“The seafood paella is just incredible!”
Review of Ocean Zen - MOVED

Ocean Zen
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Springfield is known for bulk and not quality for eating out and so it was a real treat to go to Ocean's Zen.

I love seafood and was told by some people at work that they had a good seafood selection. I went there with some managers from work and the setting was quite nice with a very courteous wait person. She told us of some specials including a 32 Oz Kobe steak (from a massaged cow in Japan, I assume) for $140.00. We passed on Uncle Kobe!

The other dishes were all in the $19.00 to $39 range depending on what you ordered. Not bad for good food. They also have a whole range of sushi rolls to pick from. I ordered a sushi roll and their Seafood Paella. The Paella came out in a hot clay pot and it was filled very nicely. I can honestly say that this was one of the best dishes I have had in a long time. I like my food hot and the clay pot kept it hot until the last spoon at the bottom. I could not finish it, only because I was so full. The next day I went back and ordered it again! This time I finished it.

The next time I visit Springfield, guess where I will be having dinner?

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Excellent food, excellent presentation. We've eaten at several mediocre restaurants in Springfield, searching for a good restaurant. This is one. We ate there for lunch. We had the garlic and herb crusted shrimp linguini and the asiago cheese crispy panko chicken. Both were excellent. Even the ice tea was good, freshly brewed. BTW, the outside of the building is a little grubby looking. Don't let that deter you. It is clean and nice on the inside.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

If you want fresh seafood served with style and a bit of splash, this is a place to check out. The setting is well lit, especially appreciated for us aging diners who need a bit more light to see the menu.

Menu selection extensive and Ocean Zen has an amazing bar area. At least 2 very nice aquariums to sit next to, if you need some distractions while dining.

As this was my first time there, and I wasn't in the mood for a heavy dinner, I selected their well prepared Chicken Salad dish. I was given a choice of fried or grilled chicken, and I selected the former (fried). Turned out to be a mistake. Sure the salad was carefully prepared -- the freshest chopped cabbage; lettuce; and veggies, all finely chopped and presented in a beautiful setting / dish. But I guess I expected the chicken to be shredded/chopped breast or thigh meat. What I got was a slightly higher class of 'chicken nuggets' . . . . tasty to be sure, but not what I had hoped for.

My date fared much better by selecting a seafood pasta with wonderful noodles and plenty of shrimp and scallops (although the scallops were cut up from a larger scallop). Freshest taste and an amazing sauce.

I would go back again soon, but for the fact that I am from out of state. However, I will be back to this well run, friendly restaurant whenever i am in Springfield.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Ocean Zen has a great menu with real variety. I had a Mongolian Glazed rib-eye steak on a bed of mashed potatoes with green beans and a dijon cream sauce. I loved the green beans and the dijon sauce - tangy but not so much as to take away from the flavor of the meat. I ordered a medium but got medium-rare. The steak was fine but nothing special.

My colleague had the Orange Crispy Glazed Chicken. It seemed a lot like General Tso Chicken with a sweeter sauce. She sent it back as the chicken was really dry. The waiter and the head waiter were both very good about her returning the food. She settled on the rib-eye that I did as well. She also thought the steak to be no more than average.

At the table the waiter presented some Kobi steaks and tried to sell them to us for our dinner. They are very expensive and we were not interested. He was annoyingly persistent in pushing the steaks.

Overall, not a bad meal but nothing I will return for. It is pricey for such average food.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Will I go back? Absolutely. This is my favorite lunch spot particularly for business lunches. It has a classy atmosphere and outstanding food. I would love to recommend a single dish but I always try something different and have yet to be the slightest bit disappointed. The menu is updated frequently and the daily specials are always good. The most interesting was a the special Kahuna Burger that was served on a surf board shaped cutting board to add to the experience. The burger was Kobe beef piled with the toppings of bacon, cheese, lettuce, onion straws, and then some. It was 7-8 inches tall when brought out. If you are looking for a great meal and nice atmosphere this is a place you have to try in Springfield.