“Amazing Service Saved It”

Prima's Mexican Grill
Ranked #73 of 686 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Springfield, Missouri
“Amazing Service Saved It”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I always like the idea of Mexican food. When I crave it, I imagine it's going to be wonderful. But, when I get it, it's like...I could've made this at home! This place was no exception, really.

Talking about the food, it was a mass of lettuce and tomatoes and cheese (but who minds lots of cheese). I got a chimichanga, which I like, because it's super crispy, but this one was soggy and pretty small. Their chips are really good, but only once you've doctored them up by asking for some lime and putting in extra salt, because I'm sure these chips come from a bag. The salsa was thin and weak, you had to pay for the good stuff.

I put all my food together the next day in a bowl and it was delicous so maybe this would be a good take out place, though you would miss the excellent service. My server was so attentive, I was never low on water or tea. My companion dropped his water (okay, I dropped it and blamed him lol) and lots of other servers helped clean it up. Looking around, all the servers knew their menu, gave great suggestions, and were super attentive. I also liked the fact that you could see inside the kitchen......though when I looked there was a woman holding a baby. What was that baby doing there?

All in all, nothing to write home about.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jane M

Sarasota, Florida
“Simply fantastic! What a great experience!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went in around 5:30 on a Saturday night and were seated immediately. Our server, Brittany, was fantastic. No kidding, we had her running and she was efficient and ever-pleasant and attentive. Could not have asked for a better server.

We like dips and sauces and found ourselves in paradise. Their regular salsa is a mild tomato sauce-type that I liked very much. They will also bring you pico & verde in bowls that you can add to the sauce to make it as hot or mild/chunky or smooth as you wish. What a great thing! We had guacomole (good), Queso cheese dip (think and wonderful) and spinach/cheese dip (thinner and great). Must have had 6 baskets of chips over the course of our meal!

The black bean tacos were great for our vegetarians - loved them. They should add a vegetarian section to their menu in the future (lots of them out there, folks!)

I had a tropical salad and it was quite tasty. Tacos, burritos, all looked and tasted great. Lots of food! $15 pitchers of margaritas was a big plus, too.

I can not imagine anyone not enjoying Prima's. It is our new favorite in the area (my daughter lives here and we visit).

***Don't miss the giant fork in the ground at the building next door. Have no idea what it is, but it is cool***

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank J P
Grand Island, Nebraska
“Great meal!!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We were traveling with friends and it is always hard to decide where to eat. We had seen Prima's coming back from eating somewhere else so decided to try it. My enchilada was the best one I have ever had. The margaritas were very good also. Our server went out of his way to make our evening enjoyable.

Visited May 2013
Rolla, Missouri
“Great lunch”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Being in the area for a class I walked to Prima's during my lunch break. This is not my first visit here and will not be my last. "Real" Mexican food is such an over used term. Growing up in San Diego; being married to a Texan and having traveled extensively through Mexico I will say that no two regions are alike and like ability comes down to personal taste and preference. Prima's has a very nice meal. The option of black beans is wonderful. The choice of ground or shredded beef and shredded chicken for items is appreciated. The food is seasoned nicely and the portions are perfect. The chips are thin and crunchy and the options of peco and salsa verde along with the standard red sauce are very nice. The added touch of an extra well to mix salsas in is great. The service is prompt and friendly. This is a wonderful restaurant

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's good not great”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We visit this place. Is very descent had the carnita tacos which I think it needed more flavor. Rice and black beans are good.