“Excellent experience”

University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was here on business for 10 days and I must say that my stay was excellent. The Hotel was beautiful and staff was great. Gitano was so very helpful and pleasant. He was very friendly, always suggesting things to do and see around the city. He made my stay away from home seamless. Also the two ladies who were taking care of my room during my stay were fantastic. Gail and Amber made sure I had what I needed, they were pleasant and went above and beyond the call of duty. The experience here exceeded my expectations.
BW

1  Thank Heather S
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center while you were in Springfield. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I would definitely stay at this hotel again the next time I am in Springfield. The room was clean, beautiful and spacious. The hotel and surrounding area were clean and very well maintained. The staff were all very friendly and willing to answer any questions I had, always with a smile. I'd like to recognize Kevin, the hotel bartender. I originally was only going to have one drink before checking out the nightlife, but instead I stayed for about 2 hours just chatting and having a good time. After finishing up at the bar, Kevin arranged for Vitano, the concierge to drive me to a local bar. Vitano was great too. Friendly, talkative and polite. Talking with these guys felt like talking with old friends. They definitely are an asset to this hotel. Thanks for everything guys! Happy Holidays.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael J

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the University Plaza Hotel Springfield. All of our team members work hard every day to make each guest feels special and by the sounds of your review, we accomplished our goal.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other fellow travelers and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I am an event coordinator and work very closely with Sales Managers, Conventions Managers and the lead banquets folks that make our events truly the greatest. Heather McGuigan did a wonderful job working with us to get the right set we needed and working around last minute adjustments. Coordinating with superiors is a big step in making it all possible, but it's the folks that truly execute our sets and provide support through out the event that really make the event what it is. I have worked with Paul Barnhart on multiple occasions at this location and every time he exceeds our standards. He is extremely pleasant to work with, makes it his top priority to ensure accuracy and our needs are met through out our entire events. I never have to go looking for him, I never have any set up issues that are a result to his lack of professionalism and thoroughness and he is always willing to do whatever it takes to make it all work. Even if it means assisting with last minute changes. He is an excellent asset, great to work with and one of the few that provide such wonderful service. I wish there was a "Paul" at every venue we use!

1  Thank S D

We are so delighted that you had a wonderful experience with us during your convention at University Plaza Hotel. Your comments reflect the kind of service we strive to give each of our guest’s everyday, from the moment you pull up to the hotel to the time of check out and driving away, we give 110% luxury service.

Thank you again for your stay and your kind words which I will pass onto our staff, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Overall, I'd rate 3.5 vs 4. My review is meant to be honest, and constructive, not critical. I spent a few nights, while in town on business, and it was my first experience with University Plaza.

First impressions (Pros): Large atrium, Open lobby, Moderately Upscale in décor and appointments. Free parking, indoor/outdoor pool, hot tub, fitness center, complimentary breakfast, spa, and complimentary access to the "Tower Club" during your stay (a member's only, upscale restaurant, atop the skyscraper, next door.) All amenities appear to be nice, though I didn't utilize, so I can't verify. The staff was all very courteous, and helpful. The TVs are nice and big, the beds are comfortable, adequate drawer space, and full vanity counter inside the bathroom-separate from the vanity/sink outside of the bathroom...which I found very helpful, for toiletry storage.

The downfalls: First disappointment, there was no refrigerator in my room. Now, this was my fault for assuming...I should've checked the amenities, however, since I was staying for a few nights, I purchased a few perishable items (ie milk, natural peanut butter, etc) that I wound up throwing away, without even opening, as the store was closed after I checked into my room, and the milk would be spoiled by morning, anyway. Again, my fault for not verifying, however, I stay in many hotels, and a small in-room refrigerator has kind of become commonplace, these days.

Second, BIG disappointment, the heating/cooling system is the central type (no individual in-room unit) and the one in my room did not work; that is, the system was stuck on HEAT. Upon check-in, the unit was off, and my room was stuffy, so I turned it on COOL and left for a few hours, when I came back, the room was super hot...realized the unit was blowing heat, though the temp was set on 68 degrees (I like a cold room) Called the front desk, the associate said a few rooms were having the same issue, but maintenance was aware, and would stop by. The man did stop by, in a few minutes, and was very friendly. Unfortunately, there was no way to "fix" the problem, so we had to open the window (keep in mind, it's winter-snow on the ground) and let the cold air, sounds, smells, of the city fill my room, and keep the heat on, to regulate the temp...this remained every night of my stay. Another downfall of this, the only way for the cold air, from outside, to flow into the room...I had to leave my blinds open, the entire time. I like my privacy, especially at night, and I didn't enjoy the fact that people on the street and in other buildings, could look right into my room.

Secondly, I have to agree with the reviews about noise. Luckily, the hotel wasn't too busy, during my stay, however, there were nights where a football game was being shown in the lobby, and the atrium certainly lends itself to noise being carried up through the levels of the hotel...I was on the 4th floor, and had no trouble hearing the cheers and whistles. :(

My room appeared clean, however there was dried urine around the base of the toilet and the floor beneath the tank. My floor had only one ice machine, which isn't unacceptable, but I had to go down to another floor, if I needed ice, as the one on my floor wasn't efficient (about a cup of ice every 60 seconds) The door in my bathroom was super old, and splintered/peeling all across the bottom.

Lastly, I must admit, I see areas that they've updated the hotel; however, I can walk around and see traces of 1970 (circa) all over. Not so obvious that I feel the whole hotel is dated, to the contrary, most of it is updated and tasteful, but you will find many areas that are not.

So, again, there where many aspects of the hotel that are quite nice; I just feel that for the price point and "star rating" implied with this hotel, improvements should be made.

1  Thank sacredhoax
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and the service that our staff provided. Your comments will be expressed to them. I have also looked into the concerns in regards to the heat in your room and it has been resolved. We have also started a multi million dollar renovation which started with the exterior and will move into the interior in the spring.

I am fully aware that you have many choices in hotels and are happy that you continue to allow us to the opportunity of serving you!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Beautiful atrium, tasteful decor, and a welcoming atmosphere make University Plaza a go-to place to stay. Complimentary breakfast was above the norm, with several hot and cold choices. Rooms were well-appointed, clean, and comfortable. Service staff from check-in, to housekeeping, to Terrace Grille friendly and accommodating. Food in the Terrace Grille was very good. My husband and I had the shrimp risotto and a well-stacked hamburger, both nicely done. Swimming pool was relaxing. The hot tub looked great, but a little small for more than just a very few people at one time. We had to wait quite a bit for it to clear out on a Sunday evening. When you check in, ask for a room with a good view. Our first room was on the 2nd floor, and had a skunky view of the heating system, right outside the window. The hotel has nine floors, so I immediately went back to the desk and asked for a better view. They put us up on the 6th floor, with a great view, no questions asked, and all with a smile. Very large windows made this even better. We enjoyed sitting in the lounge area of the atrium. There is a waterfall and comfortable chairs/tables. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floors afford the best view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanD99
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

We are so delighted that you had a wonderful experience with us at the University Plaza Hotel. Your comments reflect the kind of service we strive to give each of our guest’s everyday, from the moment you pull up to the hotel to the time of check out and driving away, we give 110% luxury service.

Thank you again for your stay and your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

My hotel stay was not planned; being stranded at the airport due to a winter ice storm, my only thought was to find a hotel that could get a shuttle to/from the airport so I wouldn't be sleeping there for the next few nights. My first impression of the hotel was favorable: beautiful decor, friendly staff, spacious and clean room. Five days later, when the weather finally allowed hubby to come get me, my impressions had only improved. Have you ever noticed that many of the high end hotels are visually gorgeous but seem "cold"? Somehow, the Plaza has managed to weave a warmth into the elegant surroundings that is hard to explain but easily felt. Every staff member was gracious, friendly and helpful. Every amenity imaginable was first class, from the free breakfast to the gym to the business center. Most importantly, the room was quiet. Being able to use the hotel shuttle for a quick trip downtown was an added plus. As a senior traveler, this hotel definitely exceeded expectations.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BJW164

Hi there! Thanks for the kind review of the hotel and staff. We like to think of the University Plaza as your home-away-from-home, and it sounds like we may indeed be just that. Whether you are traveling for business or leisure, we wanted to make sure we had everything today’s traveler needs and wants.

I am thrilled to hear you had great stay.

Safe travels!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have a gluten allergy and the staff was extremely accommodating. Especially Kathy & Heidi at breakfast. They went above and beyond to provide a great customer experience. I will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Lmmeister
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback with other guests and for pointing out the quality of our hotel offers as compared to all others in the area. We definitely do our best to show guests high quality and we are thrilled that you experienced this during your visit to University Plaza Hotel. We appreciate that you have stayed with us and we thank you!