“Disappointing trip down memory lane. The restaurant no longer is in the family.”

Kirby's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #8 of 50 Restaurants in Sikeston
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Kirby's has been serving burgers in Sikeston, MO since 1907. Kirby's specialty is the Kirby Burger....a double cheese burger cooked with thin sliced, grilled onions. Mmmm, Mmmm there is nothing like it anywhere. It's a must have if you're in the area. Generations have grown up on Kirby's!
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I'd eaten as a boy, well into my manhood, at Red Kirby's, as it was known to me. I can still see Red cooking hamburgers, wearing a short white cook's hat, like a baker's hat. He always seemed a bit surly to me but his hamburgers were exquisite. Every time I would get home to see family in later years, I would stop and eat, and this now being at a time when his daughter owned the restaurant after his passing. She was surlier than her dad, in my opinion, but, the hamburgers were always fantastic, the onions the crowning glory, even as when her father owned it. So, when recently returning to Sikeston, taking that trip down memory lane, it wasn't a dream come true anymore eating there, but, almost a nightmare by comparison. The quality has fallen off like a rock. The onions? Where were they? They were so few and cut so thinly as one would think someone cutting expenses, trying to be miserly would attempt. My aunt who was with me had the same experience. We were simply amazed. We'll not ever go back. But, the two other places I ate while back in Sikeston were as good as ever: Houchen's Donuts and Lambert's Home of Throwed Rolls! At least 2 of the 3 memorable places from my youth are still at 5 star quality.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Howie G

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Kirby's a Sikeston Landmark since 1907”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Kirby's Sandwich Shop - Or Red Kirby's if you have been familiar with this place for a while is a true Sikeston tradition. The little burger joint has been in business since 1907 and in the same location since at least 1970. They have the BEST hamburger I have every eaten. Get the Kirby burger with fried onions and cheese. They don't do anything fancy - but boy do they do it good. Sides are good and the atmosphere is like a trip back in time.

My grandparents were farmers living outside of Sikeston and the best treat grandkids could hope for when visiting - other than my grandmas out of this world, home made biscuits and gravy - was a trip to Red Kirby's. I remember sitting on a stool at the counter watching the cook prepare my burger and sipping on a Pepsi out of the serve yourself slide top cooler.They still feature the original counter with some old memorabilia.

The place is not big now and it has expanded from the old days. You may have to wait for a table, or you can order it to go. Parking is only on the street and when you see the outside you may think what's so great, but once you have a Kirby burger you will be back for more.

My mother still lives in a town about 60 miles away and anytime I come home to visit I try to make up an excuse to go get a burger here. I wonder will they arimail me some to Wisconsin??

• Visited November 2012