“Nicely updated but had lady bugs flying in room”

DoubleTree by Hilton Springfield
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nicely updated but had lady bugs flying in room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

I like the design and decorations of the Double Tree. I stayed here several times when it was a Four Points Sheraton. The rooms were nice and comfortable with some cool decor. It was nice having Houlihans connected to the hotel for some good food and drink. The food at breakfast was fair but it wasn't bad.

The only issue was the flying lady bugs in the room. There were only a few but still not something I want in my room when in a hotel. I killed them so the problem was solved. The same thing happened once when i stayed here when it was the Four Points. Not sure if they have some window leaks or where the bugs are coming from. I told the front desk girl about the situation but she did not seemed to concerned and said the she had not heard of that before. I thought she might offer some extra points or something but said sorry to hear that and we will look into. I know they were only lady bugs but just knowing there are a couple means there are more and I just don't like sleeping with bugs potenially in my room.

The Hampton Suites across the street seemed to be a little nicer and might have to start staying there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Very spacious and clean hotel. We stayed 2 nights and found nothing to complain about. Restaurant on site with great "happy hour" drink/food specials. Can walk to many other restaurants. Close to Wal-Mart for personal needs.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

We booked this stay with a complimentary breakfast for two adults and two children. We only had 1 "child" with us and this particular booking saved us probably $35-40 total. It was SUCH a nice hotel and we were treated well from the moment we walked in and the "bellman" welcomed us. Of course, we received the complimentary warm chocolate chip cookies upon checking in. At first they didn't recognize that we had booked at the special rate, but once we brought it to their attention they quickly made out our passes and we were on the way to our room.

The rooms weren't hard to find at all. Just hit the elevator and follow the signs--easy! Our room was IMMACULATE...everything was clean and tidy in our room. The beds were of Hilton quality--simply heavenly. In fact, we laid there a little longer in the morning just to enjoy those wonderful, comfy (running out of adjectives) beds. We left wanting to take them home with us. They had large flat screen TVs and a cool alarm clock/radio that I may buy for my daughter (for Christmas) at the hotel website where you can purchase their room products. http://www.doubletreeathome.com/index.aspx Man, if I could afford that bed, I'd buy one!

The breakfast down at Gracie's just off the lobby the next morning was awesome. There was every breakfast food imaginable there, along with a gentleman that would make pancakes, omelets and eggs to order.

Everyone working there was gracious and made our stay SO enjoyable. If we weren't going to leave for home that day, we would've stayed another night. You can't go wrong at ALL if you stay here!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Springfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

My wife and I booked a room at the Doubletree over the weekend to celebrate our anniversary. This hotel is a classy place with very nice accommodations. Everything was comfortable, clean, and decorated very nicely.

When we checked in, the staff gave us free cookies and was very friendly, wishing us a happy anniversary and ensuring that all our needs were met.

The restaurant Houlihan's was very nice and had quality food at great prices.

Definitely would recommend to anyone, either business or pleasure.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Doubletree in Springfield during a trip with his family. We booked the hotel on Hotwire, not sure what hotel we were getting, and we were very pleased with the result. And we got a good deal on the rooms! The hotel is very impressive. The lobby is large and very nice. Upon arrival, we were given some famous Doubletree cookies - make sure you get some of these, they were good! The rooms are quite spacious - both the bedroom and the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable - easy to get a good night's sleep! Everything was very clean and well-maintained. Free wireless Internet in the rooms was also a plus.

There's a restaurant at the hotel, which seemed to be pretty popular, though we didn't eat there. There are also a number of restaurants located very close to the hotel, including Applebees, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, McDonalds, etc. There's a Walmart just across the street too. Just about anything you'd want is available within a couple of miles. Conveniently located in Springfield!

We had a very nice stay at the Doubletree, and we would definitely stay here again on another trip to Springfield. The hotel met or exceeded all our expectations!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank tarebearky
St. Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

If it weren't for the perpetual mismanagement of the Doubletree, it would be a fine value. The rooms are nice and updated, the beds comfortable, good food, etc. HOWEVER....

My colleagues and have stayed at the Doubletree many times (our client gets a corporate discount there), ALWAYS reserving our rooms in advance; however, upon arriving, we have found our rooms occupied on more than one occasion. A couple of my coworkers had to share a bed once. On other occasions, we had to find another hotel altogether. I'd estimate we've received our reserved rooms about 50% of the time.

Corporate rate or not, we no longer patronize the Doubletree.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Rodick
DTSpringfield, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Rodick-
I would like to apologize for your not being able to check in when you had your confirmed reservations. We sincerely try our best to keep this from happening at all times and we were not able to keep this from happening to you. I know how frustrating that can be after a long day to find out that your room is not available. We as a staff have discussed this and put new procedures in place to ensure that we avoid this situation in the future. I am glad that you like the property and if you would give us another chance I will personally see to it that you are taken care of from the time you arrive until you check out. Again, I apologize for these situations and I hope we can see you here at the Doubletree again real soon.
Here
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

I will undoubtedly never stay at the Doubletree again. We were in town from Thursday June 3rd until Sunday June 6th. Let me say that I understand the policy that check in is at 3pm. That being said, I don't appreciate being treated like scum when I ask for an early check in at 2pm. We were in town from St. Louis and we had to meet with our realtor, I called the day before and was told it was possible to get an early check in. Thinking this issue was taken care of, I get to the hotel and was told that I couldn't check in, they didn't even offer to watch our luggage while we were out!
My next issue was on Sunday morning at about 8 am there is a pounding on my door and the maid is wondering why were are still in the room. Does no one come to the hotel to relax?
When I went to voice my complaint at the front desk I was told by a gentleman, who claimed he was a manager, that there wasn't anything he could do and didn't even try to make things right with us.
If the doubletree in Springfield has hopes of being the premium hotel in the area it had better learn that an empty building only exists as a hotel when PEOPLE COME TO IT.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank GM1865
DTSpringfield, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Thank you for your comments. We are always trying to improve our service and it sure sounds like you were not satisfied with your stay. I would like to point out that while we try to honor all early check ins, that is not always possible based on room type and the business from the previous day. Also, I am not sure who would have been knocking on your door on Sunday morning at 8 am as we do not schedule anyone from our housekeeping department until 9:30 am. We also encourage our guests to use the do not disturb signs we have in every room if they do not want to be disturbed prior to their checking out. Thank you again for your comments and like I stated we are always looking to improve. I do hope you will give us another try when you are in Springfield.