“So good we tried to go back the next day.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Easy Grill

Big Easy Grill
Ranked #60 of 673 Restaurants in Springfield
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Springfield, Missouri
“So good we tried to go back the next day.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Had not been here in several years, but returned with my husband yesterday and they were as good as they used to be. This is just a little place, grill/kitchen right out in the dining room, clean & friendly.

I got the shrimp po'boy. Delicately breaded, nicely sauced, just the right amount of shrimp on a really yummy bun. Half a sandwich was plenty. He got the etouffee, half shrimp/half crawfish. This is where it gets interesting. The etouffee came with a large scoop of rice, plenty of shrimp and crawfish, and a very tasty tomato based sauce.....not what we were used to. Now, don't get me wrong, cause I am not complaining - we slurped it down just fine. He ordered it spicy and it was perfect. Would not get half & half again, the crawfish were actually perfect, the shrimp just not the right texture somehow. The sauce was delectable, but again not quite what we were used to in an etouffee. As we were leaving one of the waiters asked how we liked our meal and I told him this. He smiled and said there was another "pecan sauce" so named because of the color that is beef based instead. AHA!

Good enough that we tried to go back today, Sunday, but they were closed :(

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank PiperGirl248

Carthage, Missouri
“A little taste of NOLA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Really good food. It is crowded and seating is limited, so get there early or expect a little wait time. We really enjoyed the po-boys. Very tasty and fresh. Will return to this place.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank r1tripper
Springfield, Missouri
“Big taste in a little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Just after placing our order at the counter, the aroma of spicy cooking began to fill the room. Easy to do because the cooking area is in plain view of the diners. I enjoyed a small bowl of gumbo and the crawfish etouffee. My husband had a side salad and jambalaya. He said the jambalaya was really good. His salad was generous but didn't have the variety of greens I personally like. The gumbo had a fine flavor. From the good size (and mostly empty) jar of file powder on the counter I assume that's what he used to make it, rather than okra — especially since there were no bits of okra in the gumbo. The etouffee wasn't exactly like what I've had before, but it was good. It came with a large scoop of rice in the midst. There was a squeeze bottle of hot sauce on the table, and a shaker of red peppery substance. However, we ordered our dishes spicy and didn't feel the need to use either.
Since you get your own drinks, we had no shortage of liquid to wash all the spicy goodness down with.
The two working guys at the table next to us appeared to enjoy chowing down on their large po boys.
Probably will try one of the sandwiches next time we go back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Betty R
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Excellent food at excellent prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Great place for a little taste of Louisiana. Especially like the shrimp poboy.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Susie63_11
“Inexpensive, tasty, excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

I was in Springfield visiting friends, and I was on my own for lunch when I stumbled onto this restaurant. It's a bit of a hole-in-the-wall, but it has incredibly excellent service and solidly good food. I had the seafood gumbo, which was very tasty. (My portion was a little oily, but I sort of blotted that off and it was fantastic.). Then, on recommendation of another review, I tried the sweet potato fries: wow! Lightly sweet, lightly salty, absolutely wonderful. Get them!

Super place--I highly recommend it.

1 Thank Mlm4x