“Very Good”

Justus Drugstore A Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Smithville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We took one of our friends out for her birthday. This restaurant has always been one of my wives favorites. I also think that it is very good.They have an excellent wine list that my wife likes to explore. I tried the new crawfish dish that was a special for the night it was very tasty. My wife and our friend had the Pasta R\Pecan Watercress and thought that the pasta was fantastic. I had the Pork fritters it was very interesting there was not one flavor that was overwhelming a good balance. I next had the Baby Radish with ham the bread crumbs were a delight and served as a good contrast. Lastly they had the Duroc Pork 2 ways which they both pronounced as delicious one was able to finish the other was not. I had the chicken cured sausage which was highlight by the pepper sauce. Then I realized I had ordered to much and needed to take a box home. Wait time was 3 hours but we have come to expect that.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank nighthawk779

Overland Park, Kansas
“Worth the drive for this dinning experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have not been to Justus Drugstore Restaurant since it has opened, but my first visit remained vivid in my mind as one of the best meals I have ever tasted. So for my birthday my friends and I revisited this place. Two things you should know about JDR, 1) it is expensive (but worth it) and 2) you will be here for 2-3 hours (depending on how many courses you order) because there will be "rests" between courses. They want you to enjoy your dining experience, not trying to get you in and out. The advantage is you leave the restaurant satisfied and not over stuffed. That being said, the place is small (yes, it was a former family run drugstore). There is patio seating which I understand has a limited (different) menu than the main dining area. The patio was packed that night because the weather was mild for the summer. We ate in the main dining area. JDR has a full bar and they do offer specials which is worth trying. I did try their basil fruit "Elixir du Jour" ($9) which was refreshing. 1st & 2nd courses (salad, soup appetizers) ranged from $9-16. For my first course I had one of the specials (not on the menu) of a fish based bisque. This is the first time that I bowl set before me with bits of olive oil? garnish and then they poured the soup from a tea kettle. The cream-based broth was light, frothy and flavorful. It was a delight on the tongue. 2nd course was Spring Goat Cheese salad a combo of greens with a warm goat cheese. Main entrees or 3rd course varies in price for $16 -$45. I tried the Rare Hare Stuffed Rabbit ($39) Actually the entree came with three rabbit medallions and "stuffing" on the side. It has been ages since I had rabbit, but this tasted more like ham (this is not a complaint, I am just telling you want it tasted like to me.) The stuffing had a wonderful crunch and savory taste to compliment the rabbit. I enjoyed it tremulously. We finished our meal with dessert which average $9 unless you order the home made ice cream or sorbet which is offered at $2-3. They offered about 10 flavors. I decided on the Watercress Mint Nut because I was intrigued by it. The flavor was hard to describe because it was very subtle. Unlike other mint flavored ice cream where they hit you over the head with mint, the mint flavor here was very mild. Best description I can give is that it was refreshing and great conclusion to the end of a wonderful dining experience.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Carol D
Kansas City, Missouri
“Justus - Always a solid hit!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner Friday night with my wife and parents. My wife was running late from work and they wouldn't seat an incomplete party (my dad is almost 80 and sitting in the waiting area on a backless couch wasn't a great idea...). Ok - that was the only negative.

We used to eat at Justice regularly, but grew somewhat weary of a 2.5 - 3.0 hour dining experience from start to finish. The food at Justice is truly the star. Fresh, locally sourced when possible. The menu hasn't changed a lot over the years, which is ok because of the depth and choices. The Pork 2 ways is awesome. My wife and I shared a salad and an appetizer (fried goat cheese with a nice assortment of greens. My wife had the lamb shoulder which was sliced into perfectly cooked medallions. I would have preferred more flavor (I'm a sucker for lamb in garlic and lemon juice), but it was very good in its bare approach and flavor. I had that nights special: A fried chicken breast with mashed potatoes. It was very good. For dessert, we all shared the carrot cake fritters and French Press Coffee.

Total bill with one Cosmo, and 4 glasses of wine for the four of us: $288. Expensive? Not really - for great food. A little over $70 per person. Dinner still lasted right at 3 hours which was fine since we had a lot to catch up on.

Justice is a solid hit and worth the hassle of making reservations several weeks out (they did not return a phone call when a reservation request was left on their machine).

Visited July 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“Worth the Drive up North!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Highly recommended by friends, we chose my husbands birthday as the first dining experience at this five star gem! Oh my goodness, it was remarkable. The start contrast between "downtown" Smithville and this amazing restaurant doesn't just reveal itself in the cuisine, but the decor and ambiance is undisputedly better than anywhere we have dined in the country club plaza area for years. Clean, fresh, organic, yet high standards from top to bottom without being pretentious. We were happy we planned a couple of hours to savor all three courses. The menu is imaginative and playful, and the staff all mirror the passion that their chef obviously shares in the dishes. What an experience. Pricey, yes, and worth every penny! Indulge yourself and you won't regret it.

• Visited July 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“Superb, but not perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I enjoyed almost all the 3 1/2 hours we spent noshing and sipping at Justus. The dishes are stellar, with original/unusual ingredients (juniper essence? pea ginger cream?) blending harmoniously -- as opposed to some of the creations at Novel.

We did fall into some black hole of invisibility/a Bermuda Triangle at the end of our dinner, pre-dessert, when our punctilious water server AND our waitperson disappeared or forgot about us for 25 minutes. This made my sister quite grumpy, although the scrumptious carrot cake beignets helped to mollify her (be advised that they taste more like orange than carrot cake); she was already curmudgeoning at the paper-thin, embarrassingly small slice of trout served as her entree. While the dish was artfully presented, the trout itself was poached, had little flavor and was smaller than our appetizers -- the lovely pasta pecan watercress, the trout en brioche, the nested egg, the spring goat cheese -- all of it tasty tasty tasty! Seriously, we joked about whether her trout "filet" was 1 oz. or possibly 2. The other entrees - the rabbit, the pork and the special fried chicken - were decent-sized and delicious.

The wine list is commendable and reasonable (although not cheap; nothing on the menu at Justus is cheap), and the bread is to die for -- I ordered it for dessert; that's how good it is. As was the amuse bouche. THAT should be an entree or appetizer! Rye toast, some sausage, some more ingredients, sauce - I don't know what it was, but I want to marry it.

The dishes at Justus are complex, and my sister may not return, but my wife and nephew and I were very happy with our third visit to what I consider one of the top top top restaurants in the KC area. Go for a special good time, expect to take your time, and allow about $75 per person with drinks included. Or $100. You won't want to stint.

• Visited June 2014