“Loved the Doubletree!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Loved the Doubletree!”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Doubletree in Springfield during a trip with his family. We booked the hotel on Hotwire, not sure what hotel we were getting, and we were very pleased with the result. And we got a good deal on the rooms! The hotel is very impressive. The lobby is large and very nice. Upon arrival, we were given some famous Doubletree cookies - make sure you get some of these, they were good! The rooms are quite spacious - both the bedroom and the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable - easy to get a good night's sleep! Everything was very clean and well-maintained. Free wireless Internet in the rooms was also a plus.

There's a restaurant at the hotel, which seemed to be pretty popular, though we didn't eat there. There are also a number of restaurants located very close to the hotel, including Applebees, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, McDonalds, etc. There's a Walmart just across the street too. Just about anything you'd want is available within a couple of miles. Conveniently located in Springfield!

We had a very nice stay at the Doubletree, and we would definitely stay here again on another trip to Springfield. The hotel met or exceeded all our expectations!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank tarebearky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
St. Louis
Reviewed July 8, 2010

If it weren't for the perpetual mismanagement of the Doubletree, it would be a fine value. The rooms are nice and updated, the beds comfortable, good food, etc. HOWEVER....

My colleagues and have stayed at the Doubletree many times (our client gets a corporate discount there), ALWAYS reserving our rooms in advance; however, upon arriving, we have found our rooms occupied on more than one occasion. A couple of my coworkers had to share a bed once. On other occasions, we had to find another hotel altogether. I'd estimate we've received our reserved rooms about 50% of the time.

Corporate rate or not, we no longer patronize the Doubletree.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Rodick
DTSpringfield, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Rodick-
I would like to apologize for your not being able to check in when you had your confirmed reservations. We sincerely try our best to keep this from happening at all times and we were not able to keep this from happening to you. I know how frustrating that can be after a long day to find out that your room is not available. We as a staff have discussed this and put new procedures in place to ensure that we avoid this situation in the future. I am glad that you like the property and if you would give us another chance I will personally see to it that you are taken care of from the time you arrive until you check out. Again, I apologize for these situations and I hope we can see you here at the Doubletree again real soon.
Here
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I will undoubtedly never stay at the Doubletree again. We were in town from Thursday June 3rd until Sunday June 6th. Let me say that I understand the policy that check in is at 3pm. That being said, I don't appreciate being treated like scum when I ask for an early check in at 2pm. We were in town from St. Louis and we had to meet with our realtor, I called the day before and was told it was possible to get an early check in. Thinking this issue was taken care of, I get to the hotel and was told that I couldn't check in, they didn't even offer to watch our luggage while we were out!
My next issue was on Sunday morning at about 8 am there is a pounding on my door and the maid is wondering why were are still in the room. Does no one come to the hotel to relax?
When I went to voice my complaint at the front desk I was told by a gentleman, who claimed he was a manager, that there wasn't anything he could do and didn't even try to make things right with us.
If the doubletree in Springfield has hopes of being the premium hotel in the area it had better learn that an empty building only exists as a hotel when PEOPLE COME TO IT.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank GM1865
DTSpringfield, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Thank you for your comments. We are always trying to improve our service and it sure sounds like you were not satisfied with your stay. I would like to point out that while we try to honor all early check ins, that is not always possible based on room type and the business from the previous day. Also, I am not sure who would have been knocking on your door on Sunday morning at 8 am as we do not schedule anyone from our housekeeping department until 9:30 am. We also encourage our guests to use the do not disturb signs we have in every room if they do not want to be disturbed prior to their checking out. Thank you again for your comments and like I stated we are always looking to improve. I do hope you will give us another try when you are in Springfield.
India
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The rooms are amazing and the bed makes you want to sleep forever. I was pleasantly surprised , when I saw the hot breakfasts. In a land where everything is instant and do it yourself , weary travellers will find this a welcome service. It has a a nice Gym and indoor heated swimming pool. The staff are fantastic and helpful and the service is impeccable. Houlihan's restaurant is in the premises and has room service too ( another rare commodity). About 1/2 a mile away is Andy's frozen custard. Everyone knows Andy's and is something no visitor to springfield should miss.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Brat0
Missouri
Reviewed March 21, 2010

The hotel was very nice in appearance. However, there were a few downfalls. First off the no continental breakfast was disappointing. Also I did visit the front desk one evening to ask for more coffee supplies, and they said they had no cups that they would send to my room......no cups ever arrived. We stayed two nights, the second night our family activities kept us out passed the pool/hot tub hours, so we choose to wait until the next morning, well around 845am we went with our family to get in the pool/ hot tub and apparently the hot tub had been drained and filled with new water (which was ice cold). The maintenance man said that it would be about 20mins and the water would be hot again.....Wrong.... by this time it is 950am and we are sitting in a pool/ hot tub area with approx 15 other people wanting in the pool/ hot tub and still no warm water. Keep in mind these two days in March we were staying happened to be 17degrees at 9am and snow on the ground. So by 1015am we had to go to the room to gather up our belongings because checkout was at 12noon and we couldnt no longer wait. I understand that the property has cleanliness to deal with, however cleaning the pool and hot tub during operating hours is just ridiculous. The front desk staff was somewhat nice, they however gave me no information on the hotel at check in time, and never actually directed me to my room, just pointed at the elevator. The fact that the rooms that we had rented didnt have a small refrige nor a microwave was a thumbs down as well. I have stayed at lower end hotels and had better experience than on this trip. I mostly likely wont ever stay there again, or recommend to a friend or family member.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hondamama88
DTSpringfield, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the issues you had with your stay. I apologize for the front desk not being clear enough or giving adequate information to you and your requests. I have followed up with the Front Ofiice Manager and we have put procedures in place to ensure that this does not happen again. I have also done the same with our Engineering department. The attitude that was displayed is certainly not indicative of the great service we provide here at the Doubletree. As for the pool sometimes circumstances beyond our control force us to take action to ensure the safety and well being of all of our guests. This should have been explained and I apologize that it was not. I do hope that you will give us another chance to earn your business and I know you will not be disappointed.
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
Reviewed January 6, 2010

nice view, accomadations, room service, downstairs restaurants and great location near everything

Stayed August 2009
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 9, 2009

The Doubletree is located on N. Glenstone or should I say Hotel Row. There are so many hotels all clustered off I-44 and Glenstone, probably because it's only a few miles from the airport. But by far, Doubletree is the most impressive. First of all, it's huge, towering over everything that we actually passed it the first time because we thought it was a high-rise office building. You really have to look because for some reason the name of the hotel is in red on a black building and it's not lighted so unless you happen to be close, it's very hard to read the name of the hotel. But the lobby and rooms are very luxurious, and the personnel were efficient and very friendly. Except I have to also comment on the maintenance guy that another reviewer mentioned. If it's the same guy, he's pretty gruff. I was returning to the hotel at 11:30 pm. The first set of automatic doors opened but the second set didn't. I tried walking back and forth a couple times trying to trigger it. I didn't see a place to swipe a room key so started trying to pry the door open with my fingers when the maintenance man spotted me. He raised his voice at me to stop doing that and opened the door for me. I was a bit surprised that he would be mad at me for trying to get into the hotel.

But even with that minor thing, I rated this hotel 5 stars because of all the little room extras. They give you Wolfgang Puck coffee for your coffeemaker, they give you Neutrogena facial products, they give you plush towels...and on and on. Upon checking in they gave you hot homemade delicious cookies. It is just a beautiful, comfortable hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple