“Charming inn is a delightful stay in Springfield”
Review of Walnut Street Inn

Walnut Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Springfield B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Charming inn is a delightful stay in Springfield”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We stayed at the Walnut Street Inn in July, and I can’t rave enough about the experience. We were greeted by Gary, the innkeeper, who was both friendly and knowledgeable. We were in the Carver Room, the former library in the main house, which was immaculately clean and lovingly maintained. The furnishings and décor were mostly what you would expect in a B&B, but everything was even more meticulous than I anticipated. The room had a small refrigerator with complimentary sodas and water, and freshly baked cookies awaited us by the side of the bed each afternoon. We were allowed to select our breakfast time, and the chef happily made vegetarian meals both mornings for us. The food was excellent and varied each day. The location of the inn is perfect, just a short walk from the downtown and on a beautiful, historical street. The staff were also highly present and happy to make dining suggestions. My only complaints about the stay were the shower – the water temperature was too variable, and the pressure was too low – and the pillow – which was a little hard. Neither would preclude me from staying at the Walnut Street Inn again. It was the perfect way to spend a weekend in Springfield, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you’re headed to Springfield, skip a corporate hotel for a stay at the Walnut Street Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kansas
Reviewed July 15, 2010

This B&B is just wonderful. It's clean, has a great location, owner and employees are very friendly, and it's a great value. You won't be disappointed! They even place freshly baked cookies in your room every day. We will definitely stay at this charming B&B again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed June 24, 2010

The room was wonderful. Even better than the pictures looked. I stayed in the Jordan Room. The steam shower and feather bed were the best. I was there for a conference at the big conference hotel across the street. Breakfast was great. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Hopefully someday I can make it back here with my wife.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank masterjohnson
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I stay at the Walnut Street Inn a few times each year. Gary is always warm and welcoming and I feel like I'm "coming home" every time I visit. The decor is classic B&B with antiques which normally doesn't appeal to me but they have made this place crisp, clean, and comfortable. I have stayed in most of the rooms and haven't found one that I do not like. The rooms are stocked with soda, water, and fresh baked cookies. The breakfasts are always delicious. The location is within walking distance of "downtown" Springfield and many restaurants.

My only criticism would be the pillows, not a fan of their pillows.
I tried to book a room for another trip and they were full! So book early if you can.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Kansas City
Reviewed June 3, 2010

When traveling please seek out locally owned establishments as I did with the Walnut Street Inn. This practice will make your travel much more rewarding. In regards to the Walnut Street Inn, right from the very first contact to checking out, the personal attention from Gary and his staff was just wonderful. The Inn had two very different clients within our party, my 70 year old mother and myself, her 43 year old daughter. We each had seperate agendas and needs during our stay at the Inn. Gary and staff tailored their service to meet our individual needs with above and beyond attention to detail. The Inn is beautuful and the breakfasts are delicious but there is much more if you take the time to appreciate your surroundings. There is the hsitory of the Inn and each of the rooms, there is a fantastic walking tour of Walnut Street, there is a wonderful Italian restaurant on the next block, and there is unique shopping in the downtown area. Here is the real treasure, when Gary recommends a local shop or restaurant and you just happen to mention the Inn and the owner replies "oh that is such a nice place, I have all of my family stay there when they are in town, and Gary is such a nice guy" . The reward is you have just met another very nice person and gain a sense of being welcomed into their community family. When you return you will be welcomed back in the same warm and caring way; this is the treasure you take with you. Oh did I mention the plate of yummy cookies they leave in your room...I highly recommend the Walnut Street Inn.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank MDGW
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2010

My wife and I spent our wedding night in the Danzero. It had a beautiful 4 poster bed and jacuzzi in the corner. The Danzero is in a separate building from the main guest house. Both are beautifully furbished.

The breakfast is superb. We were fed a ham pastry of some sort and it was delicious. Staff were polite and friendly.

All you could wish for in a B&B

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2010

If you are looking for a place to rest, relax and get away from the cares of the world, then you will find the Walnut Street Inn is the perfect getaway. Gary and Paula have a down-home charm that lets you know you are in the right place. The staff is personable, friendly and they care about making your stay comfortable. You can't go wrong with any room you choose as each one is meticulously appointed with period themes. And while they have most amenities such as telephone, internet and television, you're there to disconnect from the world.

Our last visit was the only time our children have been with us during our stay at Walnut Street. If it wasn't for my oldest daughter graduating from college, they would never know what the place looks like. I can't tell you of how the stress melts off as we check in and get to our room. Comfortable beds, fresh home-made cookies and vaulted ceilings greet you as you walk into your room. And as good as the photos of the rooms are, the pictures don't do it justice. And you must visit the local Italian Restaurant named Gilard's. You will love the food. Hurry up! What are you waiting for? Call Gary now!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family