“WAY OVER PRICED”

Fantastic Caverns
Ranked #7 of 99 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the timeless beauty of Fantastic Caverns, one of the earth's rarest treasures. There are only four of its' kind in the entire world, and only one in North America. Here, you'll discover one of the world's most beautiful natural wonders; giant columns stretching from floor to ceiling, delicate soda straws glistening with minerals, tiny cave pearls hidden in crystal-clear water. And best of all, you'll see it close-up from the comfort of a Jeep-drawn tram!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 8, 2014

While visiting the area we toured the cavern. It was nice but way over priced. I think the lighting inside the cavern could have been better so that you could view the drop offs. It is a ride tour so not a lot of walking.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,355)
All reviews
"all ages"
in 43 reviews
"springfield area"

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Loved the tour Guide, I wish I could remember her name, she was very knowledgeable and also very funny. I was also pleasantly surprised at the temperature inside the caves, it was freezing cold outside so I was expecting a very chilly ride but once inside the caves it was beautifully warm, I expect in the Summer it will be the opposite - lovely and cool.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I am a splunker and enjoy a new cave. I'd never before taken a Jeep caving so went for it. The staff was very kind and accommodating. I was the only one so had front seat with the guide. He had some history but didn't seem to have a wealth of information. There was a stop to watch a video once inside. I think that would be better in the gift shop. I have a feeling the conservation of the cave is not top priority, but it is a lovely drive and surroundings there.
Overall, I didn't think it fantastic, but if you've not done much caving it's okay.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

It's not very entertaining unless you're interested in geology. My 1 year old loved all the colored lights and the other families with younger children seemed to enjoy themselves.
The one family with teenagers didn't seem to have as much fun. One kid ruined his phone as he tried playing on it the whole ride and it got wet.
Bring a sweater as it gets cold in those caves. We went during the summer when it was hot outside and our daughter about froze 6 feet inside the cave.
The gift shop is a tourist trap. Nothing there is from the caves and it's all to make you buy crap. It was a little expensive for a half hour ride. We wont be doing this again unless our youngest is interested.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I don't know of another cave with a ride in capability. The cavern is large enough for a vehicle and trailer to haul you around, which is unusual in itself. It's complete with cave life and I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it. Gift store, visitors center is very nice and upscale. The road out there north of Springfield takes maybe 30 minutes from Springfield. Once you get off the highway, watch for the signs as there are several turns. You're driving through neighborhoods so keep your eyes open for signs showing the way.

1  Thank Jerry B

Been to Fantastic Caverns? Share your experiences!