“Not at all good for extEnded stay”

Hotel Bothwell, an Ascend Collection hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Sedalia
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I reserved the hotel through my compnay for a week. They dont have basic amenities like refrigerator, microwave, iron.if you are staying here for long than you need those. During the check in they made me wait for 20 mins, because the receptionist was busy discussing on phone why he didnt go to army. Room was nice and had a historic feeling but shower sucks. They had 2bathrooms with 2 batg tubs in my room which was small. I checked out after few hours and went to anoyher place.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Munafs

Reviewed June 16, 2011

I love this hotel and I love the Ascend Collection. Clean, reasonably priced, quiet. Great bed. Most of all it has a personality and they are proud of their history. The young lady who checked us in was great (even found me some batteries for my camera because the gift shop was out). Sorry I didn't get her name but it was the evening shift. The bartended in the lounge was great too. Couteous and friendly. The continental is the usual cereal/muffin/toast but it's free so it's fine. Only downside is that the (free) parking lot is not lighted at night. We hope to go back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Hotel Bothwell has been beautifully restored and provided a wonderful place to stay during our bicycling excursion along the Katy Trail. Its restaurant was also very good. I would definitely stay here again, but be aware that there is not much else along in the historic part of Sedalia. While the city architecture is beautiful, most of the storefronts are vacant. Also, while the hotel has coin laundry facilities, they have no detergent and were unable to supply us any.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my family for a show at the Liberty Center. It's just a block away from the Liberty Center and Fox Theatre. We walked to the Katy Depot, which was about 6 blocks.

We had a few problems while we were there, but nothing that would make me not come back. Electricity went out one morning about 830 and messed up the elevator, which was not fixed until late afternoon. They have a service elevator that could be used if operated by hotel staff, so if you couldn't take the stairs, they would take you up. We took the stairs! At 1:45am we headed to our rooms on the 6th floor and our card keys would not work. Took the elevator to the front desk, got new keys, tried those keys(didn't work), went back down and the guy came back up with us with new cards and they still didn't work. He had to get a master(looked like a giant remote control, with a cord) to open both doors. Very nice about it and apologized. Still not sure what happened!! Maybe ghosts!!!

We had five rooms occupied and they all seemed to be a little different. Some were bigger than others. Mine was small, but enough room for two people. Bathroom was on the smaller side and dated, but historic. Had a hard time with the showerhead at first. It was just spitting, so I turned it off and back on twice before it had more pressure.

Everything was clean and our rooms were cleaned and made up while we were out. No problems with the staff, helped when we needed them.

The walls are very thin, but I never had trouble sleeping from noise. There are some noises during the night from the air conditioner and just an old building, so if it has to be super quiet while you sleep, stay home, cause all hotels are never that quiet!

The lady at the Ivory Grille lounge was very nice. My parents ate dinner at the Ivory Grille and said it was very good. We also ate breakfast at a place called Paula Jean's which was at Ohio and 16th. Bothwell is at Ohio and 4th. It was really good. There are two cafe's there, we ate at both, but I would suggest Paula Jean's. The other cafe was hot inside and you could smoke inside. The food was good at both though! Continental breakfast at the hotel wasn't great unless you like waffles, cereal and toast or bagels(w/o cream cheese). They ran out of reg coffee too. They didn't have much.

Haunted Hotel Bothwell: We heard it was haunted and how can it not be! Nobody in our group encountered ghosts, but I had a weird thing happen to me while in the shower. The water was very hot, so it shouldn't have been cold at all in the shower, but I had a spot on me that got very cold while standing under the shower. I took a few steps, turned around and the cold went away. That's the only thing that I encountered.

The area around the hotel is very nice, good place to get out and walk around!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lisca16
Reviewed February 3, 2011

This hotel dates back to the 1920's with much history framed and on the walls throughout the hotel. We chose this hotel over the usual and customary chain hotels as they have a fitness room free to their guests. During our 3 nights no one ever entered our room to make up the bed, take away the dirty towels, or refresh our room until we complained on the last night and they could not apologize enough. A 9 inch snow fall kept the help from being there, however, someone could have checked on their guests. The dining room is fabulous, great food, and they did give us one night free for our troubles. We probably will not stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank belstrlvr
Reviewed September 21, 2010

They have nice rooms comfortable beds, terrible service, terrible breakfast, and to top it all off stayed two nights could not use shower it would not drain you have to stand in muck up past your ankles, complained to the manager when first arrived and numerous times aftwards until check out, she did nothing, until I complained at the front desk in front of some other peopel checking in she credited my bill $40.00 on my $300 plus bill. I would have moved to another hotel but all hotels in the area were booked. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the next time I visited Sedalia, no problems there and 1/2 the price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank JillSte_Genevieve
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here on our katy trail ride, nice old hotel. Paint is a little worn around the edges and the rooms were smaller than modern hotel rooms. Overall a pleasant stay and breakfast was nice. They had provisions for peanut butter waffles which are perfect for a long day on the bikes. Staff offered to keep the bikes in the basement.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedalia
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sedalia
Laci's Country Inn
Laci's Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Knob Noster
Americas Best Value Inn- Knob Noster

Been to Hotel Bothwell, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!