), which actually translates into no housekeeping at all. There was only one wastebasket in the entire suite (which we discovered after a lengthy search...under the kitchenette sink). Walking barefoot in the room proved interesting, as several sticky spots were discovered. An ice-make in the fridge is a nice touch, but the age of the ice in the container could have been analyzed by a geologist. The 2 mismatched glasses in the cupboard looked like they had been lifted from a nearby restaurant...I'd just like to have a couple of the standard plastic-wrapped hotel ones. And the noise level inside the room was no better, because of another poorly maintained air conditioning unit inside a closet in the room. The ventilation system did nothing to keep the humidity at bay (and the A/C compressor emitted a horrific clunk when it came on), so we set the thermostat to 67 degrees & turned the fan to constant on in order to keep the room at a somewhat comfortable temperature. Opening the windows/slider door proved to be no better, due to the all-night nature of the activity outside.

The bottom line? For the price, you're much better off at the Hampton or Clarion. This felt like a dorm room during college...dirt & damage inherited from previous occupants, and an "I paid for it, so I can do whatever I want" attitude from guests. Our advice to management? While we understand that this is an "extended stay" hotel, you are attracting a calibre of guest that has little respect for the property and other guests. Raise the price 50 bucks a night to weed out some of the riff-raff. Set up some rules for the public areas and hire some staff to enforce them. And maintain the place! Hire a good HVAC guy to look at the blowers & compressors, get rid of the cigarette-burned upholstery (or better yet, make the place non smoking), and impose a penalty (maybe a security deposit) for damage to the room. Touch up the paint, repair the carpet, & keep the place clean. Dump the ice after someone checks out & start over. And provide at least the basic hotel amenities like an ice bucket, disposable glasses/cups, etc. I know these things were all available "at the desk", but, when you check in at midnight, you don't want to have to take inventory of the basic things you need & go running after them.

We won't stay there again, nor will we be seeking out other hotels "managed" by this corporation.

• Liked — Probably a good spot to "party down" in the room. BYO most everything...
  • Disliked — See review
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pwr56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Jefferson City
Reviewed June 16, 2007

This “all-suite” hotel featured functional décor, full kitchens, and high-speed wireless internet. The full kitchens include a refrigerator, microwave, oven/stove, dishwasher and a coffee maker. The dishwasher was great for our length of stay! Other extras include complimentary breakfast, a weekly complimentary pizza night, free laundry facilities and a fitness center. Oh yes and pets are allowed, no need to give your pet an unnecessary heart attack by putting them up. The staff was extremely efficient but could use a little more knowledge about surrounding entertainment. All in all a great place to get your dollars worth.

• Liked — Kitchen and the fact we could bring our pet
  • Disliked — Parking in front of my suite was already taken/full
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank USE5
St. Louis
Reviewed May 27, 2007

Our room was dark, dingy, and shabby. It was on the first floor, right on the parking lot. The walls, floors, ceiling, furniture, and bedspread were brown. Nothing seemed to have been redone since the 1970s. It was dark and cave-like. Ultra depressing and uncomfortable. We felt as if we were fugitives in hiding in a cheap motel. We stepped around broken beer bottles on our sidewalk when we left in the morning. We agreed that we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank I_Notice_Everything

Travelers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Springfield, Mo
Reviewed May 15, 2007

We selected this location based on past comments. What we did not realize that while the rooms are large, great location for shopping and restaurants -- the roaches are running the property. We were dislocated because of the ice storm, so for the past several weeks we have been complaining about roaches -- although we were given the option of another room we would only be carrying the roaches in our luggage to another room and ultimately home. They offered to give us a few nights (after our stay was completed) gratis. Now we have to have all of our belongings cleaned before we depart so we do not carry the horrible insects home. The housekeeping services are poor at best. The help at the counter is great -- nice people -- but then again they are not staying in the hotel. I should have looked a bit closer to the dates on the comments. Bring your bug spray and sleep with the lights on!!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cockroaches - horrible housekeeping services
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM_Ryan, General Manager at Arbor Suites At The Mall, responded to this review, December 19, 2007
At the Arbor Suites we realize that the heart of the property is in our outstanding staff, however we take pride in maintaining our property and preserving that “As good as being home” feeling.

To GaleP, thank you very much for your time and effort in informing us about your stay. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay. On behalf of Arbor Suites at the Mall and all of our guests, I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We have taken the necessary steps to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future. I can now assure you every issue you experienced has been resolved. We continue to be committed to providing you and all of our guests with the highest standards of service. I hope that if your plans include returning to Springfield, you will return as our guest.

Ryan Evans
Columbia, Mo
Reviewed April 3, 2007

My mother always said, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". Well, if that was the case, this would be VERY short.

First, let me say we've stayed at the Arbor Suites many times before and it was always average or better. I like to call it slightly rustic, but we always enjoyed the 2 story rooms with the kitchen and other amenities. Now it's time to search for another Springfield hotel.

Here we go...First, we arrive and check in without any problem. We booked directly through their 800# and received a great rate of $99 per night, at least we thought. Remember, always ask about the rate during check in. Our mistake. More on this later. Go to our room and it's noticeably dusty and drab. Not a huge problem, so we unload and hit the town. Come back and my wife uses the lower level bathroom. The combo light/fan sounds like a helicopter is taking off from inside the room. Again, not a huge deal. We can live with it. Kick back in the living area and watch a little TV. I notice an ant on the coffee table, so I whack the little guy. Again, nothing major, until we look by the fireplace and notice a few dozen of his brothers
and sisters. Get the wife's hairspray, take care of them and go to bed. See a couple ants upstairs, but again, after a couple ant murders they are history. Next morning we bump into housekeeping and mention the fan problem, which is now starting to smell like tires burning after being left on longer during a shower (Oh, almost forgot
...they left us a half full, or is that half empty, bottle of shampoo
from the previous guest--NICE!!) Before we could finish, she says...
"It's really loud isn't it?" I agree, then mention it smelled like it
was getting hot, so she offered to call maintenance. I don't know if only being noisy would have been enough to bring the boys from maintenance in. Returned to the room and found they remedied our noise problem by totally disconnecting the fan. I guess that was easiest. Night #2 and the ants multiplied by about 100 during the day. I guess the birth rate is high in Springfield. Tons of ants downstairs and the hair spray was out in force. Things didn't reach their peak until we found dozens in our bed. Tried shaking them out, but decided this was ridiculous and called the front desk around 11 p.m. They nicely offered to move us to a studio room, as all the comparable penthouses were full. This was fine, and they offered to deduct $40 per night from our $129 rate. Hmmm, what happened to $99 per night? It was late and we didn't want to argue, so we took room #2, at the adjusted rate of $89 per night(check any online site and this room can be booked for $79, so YIPPEE!!). At least, after some discussion, they gave us the original night at the same $89 rate, so we benefited a little. We move all our luggage to the new room. This one is much cleaner, but the air conditioning doesn't work and it's very stuffy. We make the best of it. Only the fan blows (similar to this whole hotel complex), but luckily a cold front comes through the area and we enjoy open window breezes for the final 2 nights. And to top things off, the next morning my wife asks me if I clipped my nails by the bed. I hadn't, so a small mound of toe/finger nails had been left on the carpet by the previous guests. That was really nice to find. Also, unbelievable but true, the hotel actually rented our original room the next day after we bailed. To our knowledge, no one took care of the ant problem. You could still see the little guys
crawling around the front window, so I'm guessing they were still stopping by to see their buddies in the room.

My advice, for $100+ I'm sure you can find much better accommodations
in and around Springfield. It seems housekeeping is the main issue with the hotel. What once was a nice hotel located very near shopping and attractions has gone straight downhill. My opinion...
Avoid at all costs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything except the location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mizzourah
Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2006

We've always stayed with friends when we come to Springfield, but with a growing family we are looking at other options. Arbor Suites seemed like a great choice due to their convenient location, cheap prices, full kitchen, and large rooms.

I found the best price on Expedia, then called the hotel directly to see if they could beat it. They wouldn't, so I booked through Expedia.

Check-in was quick and friendly. We were told about the continental breakfast and hot tub. The lady at check-in asked a few questions and gave us to a room that best fit our needs (first floor, outside, with extremely close parking, for easy loading and unloading of our stuff).

The room was spacious, but filthy. The floor needed vacuuming very badly, and there were several dead bugs. The room was very well maintained (looked like fresh paint and very little wear) but was poorly cleaned.

We got a studio rather than a penthouse, since we didn't want our 1-year old in a room with stairs. There was a couch (which folded out into an uncomfortable full bed), a king bed, a couch, a coffee table, a desk and chair, and two barstools. A table and chairs would have been nice, but we managed without it.

We were planning on having some family over for dinner, so we checked out the kitchen. There was a stove, fridge, and microwave. There were no pots, pans, bowls, cookie sheets, etc. There were three plates, four bowls, four saucers, and silverware for four (except no steak knives). Before I went to buy food, I checked the grill in the courtyard to make sure it worked and checked with the front counter to make sure I could get extra plates, bowls, silverware, and some steak knives. They said it would be no problem.

After I bought the food, I came back to pick up the stuff I would need. I experienced one of the most obnoxious, rude workers I've ever seen. He told me that they probably didn't have any of the things I needed. When I told him that I had asked just hours earlier, he said "That was then. This is now." and suggested that I go to Wal-Mart. He ended up scrounging up a plate, three steak knives, and a couple forks. We ended up having to feeds the kids on saucers, share knives, and wash dishes before we could eat dessert. Also, the oven stunk up the room. It needed cleaned as well.

Housekeeping never cleaned our room the three days we were there, despite several calls and visits to the front desk requesting it. We had our "Do Not Disturb" sign up for a couple hours each morning while our daughter napped. Apparently, if the sign was up at any time during the day, the housekeeper would never check back.

The continental breakfast was hit and miss as well. There were two bananas out the first morning, but we never saw any more after that. The oranges were rotten. Bagels, cereal, and french toast bread were all fine, just not what we wanted.

The "outdoor heated pool" was closed, and the hot tub was small and dirty. The courtyard area was covered in leaves.

Based on the poor service from one staff member, total lack of housekeeping for us, and poorly equiped kitchen, I would rate it 1* or 2*. But other staff members were very helpful, the rooms were huge, and the price was right, so that raises it to a 3* or 4* to me.

• Liked — Location, Price, Space
  • Disliked — Poor Service, Poorly Equiped Kitchen
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank MichaelTX
Kansas
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We have stayed at alot of hotels in many cities. I have a large family, and we need hotel rooms that are nice sized. It is very hard to find that. Most of the time we are tripping over each other. But not at this hotel. We stayed in a Penthouse, and part of my family stayed in a suite. The penthouse was two stories. The top floor had a king sized bed, television, and a bathroom. The bottom floor had a pull out sofa, an area that had two twin size beds, a table seats four, a full kitchen, and bathroom. We were very comfortable. The staff was nice and helped us with whatever we needed. It was a great stay.

• Liked — The rooms were the best.
  • Disliked — The stairs around the grounds needed to be updated.
  • Tips/Secrets — Relax, and have fun.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family