“thin walls - sleep constantly disrupted” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn Springfield East

La Quinta Inn Springfield East
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
rosharon, TX
“thin walls - sleep constantly disrupted”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

This appeared to be an older motel, but at least the staff were pleasant, and accommodating. However, the rooms were tired looking.

It wasn't the staff's fault that the walls were so thin, but I could hear EVERYTHING in the next room. If someone coughed in their bathroom, I'd think that someone was in my room (I was a solo traveler).

At one point, the person in the next room set their alarm for 5:15 a.m., and then had a busy schedule of showering, feeding their dog (yes, I could hear kibble hitting bowl), etc. I asked the hotel staff to move me to a different room for the following two nights, and they were very accommodating. Although they warned me that I still had an adjoining room kind of situation, fortunately, my "room-mate" was a late sleeper, and I was able to sleep through to 6:00 a.m. without a problem (I was working).

I felt like I spent too much for this motel for the quality, and the poor sleep. However, I can speak very highly of the staff - very friendly, efficient, and accommodating. They did everything they could to grant me a better stay, and they did succeed. However, the stay went from poor to medicore - not their fault.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

I'm not staying at La Quinta any more. Worst experience at a La Quinta ever. This is my 3rd stay at this particular location.

We made reservations 5 months ahead of time and stayed for 2 weeks. The website shows Check-In at 1PM. When we arrived at 1 we were told check in was at 3. We were not told that that the location would be remodeling during our stay nor were we told that the hot tub would be inaccessible. We also weren't told that the remodeling could be making noises that would prevent anyone from getting peace during the day. The ice machine on our floor didn't work the entire time we were here so we had to get ice from the 1st floor.

The housekeeping personnel were loud when they opened the room doors, allowing them to slam shut onto the door guard that was then flipped over to keep the door from shutting all the way. It would make more sense to me if they were able to prop the door completely open while cleaning rooms as it wouldn’t require them to open the door each time to get linens, cleaners, etc.

The remodeling that was happening on the 2nd floor was loud and obnoxious. Hammering and other loud noises disturbed us and our dog. If our dog is annoyed she tends to bark and that disturbs us and your other guests.

Renting the room next to us to families with small children was not very thoughtful. One day a guest stayed there and propped their door open and seemed to have a party between that and another room for a few hours. We didn't come to a hotel to stay awake all the time, we would like to take a nap once in a while. I shouldn't have to request that the room next to us not be rented unless it's necessary just so we can get some peace. We didn't travel 1400 miles to stay in a noisy hotel.

The room we were in was directly above the hot tub which had no glass surround. Instead was just plastic. Because of this, when anyone was in the pool, sound would travel outside through the plastic and up to our window and even with our window shut and the A/C on we would hear them.

The hotel's pet policy states not to leave your pet alone in your room. After spending some time away from the hotel on one day we came back to hear a constant bark from a room nearby which can only mean that the guest in charge of the dog was not in their room. When I called down to the desk, the person was almost laughing it off as if it wasn't an issue. I wouldn't have called if it wasn't an issue. My wife called down a bit later and got a better response and within 30 minutes the dog was quiet.

There is a huge pothole in the only drive to the hotel. The first day of our stay someone put a warning cone over the top of it. Later in the day the cone was gone and haven't seen it since. The pot hole is still there almost 2 weeks later.

The room we were in had no screen in the window. Although the window would open, it would be stupid of us to do so since it would allow bugs to enter. The window was not easy to open either.

The 'suite' we had when compared to another La Quinta suite we stayed in was more like a double with one bed removed, a couch and refrigerator added. While this worked for the most part, I expected much more.

The carpets haven't been cleaned in a while or have had a lot of traffic since the last cleaning. Our feet and/or socks became black after only walking in the room a short while.

The bed pad that goes between the mattress and sheet was 2 pieces instead of one creating a seam in the middle. They also didn't have anything holding them in place so the pads would move in the night creating lumps. The chair was almost more comfortable to sleep in.

The phones in our room: one had a room number of 308 and the other one had 318, neither were our actual room number. The phone on the 'desk' was missing a rubber foot so when I dialed the phone would rock and make an annoying bang against the desk. It took the front desk half the day to enable the phone so we could dial out. I'm not sure why we had to call them to get it to work, I would assume they would turn it on when we checked in. This happened twice during our stay.

The TV should be across from the couch, not next to the 'desk'. If there are more than one guest in the room, one could work while the other watches TV. I can see this as an issue if it's only 1 in the room.

Why would they have suites on the 3rd floor but only have the laundry on the 1st floor? Seems to me it would be better for guests that would typically stay longer to have it on the 3rd floor either instead of or in addition to.

The pool rules clearly state closed at 10:30PM. At just after 11 there were still loud people in the pool, which again we can hear so since the front desk didn't take it upon themselves to ask them to leave, my wife went down and requested it. We shouldn't have to tell them to enforce their own rules.

There seems to be no insulation between the rooms. Unlike most people I prefer not to disturb my neighbors so when I watch TV I tend to keep the volume low which can make it impossible to keep up with the dialog.

There was a tornado warning during one morning of our stay. Being from this area we knew the dangers and since I am a former spotter for the NWS I knew the what to look for. At around 8AM the threat had passed but the warning was still in effect. Of course the front desk had called up to let us know we were in a warning and should be in the lobby. My wife decided it was time to go get breakfast off site and went down to leave but the door to the side of the lot we were parked at was locked. This may have been for safety during the warning but this is a violation of life safety codes. My wife asked the front desk about the door and which way she could leave and they pointed to another door. This cause my wife to have to walk around the entire building in the pouring rain to our vehicle, at which time she noticed the doors were now unlocked and people were leaving through them. The front desk could have told her they were unlocking them shortly or something instead of what they did.

There are signs that show a fitness center. Their idea of a fitness center consists of a hotel room with the bed and other stuff removed and a treadmill and a 'home gym' put in place. The first time we stayed here the 'gym' was available but now the 'center' is gone.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

This was not a good value at all. Had a coupon for $59. The hotel did not have any coupon rooms because they had a tour group call in for 30 rooms, hummm. The front desk wasn't even willing to work with us to help with other options. They offered a $94 & $119 priced room. Wow on almost double and the other double the coupon price. This place is more worried about making money, more than pleasing their customers. If the weather would have been better; we would have driven on down to the LaQuinta in Joplin. The Joplin LQ is really nice, very friendly and reasonably priced.

Also, there was cereal behind the frig in plan site. How the cleaning folks missed that, no one knows. Finally 3 squares left on the toilet paper roll, great if you need it when you get to your room....

Pool was down for chemical treatment. Why on a weekend is anybodies guess?

Because of the weather and pets, we had no real options.

Sitting here typing this up and the cable really sucks, mostly snow.

With better weather we would have kept on driving. We almost stopped here Tuesday night and really glad we didn't.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
White Lake, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

Stayed here one night on our way to St. Louis - didn't really spend much time at the hotel but it wasn't one of my favorite hotels I'd ever been at. I had won a $40 (plus tax) bid on Priceline for this hotel, which is a decent enough deal, not great (rates on website are $59 plus tax).

Lady at front desk was relatively rude when I requested a non-smoking king room. Told me that I had been placed in a non-smoking double and she couldn't change it, and that if I needed something specific I shouldn't ever use Priceline, and then proceeded to explain to me what Priceline was. I know all about Priceline, I use it often, and generally speaking (with a few notable exceptions) if you call a hotel and are nice, they will hook you up with a non-snoking room with whatever bed set-up you need. So needless to say I didn't need Miss Know-it-all to explain to me how the travel industry works.

Anyhow upon entering the room we dumped our bags and noticed that the room reaked of cheap cleaning solution. Figuring that since we were just dumping our bags, we'd turn on the A/C unit/fan and not worry about it as we were leaving to go see a Springfield Cardinals game. After the ballgame and dinner, we returned to the La Quinta at 10:45ish and the room still reaked like Lysol or some bleach-chemical cleaning product. While I do appreciate that they use cleaners and keep the rooms clean, its not awesome to get a headache from smelling these types of solutions overnight. I called the front desk to see about possibly getting another room, this time a different girl answers but they have only smoking rooms left. So we went to bed and woke up the next day still smelling the chemical. I should have complained at least to Priceline but Priceline cannot guarantee the type of rooms you are in, etc. But I'd think at least that the room shouldn't be harmful to your health.

On a bright note, the breakfast here was pretty solid and the beds were at least comfortable. I'd stay here again if it wasn't for the smell of cleaning solution in my room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
KC MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

Just returned from a one night stay. Booked on Hotels.com. Got a great rate. This would not be the rate if booking directly. That's why a gave it an average on value.

Rooms have been updated int he last three years since I was ther last. Nice decor and bed linens. Everything was clean but the underside of the toilet. Can you tell I'm pretty picky. But it wasn't like they hadn't cleaned just missed a spot or they didn't look very well when they were done.

Staff was great, indoor heated pool was actually heated and felt so good. I could have stayed in it for hours. Hot tub jets were not working but it was to hot anyway and just got back in the pool.

Hot breakfast, eggs, bisquits and gravy, waffles, fruit, donuts, rolls, bagles, cereal. Milk, Juice and Coffee. An attendent was there to help keep everything full and on ice.

Great value, good 3 star hotel.

JDKC

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Centerton, AR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

Floor flexes when you walk. Hall carpet needs replacement and walks look to be painted with cheap paint.Breakfast average, but seating area way too small for number of hotel residents. Long elevator wait. First room had a lockout door that didnt latch and a barking dog next door. Thin walls. Staff moved me to another room that had non working lights over the sink, by the bed, and a VERY particular door card reader. Staff was nice, but I won't be staying there again. Generally clean, but big mold buildup on bathtup overfill drain. This sheets and blankets. Good but loud manual A/C. This hotel is not ranked above a 2 star rating on many sites, and did not measure up the the 2 star hotels I stayed in the rest of the trip, but beware-- Hotwire rates it 2.5 stars...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank davesbrew
Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2009

Me, my sister and her 2 year old son stayed here on a long trip. We chose this hotel because it was right off the highway and it was getting late. Check in was fairly quick. The main lobby, which is where breakfast is served, was quite small. This hotel is long past the renovation stage. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. The rooms smelled musty. The floors would creak and every few steps I would feel the floor board sink. The floor in the bathroom was uneven. The beds were soft, but they had paper thin sheets that did not fit properly so they came off during the night. The toilet in our room was backed up, when we called the front desk and she said it would be awhile unless we wanted to come get the plunger and do it ourselves. Over an hour later someone finally came to fix the problem. The rooms were clean, but worn. The heated indoor pool was small, but nice. The breakfast was average. The dining area was so small that all the guests were tripping over each other. It was very crowded and unpleasant. The location was perfect for us, seeing how we were hitting the road first thing in the morning. This is not a hotel I would choose to stay at again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family