“Servers getting back to the "heart of service"”

Houlihan's Restaurant and Bar- at DoubleTree
Ranked #16 of 720 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2014

For the last 5 weeks I have spent every night but 4 at this establishment. I am in town for work and I must say that the 5 in this staff that are listed below are the ones that keep me coming back night after night after night. They make it feel like home away from home.

Eric: Eric is only temporarily visiting this location from the other location in town. I have gotten to dine with Eric as my server. Eric is extremely relatable and makes it a point to even if I am not sitting in his section to say hello and check in to make sure everything is going okay. I know he is only visiting this location for the time being but he is an asset wherever he is.
Nick: Nick has been the perfect model of southern hospitality. Nick was one of the first to dive deeper than just being a server and ask more than “what can I get you to drink”. As part of my Job I am a sales trainer and very seldom outside of work to I get to see sales and service go hand in hand. He is one that ask the “where ya from”, “What do ya do” turning the few meals into an experience. The few times that I have gotten to dine with Nick as my server I can’t even recall looking at the price. Nick also makes a point to say hi when not in his section. I know like Eric, Nick will be leaving this location shortly to return to the south location but I can say his service at this location will be missed.
Jenn: OH when I think of Jenn I just think of magnetic. She has a personality that just draws you to her. She is sweet and sincere. She does know how to upsell and I will say she is one that I do not mind getting upsold from. One of the things that I like about Jenn Is she “keeps it real”. Not many servers are easy to open up to but she is one that I would come just to talk with a side of food.

Kristynn: Kristynn has been a treat each time I have gotten to dine with her as my server. She makes recommendations outside of the box and has gotten me to step out of my comfort zone. I will say I would have never thought to order a bottle of wine while out, but I also have not been upsold on my beer or long island much. I love her personality and how she just makes dining so easy. Amazing service from start to finish every time.
Ben: Last but not least is Ben. It has been enjoyable having Ben as my server from day 1. I would say he is the one out of the four that I have had the most frequently. One of the things I like about Ben is he remembers the little things. I think I have only had to tell him the first time to put the food and beverages on separate tab’s or that I like the long islands in a smaller cup. He was fantastic at making recommendations and just amazing at his job.

I wish I could just say to the owner give all of these a raise but anyone who has worked anywhere knows that it does not quite work like that. But I figured a fantastic review might serve a little better.

Cheers,
Rusty

Kevin L, General Manager at Houlihan's Restaurant and Bar- at DoubleTree, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Wow! What a great review. Thank you for taking the time to publicly recognize these great employees. Our best asset is our staff and you have noted some of our best. These men and women are the heart of what we do and I am very proud to have them on our team.

Thanks again

Kevin

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We brought our friend from Dallas and got appetizers and desserts. Ben was amazing and attentive and made our experience so wonderful the whole time. He is just the best server we've ever had. We always ask for his section because he remembers drinks we like and has them ready when we arrive. And the food and atmosphere is so nice, clean, elegant, and classy. We love Houlihans!!

Kevin L, General Manager at Houlihan's Restaurant and Bar- at DoubleTree, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thanks for your review! Ben has been with for quite a while, and always does a good job. His personality is truly one of a kind! So glad we were able to give you and your friends a great experience.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I've been to the Houlihan's on the south side of Springfield, but not the north side. My cousins and I had a girl's night and we were completely goofing off in the restaurant. Our server, Jennifer (or Jenn, Jen, or Jenny <-- as we liked to call her) was goofing off right with us. She was very prompt with our food, drinks, and appetizers. The manager (I believe) came over to make sure we were doing okay. To anyone there that was at the restaurant while we were all there, I am sorry if you thought we were crazy, b/c of how loud and obnoxious we were. We all have kids, and haven't had a girls night in a long time lol. Anywho, the service was great, the food (I got the margharita flat bread, nom nom nom) was great. Jenn was absolutely amazing! Don't miss out on going to Houlihans, if you get the chance.

Thanks for the great comment! People like "Jenny" are the key to our success. It is so nice when they are recognized so publicly. She was very excited about your review.

Thanks and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I always try to eat at Houlihan's when I come to Springfield - both of them. I really enjoy the fact that they have small portioned meals on the menu. The service is always friendly. My favorite dish is their petite filet with baked potato, salad and vegetable. They have delicious unsweet iced tea and never ending refills. Although I usually eat supper there around 7 to 9, I have arrived at almost closing time and received the same excellent food and service. I do think this Houlihan's is somewhat quieter than the one on the south end of Springfield.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Love this restaurant. The service is great. The food is wonderful. Aaron always remembers us and is super friendly.