“Disappointed”

St. George's Barbecue
Ranked #453 of 699 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I am a fan of BBQ and have eaten my fair share from KC to south Texas to Tennessee. I realize there are many opinions of what makes good BBQ. My qualifiers are that it must be tender, flavorful, and have a good deep rich smoke flavor. A good sauce is a plus. The better the BBQ, the less sauce it should need. I had high hopes as i like their doughnuts and the inside of the place smells good and smoky, BUT I had a brisket sandwich - the mainstay I judge BBQ joints to- i found it dry, tough and without much flavor. I tried to make up for it some with the sauce but then found the sauce to be mostly chile powder flavor (i favor KC style sweet thick style). My son had a turkey sandwich, first choice was chicken but they were out, and I will say this was a much better. It was moist, smokey and had some flavor to it. Maybe I caught em on a bad day for brisket, but if that is true, consistency has to be there for a truly good BBQ place. We shared an order of waffle sweet potato fries which were unique, my first choice was onion rings but they were out. Bye the way, there was only one other customer when we were here so not sure why they seemed to out of so many things but will most likely not be back, too many other BBQ places in the area to choose from.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were on our way togo skydiving and just passing through Springfield when my husband suggested bbq for lunch. We like to eat local so Googled best bbq in springfield mo st georgies popped up. From the outside we werent sure...we LOVE bbq!! Ordered the pork sandwich and my husbans ordered two meat platter turkey and pulled pork. The owner was fabulous and made a special mustard based sauce for us...EXCELLENT...he later brought by a tray of doughnuts for 'dessert' he owns the shop next door..melt in your mouth. Our meal was less than $20!! And we tipped over 30%! Well worth it will visit again when we are in the area.

1  Thank rmmm616
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This place is fantastic! Chris St. George really knows what he's doing! I love everything this man makes, and recommend everything on the menu. Yum!

2  Thank Ashley S
Reviewed November 9, 2012

First, let me say, Barbecue is Beef. And StGeorge's beef is done right, smoke ring, moist, not greasy, not burnt on the outside, fat is trimmed off. and the sauce is pretty good, somewhat reminiscent of texas, but definitely with a little non-texas orientation.

That being said, what this guy can do to a pig will make you want to slap your daddy! But don't slap poor old dad, slap some ribs on his plate, he'll know he raised you right. Or if his dentures can't handle meat on a bone, get the pulled pork, it's real good. The guy that owns the place is the same guy that is tending the smoker, his own self, not some hired hand, so he has every reason to make sure EVERY hunk of meat is something he can be proud of. I eat StGeorge at least once a year, like going to BassPro, it's a "must do" when in Springfield. But when I get to StGeorge, it's filled with Springfield-ians, not tourists. Life is to short to eat Barbecue from a franchise store, the natives know this. Please don't tell my momma, but I eat pork when I'm up here, shhh!

Shoot, I was thinking about marrying a Springfield girl, just so I could have him cater the thing, but my wife was totally in favor of just buying a a couple of pounds of pulled pork, to go. It's "dine in" eating at "carry out" prices. Maybe a little more, but well worth the extra buck or two.

3  Thank daanderson77