“Smithville Lake Super 8”

Super 8 Smithville Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Smithville
Reviewed June 12, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
kamil786, Manager at Super 8 Smithville Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

In town for race weekend and had points to use and most reviews were fairly positive. Would agree with the majority of the reviews that you will get your standard super 8 product.

Room was clean. New tv. Internet worked but was a little slow. Only place in building that smelled of smoke was lobby. Room had no smells and ac worked well. Perfect for my needs.

Rooms knocking items like sheets not swapped out daily need to understand the hotel's policy and read the placards that state sheets are not changed unless you request... by placing the placard on the bed.

Will stay again next year.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
kamil786, General Manager at Super 8 Smithville Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thanks for your kind words, hope to see you again soon. Kamil

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I frequently travel to the Kansas City area on business. As part of my occupation, I travel many different places. I sought out hotels late in the afternoon in the Kansas City area, on a Friday night. The closest place on my travel route near the lake, was Smithville Super 8. I stayed in a non-smoking room. However, it smelled like smoke in the humid room. My guess is that the bedding from a smoking room was used, the smoke from the hallway seeping under the large space below the door (where the spider probably came from as well), or a combination of both. I wish I would have read the reviews on the hotel before staying there. I would have slept in my car, had I taken them into consideration. If you reside in bad conditions, this hotel will remind you of home. If you have any cleanliness about yourself, this stinky hotel is not for you. My luggage, clothes, and I smelled like smoke upon departure. The pictures posted on this website, of this particular hotel are not exactly current. I understand just as well as anyone that times are tough, and pinching pennies is not a bad thing. But one can tell that the owner/management has cut costs with almost everything in the rooms, breakfast, etc. Every aspect of the hotel is a very cheap, inferior quality product. From the carpet, to the sheets, to the walls.. Everything was thin and inferior to any other Super 8 I have used for lodging a few nights while on the road. Often, people will compare goods and services inside a hotel to previous hotels stayed, or even back home. Holding cheap cups, toilet paper (if it's even 2 ply, I'd be surprised), soap, and other basic Items that we all use everyday, makes for a disappointing experience right off the bat. Let's look into what else I didn't look for, but noticed unavoidably.
-Horrible smell in room (humid smoke smell)
-Poorly functioning and just generally a wrecked air conditioner in my opinion.
-Old, outdated TV. 20 channels. Weather channel was all I needed, and they had that.
-VERY slow internet. This is a perfect example of a cheaply run hotel, who should at least provide a way to efficiently manage work on the road.. You won't get much accomplished if you require internet access for work.
-Bathroom fan did not work. It did make a buzz sound, although I watched in amazement as the fan blades stood still.
-I had coffee in the commons area, which was luke warm.
-Encountered other guests who were also not happy with accommodations there.
-The old "scooter man" who was mentioned in a previous review by someone, was there. I could have had my luke warm coffee in peace. Ugh..
-The towels actually did their job. But smelled like the rest of the room.
-The Lake was wonderful. Upon return, "scooter man" greeted me with rudeness. Is this the greeter I wonder? Like, Walmart?
-Room was made up when I got back in. My bed was made *thank you*, but same linens.
FYI -If you forgot something along the way, nothing is provided for free. You may however buy it out of a vending machine at an inflated price. (go figure)
The "did you forget something?" card in the room states that their vending machine may contain items that are normally provided free at other establishments. The "Variety" of snacks and candies is spelled "verity" on this little laminated card that encourages you to take a trip to the vending machine. Go figure. Is it misspelled in every room? I'll always wonder.
-I asked for a fresh towel at about 5AM the next morning. Whoever answered the phone when I dialed "0", rudely stated there was no room service. I explained that I didn't need it brought, I'd just go to the desk if it was okay. I was hung up on. They should sell those in the vending machine too if it's really that big of a deal to get a fresh towel. I backpack, mountain bike, hike, and trek all over the world in my leisure and when I can afford it. So I don't expect 5 star accommodations at all. But this place was horrible. This is either a result of someone who is so greedy that they do not treat their guests at least fair for the price, or they just care way less than any other hotel I've stayed, in the past 6 years. I see management responses to other reviews. Compare the responses with reality and truth, if you ever choose this place for your accommodations. Thank you, that's all. And now, (probably) a word from management below:

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank 714jay
kamil786, Manager at Super 8 Smithville Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Sorry you encountered problems with your stay. We are in the process of updating our establishment. Just finished renovating lobby and are in the process of replacing all Televisions. Most of them are already replaced with new 40 inch LED TV. We are hoping to get them all replaced by August. "Scooter Man" is a Disabled War Veteran and I will make sure to convey your message to him so he will not interact with other hotel guests.
I hope this will not keep you from staying with us. Next time you are in town your room is on us please call the hotel and ask for me and I will make sure you are well taking care of.
Thanks
Kamil

Reviewed April 30, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 2, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
kamil786, Manager at Super 8 Smithville Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Reviewed March 19, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark S

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We found our room to be clean and in good repair, our most basic requirements for a motel. Our check-in was fast, friendly and efficient. The free breakfast was pretty sparse, but overall, our stay was comfortable and well-priced. This is a nicer Super8. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John&Mickey
kamil786, Owner at Super 8 Smithville Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thanks for staying with us and leaving such great words. This makes our day and we will keep on trying harder to make every guest stay better.

Been to Super 8 Smithville Lake? Share your experiences!