“AVOID! Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Plaza Springfield Hotel and Oasis Convention Center

Ramada Plaza Springfield Hotel and Oasis Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
St. Louis
“AVOID! Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

And that may be an understatement. First, when my coworker and I checked in, they had lost my reservation. The desk attendant was friendly but seemed annoyed to be working there.

When I got to my room, it wreaked of potpourri. Not in a good way. It was the cheap stuff (think your grandma's bathroom). Overwhelming and nauseating. I assume it used to be a smoking room, and they were just covering it up. I'd rather deal with the smoke.

The furniture was banged up, and the linens were old and dingy. The beds were small. The view out my window was a cinder block wall.

I was awoken early in the morning by the sound of construction equipment. My coworker had an even worse experience as his room was in the MIDDLE of all the construction. In fact, he was awoken at 6:30 a.m. when a strange man entered his room and was startled to find someone sleeping there. "Oh, I didn't know they put anyone down here," he said. "You know, there's construction going on down here, right? Well, sorry. Try to get some sleep."

When my coworker exited his room that morning, ALL of the rooms in his wing were open and being worked on, except for his of course.

Needless to say, we checked out early.

• Liked — Restaurant: Good food.
  • Disliked — Apathetic staff, smelly rooms, dingy linens, worn out furniture, terrible view.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Rodick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Colchester, CT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2008

As you pull into the Oasis, we were reminder of an old cheesy Las Vegas Motel. Don't be fooled by the fountains or the landscaping. After checking in, it was all down hill.

After requesting a king room when make the reservation, I was given a room with two doubles. Keep in mind that there was never more than 20-25 cars in the parking lot. Hardly full. After realizing the several lights did not work, I headed to the front desk to request another room.

Room number two was a king, but upon entering the room was not made. No sheets or blankets on the bed. Back to the front desk.

Room number three was also a king, and this one was ready for me. However the room looked like it was from the 60's. The carpet was some horrible green color, but was more brown than anything (keep your shoes on). Mold on the bathroom ceiling. I could go on.

The receptionest raved about the included breakfast, but you have to eat it in the atrium. It is very warm in there, and you have to deal with the strong chlorine smell from the pool and fountains. The hot portion of the breakfast was the same for 4 mornings. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, and gravy. Only need to eat it once.

There are many more choices in Springield, so I would keep going past the Oasis. Definitely not worth it.

• Disliked — The 1960
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank vtkapoor
St. Louis, MO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

I stayed here in early April after seeing the website. From my college days, I knew where this place was but saw it was remodeled. The website makes everything look great but I was very disappointed with my stay. I will preface this by saying I had a $59 group rate to stay here. I got into Springfield a little early and asked about an early check-in. Although the place seemed dead they told me check in doesn't begin until 3:00, as others are still checking out. (Thanks for the condescending explanation by the way, I've never stayed at a hotel before.)

I checked in at 3:00 and got to my room and realized why it only cost $59. It looked like the same 30 year old hotel with a fresh coat of paint. Walls are paper thin, and my room adjoined to another. You can see under the doors between the rooms and you can basically hear everything they are saying/doing in the next room. The bathroom looked just like it did from day one, and the furniture screamed 1970's.

I will admit that the lobby and other areas looked nice, but my room (number was in the 400's) was gross. Had some friends stay in the 500's and their room was nicer, so try for one of those.
This place is great for young sports teams or large groups, but otherwise I would not recommend or stay here again. There are 10 hotels within walking distance of this place, and at least 7 of them are much nice.

• Liked — When I left the parking lot for the last time
  • Disliked — Room was terrible....couldn't get WiFi to work
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Melandy
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Oasis with our three children. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. We had a 1st floor room with a sliding door out to the atrium. The door does not lock from the outside, so yes, you need to be careful to keep an eye on things or to not leave valuables in the room. The foliage in front of the room creates the Oasis feeling, and each room has patio chairs outside in which to sit and listen to the fountains (especially before the pool opens at 9), read the paper, and drink coffee.

I'll admit, the decor of the Oasis Inn is rather unusual, but in the public areas of the hotel, such as the lobby and atrium, it works. Where the decor does not work is in the hallways and rooms. The green cast makes them appear very dark and uninviting. We were there in the off-season and the place was pretty much empty. That may also have something to do with our general feeling. I'm sure that during the tourist season when the place is bustling with people it makes a difference.

The breakfast is served each morning in the atrium. It was delicious and we ate it at the Oasis both mornings. The biscuits were warm and moist - great with butter or the cream sauce/gravy. There was also bacon and sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, three varieties of cereal, oatmeal, muffins, juice, coffee, and more. You sit in the atrium to eat breakfast, which is quite nice with the water fountains flowing around you. This is also the best place to access the wireless internet. The signal is not quite strong enough in the room. But I didn't mind sitting in such an inviting atmosphere to check email and plan the next legs of our trip.

The kids loved the place - exploring the hotel, and swimming in the pool. My husband thought the sinks were cool, and liked that there are two sinks in the room - one in the bathroom, and one outside. There was a mini fridge - great for storing leftovers, but don't plan to stock it full of groceries - it's too small for that. Everything was clean, and workers could be found at any time working to keep things that way.

My only real complaint was the bed. I slept terribly on it, as the mattress was far too firm for me. By the second night, I couldn't wait to move on to the next place so get a painless night's rest.

Bottom line, I would recommend the Oasis as a great place to stay while you are in Springfield.

• Stayed February 2008
MO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2008

We called directly and reserved our room and were quoted a price of $85. When we arrived we were told that they did not have our reservation and if we wanted a room it would be $115 we were tired and went ahead and payed. We got our room to discovered it had two small beds in it so we called the front and asked for a roll away bed for my daughter and decided to get in the pool. My son had jumped in the pool with his money in his pocket and returned to the room and laid it out on the desk area. When we returned to the room again the money had been stolen. We called the front desk because the only person that had been in the room had been the housekeeper to bring the bed for my daughter. They told us they would call us back and let us know. After an hour we called back was told that it is not there fault and there was nothing they could do about it. We were very upset by this point. We left a while later taking all valuables with us. After we ate and came back we discovered our door keys would not work. I called up to the front desk from my cell and asked why we couldnt get in our room and was told that they had decided to kick us out because of the money that was stolen. And if we didnt leave immediately they were calling the police. NO refund no explanation no anything. I would never recommend this hotel to any one in 4 hours I was overcharged had money stolen from my room and locked out ended up losing over 200 dollars and was treated very rudely. NEVER STAY THERE!!!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank courtneysmommie
Kansas City North
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2008

We booked a Saturday night reservation for this hotel based on the good reviews and the fact it was a newer hotel with a great pool near Drury University, where we were visiting. Upon check in, we had some major problems with bed accommodations. I later learned that the person who caused our miserable problems had other issues as well, and had been let go. Setting this isolated incident aside, all the staff we spoke to on the phone and at the hotel and restaurant were extremely nice and accommodating, way above average. The grounds felt safe and secure, as the facility is set back away from the road with a grand waterfall entrance.

The hotel is easy to navigate, with clearly marked doorways and room numbers. It reminded me of the hotel in “Vacation“ where Chevy Chase swims with Christy Brinkley in the center pool surrounded by 2 levels of rooms. The large clean pool is surrounded by huge tropical plants with a mulch and stone covered trail all the way around, providing a cool jungle trail effect for the kids and an alternative path back to your pool-view sliding glass door and patio. I did not like the fact we couldn’t lock our sliding door from the outside while we went swimming, the door was impossible to see through the plants. There are lots of tables around and room to relax, eat and imbibe your favorite beverages. There were never any pool towels available while we were there, bring your own.

Our pool level room had 2 queen beds, nice furniture and fixtures, one easy chair, but no microwave & the tiny fridge only holds one to-go box and there was really nowhere to hang wet clothing or towels. There was cable TV, a small free standing room heater (you won‘t need this, the pool area is steamy and tropical warm), wall mounted AC (which we needed on all night in wintertime), a second sink and mirror outside the bathroom (very nice), bedding was standard acceptable, but I did find some dried food stuck to the brown acrylic blanket on my bed and a hairbrush and paper wrappers on the floor. Everything else seemed very clean. We were able to fit 2 rollaway beds for the kids end to end in front of the sliding glass doors.

Breakfast was excellent, running until 9:30 am Sunday morning with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, gravy, bagels, muffins, cereal, juices, coffee, etc., (no fresh fruit) but wonderful. The eating area is spectacular, lots of comfortable seating surrounded by rushing water, tropical plants and fountains.

The business center room is upstairs from the pool area with one computer without speakers, a printer, scanner, stapler and a couple of chairs. The wireless internet access only works in this room, it does NOT work in your hotel room.

The Fire and Ice Restaurant has excellent top chef style dishes. If you can, sit in the tall chairs facing the kitchen to watch the chefs at work. The 10 oz sirloin is unbelievably good, also the salmon dish! I loved the baskets of assorted hot dinner roll breads and exotic butter spreads. The chef accommodated my 10 year old by making her a grilled shrimp skewer to go with her meal. It was her birthday, but the servers refused to sing or do anything extra except bring her an ice cream sundae.

After we checked out at 1:00 pm (the latest checkout allowed), I saw we were charged an automatic $35 gratuity for using a credit card to pay for dinner on a $100 bill, which we had also left a $20 cash tip on the table for the server. This issue was addressed by the WONDERFUL general manager and the $35 charge was promptly reversed.

There were several groups of rowdy tweens running around the hotel unsupervised that night, and there was no visible hotel staff around except for the front desk. There were people partying and swimming in the pool until after 3 am. This hotel is nice, clean and spacious - I would highly recommend it for older kids birthday parties, reunions, or other fun get-togethers, but bring earplugs if you want to sleep through the night.

• Liked — the pool and tropical jungle feel!
  • Disliked — bedding
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Oasis. From the time we started planning, until the end of the reception, we were treated with nothing but respect. Since we had our reception at the inn, we were given a complementary hotel room after the party. At check-in time we asked for and received a late check-out. When we booked our reception in December of 2006, we were told we would be in a standard king room for the night. Upon checking in, we were pleasantly surprised to see we had been upgraded to a two story suite. The room was big enough for us to host friends and family at a post reception get-together. The whole hotel is decorated beautifully. We loved the Art-deco style and it was incredibly quiet for two newlyweds to get some much needed rest and relaxation. Another great thing about the Oasis; my grandfather passed away the morning of our wedding. The catering manger handling our reception personally wrote our family a nice letter of condolence. This went above and beyond my expectations. My husband and I are looking forward to having an in town getaway at the Oasis soon.

• Liked — The great staff, the great decor, and the peace and quiet!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business