“A charming, interesting, comfortable and well-managed historic hotel”

Hotel Bothwell, an Ascend Collection hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Sedalia
Reviewed August 1, 2010

My recent book, THE COSMETICS BARON YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF: E. VIRGIL NEAL AND TOKALON, features the Hotel Bothwell. The protagonist, Missouri native E. V. Neal, invested in its construction in 1927 and, in 1933, on a trip from his newly-acquired trophy chateau in France, stayed at the Bothwell, lecturing and visiting friends from his days as a student and professor at the Sedalia Business College.
On a fact-finding trip for the book two years ago my husband and I dined at the Ivory Grille but did not have time to stay at the hotel. On this trip to Sedalia we were able to spend the night at the Bothwell--and dine again at the Ivory Grille. Both experiences were very pleasurable.
Parking in the lot adjacent was convenient. The elegant Bothwell lobby, with its huge crystal chandelier, and the panelled ballroom on the mezzanine transported us back to the '20s and '30s. The young woman who checked us in was friendly, courteous and professional. Our kingsized room had a full and a half bath (with their original 1920s tile floors and basins), armoire, sofa and coffee table, and free internet connection. The room was large and attractively appointed; the bed linens were exquisite. The bed was very comfotable. Although the temperature outdoors was very hot our room was delightfully cool and very quiet. The towels were thick; the soaps and shampoo of high quality. The cost, about $100, was very reasonable compared to Chicago, where we had spent the last two weeks.
The Ivory Grille, in the hotel basement, is a separate entity. The chef, whom we remembered, is marvelous. Our dinner of rustic salad, hot rolls and honey butter, and sauerbraten was delectable. The wine was excellent. The portions were so large that we could not touch the dessert which came with the meal.
Business kept us from the free breakfast before we set off to the library the next morning so I cannot comment on that.
The General Manager, Marilyn Huntsman, whom we met the next day in the midst of her preparations for the coming State Fair, was welcoming and even chatted with us briefly about the hotel and its history. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Bothwell and recommend it to those traveling to Sedalia for business or pleasure.
Mary Schaeffer Conroy, Emeritus Professor, History, University of Colorado at Denver

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Bothwell, an Ascend Collection hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2010

I decided to give this historic hotel a try after reading mixed reviews. The room was small but that wasn't the issue, it was grungy. I've never stayed in a place before where I was afraid to take off my shoes! Luckly, I was there only 1 night. While I will be making regular trips to Sedalia I will not be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank WGHS77
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This fine old hotel was a really pleasant and inexpensive place to spend a night. The room was comfortable, the internet was free, and the hotel is centrally located within walking distance of restaurants, bars, stores, and an Amtrak station. We arrived on bicycles, which they secured for us in their basement and had waiting for us in the lobby the next morning. Would return here without any hesitation at all.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Bothwell for two nights and enjoyed out stay! It doesn't look like much from the outside, but you'll be surprised when you walk into the lobby. What a beautiful place! Our room was quite small (larger ones are available), but it was very comfortable and clean. The young lady at the front desk when we checked in was very friendly and also quite helpful when I ask about an item in their gift shop. (which I bought!) Not sure how many folks were staying there, but it was very quiet the entire time we were there. Breakfast was free and the scrambled eggs and sausage were very good. If I HAD to find a complaint it would be the parking situation. It was free, but the lot was small and spaces were tight! It was also quite bumpy, which made dragging the luggage cart a challenge. That said however, I'd stay there again any time!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2009

If you're within 30 miles of Sedalia, or passing through the Kansas City area, stay at this hotel! Wonderful, nostalgic feel you can only get with a boutique. This was my second stay at the hotel in a year and a half. The General Manager, Liz is an absolute "gem". She remembered me (even after a year and a half, and asked about my daughter by name). The rooms are clean, and staff friendly. The restaurant was great, and I when I travel, I never eat at the hotel, I prefer to go out on the town, but with Bothwell, they are "out on the town". Overall, just a very unique, friendly place which is welcomed when you travel 100 nighrts/year.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed here during a school conference. We had one room on the 7th floor, one on the 6th, and one on the 5th. They were booked full but it was quiet and we hardly saw anyone else. The breakfast isn't wonderful but there are waffles. The decor is beautiful and unique. There is a small fitness center and gift shop. There in only one elevator but we never had to wait or share it with anyone else. All our rooms had two double beds. They were very comfordable with nice pillows. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. Two of our rooms had two bathrooms which I loved. There was one with a shower/tub and one with just a shower. The other room had just one bathroom and one large closet with a counter. They were clean and had nutregena travel size soaps and such. There were storms and the front desk was very courteos in telling us what to do if there was a tornado warning. We had fun just looking at the hotel. I loved the two bathrooms.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and liked several things about it, starting with the good rate I negotiated over the phone. The Bothwell was built in 1927 and is a neat old building with lots of history--the basement bar used to be a speakeasy, and when Harry Truman was tapped to run for the Senate he was called to the Bothwell to be informed. Also, they give you discount coupons for the bar and restaurant, which are welcome as the bar is nice and the restaurant very good for a rural area. Furthermore, I appreciated the chocolates left in my room. There are, however, some problems. The plumbing is bad, so it takes a long time to get the shower temperature adjusted correctly. While that may be explained by the building's age, the extremely loud heating system is definitely newer and has no excuse. The heater was so loud that I eventually turned it off, even though it was very cold outside. Also, the hotel's service is lacking in some ways. My room was not cleaned until well after 4:30 PM, which they said was due to them being shortstaffed. Their complimentary breakfast is extremely limited, especially if you don't like biscuits and gravy, and the biscuits were cold and individually wrapped in plastic in any case. When I wanted to check out, there was no clerk to be found, only a sign thanking me for my patience and mentioning a specific extension to call for immediate service. I called the extension, but after numerous rings I was transferred to a voicemail box, which was full! A few minutes later, the clerk walked off the elevator, apologizing off-handedly and saying that her phone didn't work on the top floor. If I had been in a hurry, this would have been extremely annoying. All in all, the restaurant is definitely worth visiting while you're in Sedalia, but I'm not sure I'll stay at the Bothwell again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sonofposeidon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedalia
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sedalia
Laci's Country Inn
Laci's Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Knob Noster
Americas Best Value Inn- Knob Noster

Been to Hotel Bothwell, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!