“Walk 3 Blocks For Better Room”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Attending convention at University Plaza Hotel. Stayed at Holiday Inn Express 3 blocks away and got a much nicer room at better price. Cab ride to hotel was $4 plus tip and shuttle back was free. Junior suite was very nice and bed was great. Nice breakfast area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank GregStLouis_Missouri
DaleLogan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Thank you so much. We really do appreciate the kind words and they will be posted to encourage our staff to make this hotel an even better place to stay.

Front Office Manager

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown

Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed one night here. Room and bed were clean and comfortable. The only downside was being so close to med, facility as ambulances ran about 4 times that night. However, Courtney greeted us at the front desk and was so professional and pleasant. We got a first floor room as we asked for and were very happy with this accommodation. We had to catch an extremely early flight so we didn't get to partake of breakfast but it was a very nice place to stay.
We received a thank you note for our stay from this facility. I have never, ever gotten a thank you note from a hotel, motel, bed and breakfast or resort. It certainly was a welcome surprise.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank saguarol
DaleLogan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am glad you you were happy with your stay. I will pass on the compliment to Courtney as she is a fairly new employee she will be happy to hear this I am sure.

Please do come and see us again.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

If you travel within 500 miles of Springfield MO there is a good chance that you will stay in a John Q Hammonds Hotel. He builds hotels franchised with most of the major brands, but his hotels always end up near the top of the franchise that he is using. The HI Express in Springfield MO is no exception. Maybe it is more exceptional because it is next to the Hammonds business and philanthropic empire in Springfield. Just when you think that every HI Express is the same, this hotel is a surprise that goes above and beyond. Especially impressive are the design touches and the hallways wide enough for a Hummer to drive through, all brightly lit. The rooms were comfortable and large with good decorative touches as well, like the premium window treatments that are nicer than what I find at top hotels in New York, Chicago, or D.C.

There were a couple issues that kept me from rating this property with five points. The lobby had a vague unpleasent sewer smell, hopefully a one-time event. The business center had a single computer that was in constant use. There was room for more. And despite being on the fourth floor, I could hear an outside conversation at ground level as clear as if they were in my room, even though the windows were closed, almost like the whisper chamber at the science museums.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank nrstycz
DaleLogan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Thank you for your time to review our property. The sewer smell was certainly a one time thing and worse behind the front desk than in the lobby and hte lobby was bad enough. I could not pay people enough to work here if that smell was even occasional. It is gone now and we think it was caused by some work being done by the city.

As for the second computer we have a new General Manager starting soon and I will mention it to that person. I think it is a good idea to add another. We seldom have 3 people wanting to use it but occasionally have a couple.

The noise from outside I am not too sure about to be honest. If you ever have any noise issue we are staffed and trained to handle that now better than ever so give us a call and we will look into it.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have stayed at this HIE many times and have generally been very happy with it. My sons attend MSU and we have stayed here for all but one visit. The check in staff are always friendly and efficient. The lobby is always clean and smells fresh. Breakfast is pretty standard. They replenish the food quickly. The cinnamon rolls are yummy!

I stayed in a suite because that was the only non smoking room available. I didn't really need it but it was a nice big room with a couch, small fridge and microwave. Our biggest problem was there was a screaming baby in the room next to us our first night. The walls are paper thin so no way to sleep. We called in the am and they told us they were checking out in the am and only charged us for a standard room. The second night adults returned home to their room around 3:30 am and were up late talking. I think all the suites are grouped together so maybe noise is more of an issue in these bigger rooms.

We also found something yucky on the outside of our white cloth shower curtain. I should have called about it but I had already complained once.

This hotel is in a convenient location so I'll give it another chance.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank biffytreepod
DaleLogan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Thanks for the second chance on the noise issue. Also any time there is a complaint with the room we would love for you to let us know so that we can fix it and also be aware of it. I am glad that we are normally able to meet your expectations and in the future I am sure we will be able to do so again.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while visiting a college in the area. Arrived late at night after a long drive and the woman at the front desk was friendly and nice. She upgraded us to a larger suite from a standard room when I mentioned that we are members of their loyalty program (I've never done this before at check-in but I now see that you can possibly be upgraded). Common areas were spacious and clean (lobby, hallway). When we walked into our room, we were impressed by the size - it was quite large compared to most hotel rooms we've seen. Room had a microwave and a refrig. Once we settled in, we noticed that the room felt like it was slanting downward and also noticed the ceiling was peeling in large areas due to the sheetrock separating at the seams. Probably just cosmetic but the room should have been kept unoccupied until the problem was fixed. Finally got into bed at around 1:00 am but then abruptly awakened at 2:00 am by a group of drunk sounding young men checking into the room next door (why do nearly empty hotels put you right next to another occupied room?!?). The walls in this hotel are paper thin and the doors close loudly so we heard EVERYTHING. Called the front desk and could barely hear the desk clerk because more members of this group were in the lobby being incredibly loud. She came right up and tried to ask the group next door to be quieter but we still heard them for several more hours and basically had a sleepless night. The hotel has a complimentary breakfast buffet and it was okay - staff difficult to find and seemed put out by requests to refill items. Definitely was ready to check out of this hotel and won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far away from other occupied rooms as possible
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank phosid

I am glad we were able to start your stay out on the wrong note and it is a good reminder that the whole stay must be satisfactory or guest may choose to stay elsewhere. I have instructed that overnight employee that if she ever feels overwhelmed by a situation to call the police as her reinforcements. We hate to lose your business but I understand how frustrating a sleepless night can be.

We will improve and if you ever need us in the future we will be better.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

This was a good location for us, as everything we were doing that weekend were just a few miles away. Our room was quite large, with a large couch and microwave with refrigerator. The beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was large, but mold was forming around the inside of the tub, and the refrigerator was not clean and ice was building up so it did not cool very well. The food was just so so if you like powdered eggs as almost all hotels that include breakfast have. My suggestion to you is to go across the street to have a decent breakfast at the Steak and Shake. Would I stay there again....maybe

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Akumalholic
DaleLogan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2012

Thanks for your review. The mold issue has already been resolved and the fridge will be defrosted. The breakfast food is all per the Holiday Inn Express standard manual so I agree that I wish we had more options in that area. If you are in the area again I do hope you will stay again and let us show you the mold and fridge are the exception and not the rule.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Nice hotel.... loud slamming doors echo down the halls...
I don't understand why hotels have to put these door hinges that rock the entire
floor when the doors shut...
go figure.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Chrome1007

Thanks for your responce. The doors to hotels seem to slam hard because by law they must close all the way and latch even if only opened an inch. We try to get the doors to do this in the quietest manner possible but at times they do seem loud. Sorry for this impact on your stay.