“Average-to-pretty good lunch fare” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Cusco

Cafe Cusco
Ranked #13 of 673 Restaurants in Springfield
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Families with children
Description: Located in one of Springfield's oldest buildings on Historic C-Street. The beautiful ambiance and delicious healthy cuisine inspired from Peru and South America make Cafe Cusco a gem and favorite among locals. Relax in one of its covered carved wooden booths, sip a cup of hot yerba mate or a refreshing cocktail from the Summit Lounge on their out door patio. Gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian friendly with an exciting menu that appeals to all flavors from the exotic to the tame. Your diner adventure awaits! Discover Cafe Cusco! Wi-Fi/handicap/non-smoking/kid-friendly
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Average-to-pretty good lunch fare”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've been eagerly awaiting an opportunity to try Cafe Cusco, and I finally had a chance at lunch today. The friend that I was meeting was running late, so I ordered the Fritas la Huancaina appetizer and a yerba matte while I waited. I didn't even know that yerba mate was ever served iced, so I was suprised when it arrived that way, especially since the restaurant's logo seems to feature prominently a traditional gourd and straw for hot yerba mate. But what the hey, the iced yerba mate was good. The fritas la huancaina were ok. This is a dish of fried sweet potatoes and yukon gold potatoes covered in cheese sauce, topped with pickled onions and an olive. Basically, it was a platter of cheese fries. The cheese sauce had a delicious flavor, but the texture was a little grainy. At least I'm fairly certain that the potatoes are cut in-house due to the irregularity of the sizes they were cut into. Some were typical steak-fry cut, some were 2"x2"x4" log-o-taters.

My friend arrived and we ordered from the lunch menu - a limited offering for $7.99, which was appealing since the entrees we were interested in were $18.00. Our entrees arrived quickly and were delicious, and the proportions were good for lunch.

Throughout the meal our waitress was attentive, professional, and courteous. The big surprise came after the meal. My friend and I paid separately. I paid with cash and my friend paid with plastic, so I was the only one who received any change. My change was almost ALL in the form of loose change - over two dollars in coins! I received one dollar bill, one quarter, and literally a handful of dimes and nickels! There was just no reason for the waitress to do that unless they were out of ones, quarters, and dimes! I would have tipped better if it hadn't been for the needless excessive change situation, but I just left that pound of coins for her.

The food was good enough that I'll definitely go back. Also, the decor is really great.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Springfield, Missouri
“Better for lunch, perhaps?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We are always happy to have new cuisine options in Springfield, and gave the instantly popular Cafe Cusco several weeks to work out the new restaurant kinks before trying it out. The decor is upscale, the menu impressive, but the service is neither. We had Friday night reservations and we were promptly seated with waters. It was a good 10 minutes before a server visited us, and the food and drink throughout the evening was very, VERY slow to arrive. Apps arrived late, just before the main course, and some never showed up at all. A bottle of wine was delivered and left at our table with the (thankfully) screw-top cap in place. Our poor waitress explained the kitchen was overwhelmed with food orders from the upstairs bar, and a lot of hungry diners watched tray after tray pass by on the way to the staircase. All these details might have been overlooked if the food was amazing. It wasn't. It's basically Peruvian street food, a little bland and heavy with fried potatoes. Street food doesn't exactly match the grand decor or the prices. Half our main dishes were overcooked. It might have been an off night, but after all the glowing recommendations, we were disappointed by too many things gone wrong. Maybe weeknights or lunch are a better option?

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JennySWMO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very overpriced mediocre food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had high hopes for this place because of all the great reviews on various sites, but in the end the food wasn't very great. We ordered several different dishes including the sweet potato noodles, the quinoa burger, the cebiche tacos, and some other things. If you go here, I'd recommend the quinoa burger as it was the best among the things we ordered although still being unexceptional. Dessert was of acceptable quality but quite expensive.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank susan b
Auburn, New York
“Wow in Springfield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

A local friend introduced myself and a co worker to this restaurant while we were in town for work. What a wonderful surprise in a town know mostly for cashew chicken and barbeque. First the hostess is the mother of the owner; the owner was behind the bar. Both greeted us as we were seated. They were very gracious. We ordered two appetizers suggested by the waitress. I ordered a special drink. It was delicious. The owner offers several special drinks; give them a try if you get a chance.
We each ordered a different dish so we could share. Portions were generous and all were excellent. Spices were mild and complimented each dish. Rice is served on the side if wanted.
The decor was beautiful. There is a lounge upstairs that will offer music but we didn't go upstairs. I hope this place succeeds and I get another chance to eat there.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank dese2
“Authentic Peruvian Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I visited Peru this summer and was pleasantly surprised by how authentic the food is here. Great atmosphere in an old restored building on Commercial street. Can't wait to go back and try it again.

2 Thank Kristy B