“Bait and switch”
Review of American Inn

American Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sedalia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Do NOT stay here. I called to check rate of room for my husband and was told $40, but was charged $60 per night. My husband took some shampoo off the maids cart (couldn't ask any of the help because they were busy with a police officer about a theft from one of the rooms) and when they cleaned the room the next day they took it back and told us we need to ask first. Did not get a itemized receipt, just the credit card receipt. I think they use illegal mexican workers too. Very deceptive hotel. Do NOT recommend.

Room Tip: Always get a email confirming a low rate.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MsJ772013

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I reserved a room on June 27th, 2013 for the Date of Service August 17th, 2013 at a rate of $43.00 online directly with the Hotel website.(http://american-inn-sedalia.magnusonhotels.com/) This is during the Missouri State Fair, therefore the rate was exceptionally low. I called the hotel on July 19th,2013 to verify the reservation and the rate, and was told "No need to verify if booked online. There are several rooms still available." I asked the attendant to verify for me. Reluctantly, she told me the room was reserved for me.
This afternoon, August 17th, 2013, I arrived to fill my reservation and was told I was "not on the list". I presented the attendant with a copy of my printed reservation, with handwritten notes concerning the July 17th phone call, and was told there was nothing they could do, there are no rooms available. The attendant also stated "there is no way we would rent a room that low during the State Fair.
I asked the attendant if she could help me find another room in town, she refused to give me any information.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amelia S
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Booked using Orbit and requested late arrival. Called afternoon of reservation to again remind of late arrival and they had no reservation for me, but did have a room available. Upon presenting them with the printed emails from Orbit, they did accept my already paid for reservation. TV remote did not work, toilet ran all the time, tub/shower took all night to drain and the breakfast this is advertised does not exist. Directly south is a Wendy's and directly north is a Burger King so they could at least provide breakfast vouchers for either place. The owners vehicle camps out under the drive thru canopy designed for customers to use when checking. The Handicap parking spot in front of our door was occupied by managment as wellm Bed was fine and the AC worked, but I expect more for $96.04.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank JodyFuller
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Booked room thru Mo Hotels.com, all other hotels in area were booked so decided to stay here despite the negative reviews. Only needed a bed for 2 nights while there for an event. Went to the hotel to get room and they said they did not have the reservation despite me having the printed receipt in hand, refused to help just said they did not have paperwork and did not care if I did. We called cusomer service for MO Hotels.com and they had the reservation so they called the hotel and the hotel once again refused to honor the reservation and said they did not have it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Janet D
Reviewed June 8, 2013

June 7 2013 I entered the office to check on availability of room she quoted me a double non-smokeing room for $53.00 a night.I agreed to and handed her my C.C signed the ticket and went on the next morning I happen to look at the receiptand noticed she had charged almost doubleI should have paid more attention I knowbut we had just disgusted at one transactionnow they say the rate was of $89 per night even though their website shows it clearly at $53 dollars per nightI had my daughter call the office from her phone while sitting in our room and she was also quoted the same $53 when I confronted the lady at the front she told me all sales final I should have noticed last night Crooks plain and simple that's all they are crooks

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank GaryC041971
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have stayed here with American Inn of Sedalia, the staff were very helpful and friendly.We were very pleased with room and room service. It was right on hwy 65 and hwy 50 everything is so convenient with very good location. Wifi is working very good with easy access. Overall very comfortable stay with very good location around.
we will be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Went to the office and staff was so helpful and friendly, After reading bad reviews I want to assure that I'm staying at right hotel. As per my request staff had showed me couple of rooms and didn't found any thing bad about rooms. I took one of the room for week and my entire week stay was very peaceful and very comfortable. Wifi works good, micro fridge was also there into the rooms. Beds were very comfortable.
One of the best independent hotel with all updated rooms and very friendly and helpful staff
I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedalia
Econo Lodge Truman Inn
Laci's Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Knob Noster
Best Western State Fair Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sedalia

Been to American Inn? Share your experiences!