“Fall from grace”

Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Families with children
“Fall from grace”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The service was prompt enough and the dishes and cutlery appeared to be clean enough. Sadly, those are the only positive things I can say about this Springfield classic which I visited tonight for the first time in a very long time. I had shrimp scampi with dinner salad and my daughter had spaghetti marinara and the deli tomato soup.

My salad was fresh and the dressing was the very vinegary type that I appreciate at an Italian restaurant, but the plate it was served on was about the size of a coffee saucer with quite a large serving of salad plopped onto it. There was really no way of eating it without making a mess, and there was certainly no way of cutting the extra-large pieces of lettuce and keep them on the "plate." My daughter's soup was apparently a can of Campbell's tomato soup with some canned chopped tomatoes thrown in and topped with Kraft dried out parmesan cheese from the shaker can.

My shrimp scampi tasted of nothing but salt and oregano, and swimming in a watery broth of....I don't know what. I literally couldn't even taste the shrimp. The menu described it as served with wild rice. In fact, it was a commercial mix of converted white rice and wild rice. It was mushy and gummy and tasteless. My daughter's spaghetti was literally too bland even for my spice-averse daughter.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank FancyDarnCrow

springfield, mo
“Better than Cheers!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Since I was in college the tomato soup, egg salad sandwich (available only on Fridays) ans spinach salad have been a weekly staple. Nancy and her staff are always friendly and welcoming. They know your name and most of the time your order - especially if you're a creature of habit. The food reminds you of home and the restaurant couldn't be more cozy and inviting.
They have daily lunch, dinner and dessert specials - so there is always something new for those of your who like to change things up.
Great place for business, catching up with friends or grabbing something to go for a "home cooked" meal in.

• Visited November 2012
Springfield, Missouri
“Why it's "Nearly" Famous”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

After third visit, I will not be rushing back. We love supporting locally owned, non-chain restaurants, and this one seems to have a loyal following. The food is not bad, but not great, either, except for the consistently good tomato soup. Today we had the special, which was a cup of soup and a toasted cheese sandwich with bacon. Not much cheese or cheese flavor. I was looking forward to a smoky, crunchy, hearty bacon, but it was limp, likely pre-cooked, and kind of fatty.The lemon bar I ordered for dessert was miniscule - not much bigger than a quarter. My companion's lemon berry mascarpone cake was very good, however, and the service was excellent and super-friendly.

• Visited July 2012
Springfield, Missouri
“The Owner was so UNPLEASANT...just like the food.”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

The WORST ever yet! We waited for over 30 minutes to get our food. I'm not usually picky but this is yet the worst food I've ever had. I ordered the Fettucini Alfredo which was $9.99 and all I got was a very bland pasta with alfredo cheese on top...even walmart's brand would taste much better. My husband's Tuna Salad was so dry he had to ask our waitress for mayo which we got charged for. We couldn't finish eating the food so we got up and paid our bill. The cashier, who happened to be the owner asked how we were. We told her we weren't satisfied with the meal with the price that their asking for. She never seemed to care and just told us in a smart-alec way, "Have a nice day". What a BAD EXPERIENCE!

• Visited May 2012
springfield, mo
“Great sandwiches and soups”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Great place for sandwich or soup combos. Gets very busy during lunch hours, especially during the week. Good coffee too!

Visited February 2012