University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Mold in the shower, remote doesn't work, smells - reminds me of my grandmas house.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank irunalot1
rhenley9, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

We appreciate your post regarding your experience with us on Trip Advisor and I apologize for the issues you encountered. We will work to get these corrected immediately, I am new to this property and appreciate your feedback.

I thank you for choosing University Plaza and if you return to the Springfield area I would love to have the opportunity to thank you in person.

Robert Henley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for three nights for an event at the JQH Arena. The staff at check in was very pleasant and I looked forward to our room. We walked in and a musty smell greeted us. It was almost midnight at this point and we were too tired to deal with calling down to the desk to complain. We changed and climbed into bed. WOW!!! It was like sleeping on a board. We had two double beds and I tried both of them. They were both hard as bricks. I decided it would not do any good to complain as this must be the type mattress they prefer. We went down to the free breakfast the next morning, and I will leave it at I am glad it was free... The last night of our stay we were greeted to a horrible musty smell when we walked in the room, but, luckily we had noticed that we could open the window so we were able to air out the room.

The other main prolem we had was NOISE. We were on the fifth floor, but the hotel is modeled around an atrium. I would highly suggest to the management that they put sound proof doors on the rooms as it sounded like we had front row bar stools at the bar at night and were sleeping in the restaurant in the morning. I am not kidding. If you are a night owl (and remember we checked in around midnight) and like to get up before they start serving breakfast, you will be fine. Needless to say, I was very disappointed and we will choose another hotel if we come back next year.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Disfan1966

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just here one night for a wedding but it was very comfortable and the fact that they accept small pets was very accommodating. Nice pool area and full complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: They accept pets!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank SuttonFamKc
rhenley9, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

What a pleasure it was having you stay with us at the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center. Located in the heart of downtown Springfield, we are just steps from popular destinations including MSU and Hammons Field. We look forward to welcoming your return the next time you are visiting Springfield.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Billed as a luxury hotel featuring excellent customer service, amenities, and comfort, the University Plaza Hotel was a shocking disappointment. I stayed in the hotel's recently opened Chairman's Suite (once the personal chambers of hotel magnate John Q. Hammons himself) with my family for two nights this July. The hotel's premier room was spacious, with a sitting area/dining room, two bedrooms, and two bathrooms. That is about the only positive feature. Room service hours very limited (11am -10pm) so don't expect breakfast in bed! Not even coffee, unless you count the nasty brew-it-yourself stuff they provide along with a teeny coffemaker. There was a long black hair on the king bed when I pulled back the sheet, and if you have any digital devices to plug in (who doesn't these days) good luck finding an outlet. There is one behind the sofa and one under the king bed and a couple of GFCIs in the huge bathroom. None in the so-called "kitchen" which was equipped with one small sink, my older brothers college dorm-room mini fridge and ten feet of marble countertop! NO utensils, no microwave, nothing stocked in the fridge and no cups, plates, or glasses of any kind. What a joke. The customer service definately didn't live up to what I have come to expect from a high-end hotel over the years. I could go on and on, believe me there are many more complaints, not the least of which is the automatic revolving door that would not stop when my two year old boy got caught in it! (He is okay!) But the staff at the front desk showed little concern beyond a bored curiousity as his high-pitched screams filled the lobby. Save yourself a bad time and waste of money and book your room at the Doubletree Hilton or the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank PWS78

Reviewed July 22, 2011

Great location right downtown. They have free parking and my family of four walked to Hammons Field. They have an indoor and outdoor pool. Both were very nice. Breakfast was just ok but free. Got a great rate via Priceline. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Korn74

Reviewed July 6, 2011

I have been there every July the last several years for a business convention. Every time there is something wrong. Most of the time it is the air conditioning. You have to turn it all the way down and at best it is 80ish in the room. Last year it didn't even work. Besides the air this time the hot water didn't work. I called the desk and all I got was that they will check into it.. My company will not schedule another convention there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank dreamsofthebeach_11
BobPottberg, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

We are very sorry to hear of your troubles with both the air conditioning and hot water during your stay. Please accept our apology as we look into the cause and address the shortcoming. If you would be so kind to contact the hotel so we can get more detailed information on room location it would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Pottberg

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Great atrium, rooms were nice, good facilities, conference center was great! Outdoor pool wasn't open yet but looks like a nice set up. Great breakfast!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank wtresq

Your kind words about our hotel are more than appreciated! Taking care of our guests is always at the top of our priority!. I will pass your comments along to the TEAM and I am sure many will be so happy to see that you recognized them. That will make their week! Until we see you again, best wishes & safe travels, Robert