“Tastes like I am back in San Diego”
Review of Purple Burrito

Purple Burrito
Ranked #124 of 696 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My visit to Springfield was for 5 days, I ate a the Purple Burrito 3 times. Everytime a sure pleasure. Carne Asada Burrito and a Carne Asada Torta for my wife, both thumbs up. As I was enjoying the pickled carrots, something found frequently in SoCal but not so in Mo, was what prompted me to ask the owner about the pickled carrots, the reply was that her husband had worked at my favorite mexican food quick pick in Cali. I am totally stoked and look forward to coming this March.... Yummy, I will for sure break my diet for Purple Burrito

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was born and raised in California and raised my family there. Great, authentic Mexican fare is plentiful in most towns there. Mexican food comes in many different geographical variations and "California style Mexican" is only one but certainly a very significant one. From that background, moving to the midwest placed me pretty much in a Mexican food desert for several years. Fortunately, that tasty wonderful cuisine followed me here.

Purple Burrito in Springfield, Mo, (3 locations) gets very close to the wonderful and ubiquitous street corner cafes in California and northern Baja California. They sport an exciting, ample, and very reasonably priced menu of delicious specialties so common to the California market. Machaca con huevos, chiles rellenos, burritos California style, and so many more items are accompanied by a fairly complete salsa bar including pickled carrots, onions, and jalapenos. I east there as often as I am able and frequently will bring take-out home for dinner.

They work under a few market limitations because of where we are. For instance, their Carne Asada isn't really Asada, it is very tasty strip steak. They are not able to obtain real Mexican Bollios for their Tortas so are forced to serve them on mid-west hoagie rolls. Given our geographical location I am willing to accept a few small limitations. The food is wonderful. It is amply served in a unique seating area from a self serve order station, and the prices are more than fair. This is a not-to-be-missed place to eat if you are a true Mexican food fan.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have ate ate three different Purple Burritos. I always get full; the food is always good, fresh, and hot; I can get chorizo and egg burritos how I like them; and the staff is always friendly. Great deals on price for the amount of food you get, too.

Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I am from California and moved to the Springfield area 3 years ago. I have tried several Mexican restraunts and Purple Burrito is the best I have had in the area. There tacos are the best. They fry the taco shells themselves and are not the typical prefabricated fall apart cardboard tasting shells that everyone else serves. Please put a location in Ozark.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We had lunch here and the food was excellent. The portions were huge so bring your hunger and be prepared to have it satisfied.