“Foodie from springfield, this is in my top 5”
Review of The Grotto

The Grotto
Ranked #190 of 696 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I love food and i have visited most restaurants in town. I especially love trying new places. The grotto isn't new, but it is in a new location, and certainly one of the highest quality places you can go, for not a lot of money. Everyone who says the food here is "blah" don't know anything about real food. The dishes here are unique, flavorful, fresh, and dynamic. this is not lamberts cafe, or golden corral. This is quality food, not disguised behind salt and gravy (which negative reviewers must love). You can look at their menu to see the great food they offer, but this place delivers quality equitable to flame, nonnas, or houlihans, but at a chedders price. try this place!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have tried several dishes here and nothing has very much taste or flavor. The pizza is just okay. The sandwiches are just okay too. The best thing here is that you can get a side of broccoli that is perfectly steamed or sweet potatoe fries that are really yummy. It is a work-a-raunt (you have to order at a counter and pick up your food at a counter) and over-priced.

1  Thank marymissouri
Reviewed February 15, 2014

In town for quick visit and son picked this place out to give a try. I was wanting a good burger and he pizza. I had bacon cheddar burger with regular fries and hit the spot and son had a Greek pizza which I tried and was excellent. Not a lot of atmosphere but good price for a good meal. We would both go back.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I've eaten here a few times. Our meal this evening was not particularly good. We had the Blue Cheese Chips, the tomato soup and a sandwich. The chips and the soup were aggressively salty, almost to the point of being inedible and the soup had an overwhelming flavor of herbs, which I didn't remember from my last visit. The chicken sandwich, while not bad, was very bland. Personal food taste aside, I was very unimpressed by the cleanliness of the place. Tables were poorly cleared and the ladies bathroom obviously hadn't had a good wipe-down in a long time. The person I was with had never been there before and obviously wasn't impressed. I asked if they liked their meal and their opinion was that while it wasn't terrible, they wouldn't make an effort to return. I tend to agree.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

The Grotto has been one of our go to restaurants in Springfield for years. Over the past year, however , the quality has declined considerably. It's just not what it used to be. We've been disappointed the last two times we have been. Not sure we will try again.

1  Thank legallyred
Mark C, Owner at The Grotto, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

I apologize for the experiences you have had with us recently. Forgive my directness, but could you be more specific about what deficiencies you are referring to? We haven't changed recipes, purveyors or the specific food we use. We do our best to be consistent and at least meet expectations and it can be a challenge with a high turnover business such as ours. Not that that is an excuse but it is the reality and sometimes we fall short as it seems we did with you.
Thank you for your patronage and again I apologize for any negative experiences and hope you will give us another try and see if we can remedy any of your concerns. Please feel free to contact me at mark@gogrotto. Have a wonderful week!