“Cool stroll down memory lane”

Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was in very good shape for its age. We enjoyed the separate bedroom for my daughter which had a bunk bed! It was really nice to back our car right up to our door. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we had a problem with our fridge; someone came to fix it within two minutes of my call. Cool Route 66 decor. Simple breakfast, but we enjoyed having bottled water to take with us. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2013
Nate K, Front Office Manager at Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Kay D:

Thank you so much for reviewing and rating your stay at the Best Western Rail Haven. Our family suites seem to be a big hit with parents and children alike. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for recommending us to the world.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hotel was clean and very interesting. Breakfast was good and the rooms were spacious and very clean. Billy at the front desk was very helpful and so kind. Thank you everyone at the hotel for the great service and awesome front desk

• Stayed: February 2013

Tomjenkin:

Thank you for the review and 5-star rating. I will be sure to thank Billy for a job well done. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I normally just stay in hotels so staying in a motel was new to me . Driving up to my room there was a few men hanging around outside so a bit unsure about the place already but they had a word with me while the others were unpacking and they were nice enough just like everywhere we travelled on this Route 66 trip . Room was a bit dated but clean enough and we were happy .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Calpsy:

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review your visit to the Best Western Rail Haven on Route 66. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I traveled to Springfield in March. I was one of the hundreds of vehicles stuck on 44 for 6+ hours so by the time I got to my hotel it was well after midnight and I had 2 small kids with me. We were exhausted! First of all, the man at the front desk was very rude. I got to my room and the door lock didn't work right. Then after I got my kids to sleep, the front desk calls telling me my credit card was declined. I gave him another one and he called again saying that declined. There was nothing wrong with either of my cards after calling both customer services at 1am making sure everything was fine! I had already paid for my room through priceline and after he tried my first card again, it was fine. I went on my way, then got home and checked my account only to find out that they had charged me for the room! I paid $65 on priceline (which did come out of my account) and they took out $73! After a big fuss trying to get them to refund it, they said they would....but they charged me $73 again!! Now I'm waiting for the manager to call me to hopefully get this worked out. I will never stay with Best Western again!

Room Tip: Just don't book with them!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Nate K, Front Office Manager at Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Ashley H:

I heard about the mess on I-44 a few weeks ago, and I completely understand how ready you must have been to get into a comfortable room and rest. I'm sorry that this is not the way things worked out.

When I was made aware of your situation with the charges to your card by Best Western International, I refunded your card immediately; but unfortunately, refunds usually take a few days to hit your account, and I understand how inconvenient this can be. I apologize that you had to endure this. If I had been in your place, I would not have been happy.

The reason your card was charged in the first place is because we were unable to obtain payment from the third-party through which you booked. When you book through some third-party websites, you (the customer) pay them and then they (the third-party) pay us (the hotel) before you arrive. In your case, the third-party did not even send us your reservation, so we had no record of your having paid them and no form of payment from them when you arrived. From our end, it looked as if your reservation must have been booked somewhere else by mistake.

We were the ones that charged your card, and perhaps this is not the way the matter should have been handled; but we needed a form of payment from someone, and the third-party through which you booked failed to provide this until almost a week after your departure date. I understand that this was an inconvenience for you and bad timing when you consider the other circumstances surrounding your trip to Springfield. I am genuinely sorry that you had to experience this because none of it was your fault.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I always get my rooms through Hotwire, and almost always choose a 3 start. I thought "how much different can a 2.5 star be?' The answer is A LOT! First of all the front dest person had the dirtiest shirt on. Stains all over it. Not a great first impression. Next the furniture in the room was acceptable and the linens but the fixtures in the room were terrible. the bathroom was gross, the room smelled like dog pee and the airconditioner barely worked. Then to top it off the bathroom handle to the shower actually came off in my sons hand, spraying scallding hot water on him and all over the bathroom. Of course front desk and maitenace came down and moved us to another room but it was just as bad. well, it had a tight handle on the shower so I suppose it was slightly better. The motel is on a very busy street and the road noise was aweful. It sounded like we had our window open the whole time!

Moral of the story I am heading back down to Springfield this weekend and I will pay the extra $18 to get a 3 star.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Paulmapeach:

I can't apologize enough for your experience. Your review was a shock to us all because none of this is typical of our hotel other than the part about our location on a busy street. I can assure you that our entire staff will be made aware of your review so that we can prevent this from happening again. I appreciate your taking the time to notify us about this. I hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations. Again, I am very sorry.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This motel was off the chart great... Very clean rooms and service. We stayed here for only 1 night but after being on the road for 9 days and 8 different hotels this was the best by far... Bed was just right, linens and towels were crisp as well as great water pressure. I would recommend this location and we will return on our next trip.

• Stayed: March 2013

Kygxp:

I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Rail Haven.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

For anyone seeking an old-style motel/motor court experience the Rail Haven is a great place to stay. The motel has undergone many changes and expansions over the years, and (happily) the rooms are up to date with excellent bathroom fixtures, wifi, and comfy beds. But the "feel" is still the 40's and 50's.

Well managed by an attentive staff from the top down, you will be pleased. However, be ready for rooms that may be smaller than what you expect....but that is the way it was...and isn't that what you are looking to experience? This is a great place. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms are small because of their vintage; ask to see your room first if you have any doubts. And if...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Nate K, Front Office Manager at Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Mayfaere:

Thank you for the words of praise. You're right about the room sizes. Some of them are a bit small, but that's how it was 75 years ago when our hotel was built; and we've done what we can to preserve the history of our location. We're looking forward to seeing you again soon.