Walnut Street Inn
$91
$167
Days Inn Battlefield Rd/Hwy 65(Springfield)(Great Value!)
$79
Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven(Springfield)(Great Value!)
$72
Best Western Plus Coach House(Springfield)(Great Value!)
$96
  • Breakfast included
$96
Hotwire.com
$115
Greenstay Hotel & Suites(Springfield)(Great Value!)
Priceline
TripAdvisor
All reviewscarriage housebed and breakfastthe main housebreakfast was delicioussteam showernice gas fireplaceprivate porchlovely homevictorian charmebbets fieldeach room has its owncookiesother guestsmy favorite thingwithin walking distanceevery eveninglittle touches
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our first time staying at a bed and breakfast. We only stayed one night as we were heading south for the rest of our trip. We stayed in the Wilder room, the least expensive but very adequate. Our breakfast was also excellent.

The house needs some upkeep and such (peeling paint, corroded bath fixtures, etc), but they seem to be working on it. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I went to college in Springfield, so returning is always a game of "which hotel is the cheapest?" Perhaps it's middle age settling in, but last weekend, my wife and I chose the Walnut Street Inn for our overnight stay. We found Gary, the Innkeeper, very hospitable and accommodating. As a celiac patient, I carry great concern into every travel experience that my dietary needs can be met. Not only were those needs met, but Gary contacted me a week before our arrival to ask if I required anything special from the grocery store.

Our room was perfect for our needs - decorated as one would expect in an historic house, and appointed nicely with iron, toiletries and a comfortable bed. The room was clean, private and (I believe) all rooms have a private bath. The weather did not allow us to enjoy the outdoor spaces, but there are a number of places to enjoy coffee/tea, a snack or a book in the backyard.

Charming and comfortable, this will be our new new go-to when visiting Springfield. Take note: while Springfield is not a huge town, the inn is in an urban setting. Those having little or no experience with B&Bs should be prepared for the occasional loud car/truck or emergency vehicle to chance by (we only heard one ambulance during our stay). The bonus to the urban setting is that the inn is literally in the center of town - close and convenient to everything. Thanks, Gary! We'll see you again soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Desert-Tripper
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is the first B&B that I have seen in which a garage-like structure (a separate building, maybe a former carriage house or servant quarters) claims to be part of the decor of the Victorian main house. The garage has several rooms, all equipped in the late 19th century style. Ours had a jacuzzi and a fireplace. We slept well and the breakfast was very good. The other guests can be extremely cold, rude and arrogant, as it is often the case in B&B's located next to university campuses, but the innkeepers are cheerful and welcoming. The only problem was that there was no soap and shampoo left for us for our second night and there was nobody to ask for help after 8PM. The glycerine soap that they have dissolves very quickly, it virtually disappears in minutes. I also have to say that it helped that someone else was paying our bill. The prices are rather steep for a Victorian garage stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The staff are professional yet warm and welcoming. I stayed in the lovely McCann Room with a large bathroom area and a clay foot bathtub, fireplace and very comfortable bed. In the morning, the freshly cooked breakfast was delicious and consisted of a frittata, hashbrown potatoes,fresh fruit, juice and tea. The chocolate chip cookie in the room was a welcome treat and amazingly good. I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast to friends

Room Tip: The McCann room was on the front and can be a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I am happy to forego Marriott and Hilton points to stay at a place like Walnut Street Inn. The Inn owners are so welcoming and attentive that it will feel like "home" each time you return. I have stayed there twice, but wish that my work brought me to Springfield more often.

They have good, strong Wi-Fi, which is imperative to business travelers. Couple that with a breakfast that is delicious and filling enough to keep you fueled for the entire day. That helps save a little money and is important...as it is 1/2 Bed and 1/2 Breakfast. Walnut Street Inn's breakfast is very nice, but it isn't overboard, which is just fine with me. When I stay at places that have 5 course breakfasts I am impressed and STUFFED, but much of that overeating is because I feel like I MUST eat what they worked so hard to make. That wasn't the case here. It was a perfect amount.

The only negative is that the main house is on a corner with a stop sign. The charming, Victorian construction is NOT very soundproof, and the residents of Springfield apparently like to show off their hot rod's engine power (any time of day or night.) Are these sounds any louder or more annoying than teenage sports teams or drunken conventioneers spilling out of hotel elevators?...absolutely not. I'll choose the street noise. The only other suggestion I have for the owners is to put 2 firm/overstuffed pillows and 2 down or loosely filled pillows in each room. This gives guests a choice and is a technique hotels are starting to employ. My room had 4 highly stuffed, firm pillows. I like a flat, soft and squishy pillow. I'm sure if I had asked they would have done everything in their power to get me a softer, squishier pillow. I just wish it had been there at the outset.

Lastly, I thank the owners for extending a favorable price to me and my colleague. Business travelers really need to keep their costs down and our bosses would not like to see typical B&B prices on their expense reports.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business