“Stay Away”

Cuisines: Chinese
Springfield, Missouri
“Stay Away”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

First time I had been there in 15 years, and the last time I'll ever go. There are so many good options for Chinese food in Springfield I have no idea why anyone would go to Jade East. The food was terrible, and cold, despite it being just 11:30 am. Their chicken is the lowest quality meat money can buy. The selection on the buffet is poor. The atmosphere is horrendous, as it is clear no money has been put into the building in a decade. Overall, a terrible experience.

• Visited June 2013

Springfield, Missouri
“No frills, decent food”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

As the birthplace of cashew chicken, Springfield has a plethora of drive through cashew chicken joints. Chinese buffets come and go, and I have not yet found one I considered up to the standard of say, Royal Dragon in Tulsa. Jade East was one of the first and has managed to stay in business over the years. It was several years since I had eaten there and the decor had changed somewhat. Simple tables and chairs with a few Chinese statues and a fish tank.
What this place is not — a place with five or six buffet tables, a Mongolian grill, a sushi bar, and a range of offerings such as pizza, hamburgers, spaghetti or macaroni and cheese designed to appeal to kids or those who don't like Chinese.
What it is — one long buffet bar with a selection of the Chinese buffet mainstays with a few different things such as an interesting chicken curry dish. It has two soups, and a small salad-dessert section. All of the buffet food was kept quite hot, rather than the lukewarm temperature frequently found on steam tables. I don't need to have 100 selections on a buffet when 85 of them don't appeal to me, and I was able to have sufficient choices for a good lunch.
This comment applies to Chinese buffets in general — I'd like to see a lot more vegetables. I'm also not big on the fried dishes, and Jade East doesn't focus on them at the expense of other dishes.
The orange chicken and general's chicken were definitely not spicy enough for my tastes, although the chicken curry and hunan chicken were somewhat spicy.
The place also offers an all-day buffet for $5.49 so it's an economical choice, and I liked it as well as the buffets that offer fairly unspectacular food at higher prices.
Our server was extremely attentive, asked if there was anything else we needed and brought an unending supply of drink refills. She gets five stars.

• Visited May 2013
Missouri
“Good food at an excellent price”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The buffet offers many delicious selections. The staff is friendly and conscientious. And the prices are EXCELLENT. Recently, our party of two adults and one child ate lunch there for less than $17.00! I definitely recommend this restaurant!

• Visited December 2012