“Dog friendly property with great front desk staff avoid bistro”

Courtyard Springfield Airport
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Dog friendly property with great front desk staff avoid bistro”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

In mapping out a cross country trip with two senior dogs, I found the Courtyard Springfield to be pet friendly. I stay in Marriott properties a few times a month on business. In addition I own two Marriott vacation properties and hold a Marriott Visa. I state that so you are aware of my experience with Marriott properties. Upon check in on May 26, 2013 at the Courtyard, I was greeted by Amy who told me although she is new and still learning the property she set aside two rooms for me close together on the third floor. In addition to my dogs I had my 80 year old dad too and wanted him close by. I held the key to room 333 and dad was in 331. Unfortunately the guest before me must have been a smoker and the room reeked of smoke. I let Amy know as I didn't want to be charged anything additional for a room that smelled like smoke on arrival. Instead, Amy searched for a room that would still be close to dad and let us move. I highly recommend room 330 as it had a balcony overlooking a pretty courtyard and it was very clean. No microwave nor mini fridge. You are really paying extra for a loveseat size sofabed. Although you can hear the highway with the door open it was a great thing to have for me and the dogs. The courtyard below had a fire pit and ample seating. Wonderful area to relax after a long day of driving. I had a nice workout in the gym on property which had two treadmills and one elliptical all equipped with their own TVs. There was also a large tv with remote. There are free weights and a bench but no mats or exercise balls. They have ample towels and a water dispenser with small Dixie size cups. I recommend bringing a water bottle. There was nothing to sanitize machines after use. The elliptical was the most difficult I had ever been on. It was older and man what a workout. The one negative I have to report is the complete disappointment in the Bistro in the hotel and especially the service. After having grabbed a coffee and some guacamole for my dad before my workout with slow service, I came back for dinner since I didn't want to leave the property. The Bistros as a whole are fairly new inside the Courtyards and my disappointment has not been exclusive to one hotel. They all struggle with food quality. In addition, I am a vegetarian and there are few options outside of snacks like dips (guacamole and hummus) to choose from. You can ask for things to be left off but that's a whole different challenge i have faced that I won't cover in this review. Most food seems prepped ahead and reheated. Upon returning to the Bistro, the younger brunette female working (they don't wear name tags in the bistro) was on her phone texting sitting on the counter next to the toasting machine while I stood there and waited for her. Once she wrapped up her conversation on her phone she greeted me to ask what I would like. I ordered the hummus with the pesto and the guacamole and the Asian salad with no chicken. She placed the order but said they were out of the red pepper topping for the hummus. I said that was fine and asked again if the pesto was still available. She said yes so I said to leave the order as is. When she brought the hummus out it did not have the pesto, the carrots were past their prime and the "toasted" flatbread was soggy. I asked about the pesto and she said oh yea, I thought we had it but he (the man prepping the food I assumed) said it was bad. I said okay, can you take it off my bill? she said yea, its only 95 cents. I was not impressed with that. Who cares what the price is you shouldn't pay for something you don't have. I have had the hummus plate at other bistros so I know what to expect. The bread was like it was stale or soggy before it was toasted. I took it back to the counter and the tall bearded cook informed me that the flatbread was supposed to be that way. I let him know that I was not interested in eating it regardless. But again another interesting response from a Marriott employee. With all of the franchises now privately owned it can be tougher these days to experience the Marriott way if staff isn't trained properly. These bistro folks clearly were texting or daydreaming during customer service training. My salad also came without the dressing so I had to request that as well. So you know, my dad ordered wings and they were dry but he said they were fine. Please do not let the Bistro food or customer service poor quality keep you from staying at this property. The front desk and housekeeping staff were fantastic and this is a great property for people and especially dogs. Just plan your meals off property. If this review was helpful please give me your helpful vote.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Sofia R
CourtyardSGF, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Airport, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you very much for providing feedback regarding our Courtyard. We are pleased that you enjoyed most of your stay. I will share these comments with our Front Office and Housekeeping Staff. We also appreciate that you gave us some constructive criticism regarding your Bistro service. This is definitely not up to our standards and gives us opportunity to coach and counsel our staff to meet expectations. I hope you will have the oppotunity to stay with us again. Sincerely, Shelley Copeland, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Livermore, California
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. The staff was wonderful and the bistro/bar is a great place to hang out in the evening! We just wished that they offered breakfast too. We were starving when we woke up, but the bistro was closed so we had to drive to a restaurant to eat. The room was basic, but clean. The linens on the bed were terrible - just a thin blanket and thin coverlet that smelled like bleach. My husband blasts the A/C wherever we stay, so I froze the first night because they had no extra blankets. We were in a hurry to get to a graduation on our last day and accidentally left my husband's necklace and a shirt of mine in the room. They found the necklace and returned it to us, but we were told they could not locate the shirt. That seemed very strange to us -- if they had the necklace, why not the shirt too? It was a favorite shirt, and after many calls (none were returned!), we never really got an answer. Don't leave anything behind at this hotel or you risk never seeing it again (highly unprofessional!).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HouseFamilyTravel
CourtyardSGF, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of our Hotel. I will share your feedback with all of our Associates. I am pleased that you enjoyed our staff and the Bistro. However, I apologize your call was not returned per our service standards. Our standard is to return all calls regarding Lost and Found with in 48 hours, however generally call the same day. I can assure you that as the Hotel Manager, I have not gotten calls regarding lost items that have not been logged and/or returned to our Guests. I will be following up on your call to determine what happened. Feel free to call me directly with your information. Sincerely, Shelley Copeland, General Manager.
Rolla, Missouri
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

In Springfield for two days of meetings. The hotel is very close to the airport and has easy accesability from city streets and the highway. You are on the "outskirts" of Springfield and that appeals to me. The rooms are standard and clean. There is free wifi in the guest rooms. We are Marriott platinum members; there is a lot of property expirence with Marriott for this traveler. This is a nice professional property. The Bistro in the lobby is handy.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Charmed1994
CourtyardSGF, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Airport, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to use many of the services we provide at our hotel. Courtyard by Marriott has put a lot of research in providing services and locations that ease the Business Traveler's stay. I appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and hope that you will visit us again. Sincerely, Shelley Copeland, General Manager.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Great hotel, wonderful Staff. I was surprised by great welcome. A welcome addition to the Courtyards is the BISTRO. I have to admit, I had the Hamburger three times this week. I was great. The wonderful ladies at the hotel: Anna, Hana, Brie, Amy, Fe and Chelsey... Thank you for making me feel at home. Also a shout out to a person, who I thought was my personal CHEF... SAM! You rock! When I come back, I will be staying with you all!

Keep up the hard work and keep smiling....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank BradlyD
CourtyardSGF, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Airport, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Our Associates take great pride in providing excellent service to each Guest. I will make sure and give a round of "Red Hots" to each of the Associates you mentioned. We look forward to seeing you again.

Thank you! Sincerely, Shelley Copeland, GM
Booneville, Mississippi
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed overnight for a marathon nearby. Check-in was a breeze. The room was quiet, comfortable, and pleasant in all ways. Had no problems at all. Beautiful property and hotel. We were able to stay until noon the next day allowing a shower before hitting the road. This extra time was really appreciated. Would certainly stay here the next time I am in this area.

Room Tip: no problems
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Clifton C
CourtyardSGF, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Airport, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We had so much fun this weekend with all the Marathon participants. What an inspiration you are! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and were able to get the rest you needed for the race. Thank you for your time and comments. Sincerely, Shelley Copeland, GM
Central California
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This is my first choice hotel when flying into Springfield, Missouri, and at least my 11th stay here. I travel for mixed business and personal reasons and a big plus is that the hotel airport shuttle runs 24 hours; thus I don't worry about what time my flight actually lands. Airport shuttle service is dependable and quick. The small restaurant is perfect to grab a bite to eat for breakfast or dinner, the atmosphere is welcoming and the lounge is comfortable place to relax and chat over drinks. Beds are comfy, rooms nice sized, great housekeeping staff and friendly staff. You just can't beat this Marriott!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank TaylorRose
Wow, Thank You for your repeat business! We just started the 24 hour shuttle in the last year or so, and were hopeful that it would benefit some of our guests. We appreciate your commendable review and look forward to your next stay. I will definitely share your comments with all our staff. Sincerely, Shelley Copeland, General Manager.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed just one night passing through and it is a completely renovated Courtyard Marriott and quite nice. The differences, however, are that they no longer have a free breakfast included and it is all Bistro style. That means paying up to $8 for a breakfast sandwhich and for coffee. It may be the area but it was also a bit more expensive than other Courtyards we have stayed at, espeically if you take into account then purshasing 4 breakfasts. Also, the little marketplace does not have the single serving wine so if you would like a glass of wine late at night then you have to purchase a whole bottle (the one I looked at was over $30). This really means it is less about casual travel and more for business travel. Just a little disappointed the friendly and professional woman that checked us in late the other night did not realize that there was no handicapped access from the rear parking lot where she directed us to park nearer our room and that the other end had a ramp but it was more dangerous since it was not even close to up to code and allowwed only 2' of level area at the top to traverse with a wheelchair. Overall, though, it was very nice and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank FrequentFlyer_1987
CourtyardSGF, General Manager at Courtyard Springfield Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We are very excited about the new refreshing look of Courtyard. We are continuously making improvements and will even be showcasing some new looks this fall. You are correct the the Courtyard is designed by Business Travelers for Business Travelers. However, we have tried to accommodate our Leisure Guests by creating breakfast packages as well. I am happy you mentioned the accessibilty concerns that you have. I will make sure and have our staff re-trained that the one entrance does not have the wheelchair access. I will also be looking at the height difference that you noted in your review. We really do appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much for your review. Sincereley, Shelley Copeland, GM