“Great trout fishing”
Review of Montauk State Park

Montauk State Park
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: Wet a line at one of the Midwest’s premier trout-fishing destinations at Montauk State Park. Located an easy ride from St. Louis, the park’s waters are stocked each night from an on-site hatchery. Want more than day of fishing? Stay overnight at the park’s motel, campground or cabins. Want to do something other than fish? Montauk State Park’s hiking trails will take you in and around the scenic Pigeon Creek basin.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I had a great time fishing for trout at Montauk. It is another of the many natural gems and a highlight in a 3 day trip where we enjoyed rivers, springs, shut-ins, small mountains, waterfalls and huge areas of national forest.

The only cost was a daily fishing license with trout tag. We caught 7 Rainbow trout in about 2 hours. Taught a 1st timer how to catch trout and she is hooked on it. The lodge fishing supply store provided great assistance in understanding what bait was meeting with success.

1  Thank John S
There are newer reviews for Montauk State Park

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I remember coming here when I was a child. Every other weekend, every Easter, it was spent here. I returned here for the first time in 20 years and have been back 10-15 times in the last year! It is exactly as I remember it as a kid! Nothing has changed really except the lodge food not being good at all, but that's ok, we rather cook our own food....and the fact that the staff in the lodge shop and unhelpful and unfriendly. Besides for those 2 things, we would be here every single weekend if we could!!

1  Thank VetTech1979
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wonderful scenery and great accomadations. Almost always cool near the river and the camping area is always clean and orderly. The river is usually clean and refreshing to just stand and watch.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We took our toddler camping for the first time and I was so impressed how clean the place was. The people are super nice & the value was excellent! There's a small restaurant with great food &thy have cheap ice cream for the kiddos! Fishing was fun and right there by our camp. Will go again!

1  Thank Mandeenben5203
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were so looking forward to four nights of camping at this state park. Literally, it took our breath away.
The campground staff was GREAT. They were well-connected via mobile devices. The camp hostess was welcoming & took time to chat with us upon our arrival. It was quiet & peaceful with the mature trees, birds singing, & the creek nearby. Though we did not have electricity or water at our site we did have a tall wood post with a hook for fishing waders (we used it for our lantern), and a sturdy wood & metal picnic table that was chained to the concrete slab it sat upon. I believe it is to hold it down when the river floods; not because of possible theft.
After setting up & adjusting our larger tent & kitchen fly to a smaller site, we took a walk around the campground. It was obvious that people were comfortable, & it was delightful to see youth enjoying their fishing experience. We returned to our campsite to prepare & eat dinner. All was well.
After dinner, we lit a campfire with wood my husband had purchased onsite. It was traditional at each campsite. But it wasn't that lovely woodsmoke smell; it was quite rank. I wish I knew what kind of wood was sold because I would encourage them to get a different supply. It literally took our breath away & clung to every part of our body and fabric. We kept our fire small, but one group had a HUGE one that the fellow kept throwing something on to make it bigger & had a green hue. Very strange, as well as dangerous.
We decided to go to bed expecting the usual muffled chatting & children's voices normal at nighttime. What we heard from our neighbor was disquieting. The dad had no control over his mouth. He was loud, crude, & uncouth. Every other word was four letters. He berated his children & was generally obnoxious. We tried to ignore his behavior & wait him out. Finally, the group went into their tent. However, early, early in the dark of night, his loud mouth was teaching his son how to pee in the bushes, but not hit the tent. The modern restrooms were a very brief distance away. It made my stomach turn, & it was still difficult to breath from the fires that were now smudge pots. And it stunk. We did not get much sleep.
In the morning, it didn't take us long to cut our losses & leave. As we were packing up, the hostess came by & asked us why we were going. Since she asked, we let her know about our experience...the smoke, awful person in the next campsite, & the dirty restrooms. She was so apologetic. Also, she said if any camper was behaving improperly, the host/ess needs to be informed immediately, & a camp ranger would be sent around to handle it. We had had enough & were ready to go. The park was understanding & did fully refund for the other three nights.
I am sure this is a magical place for most visitors. Sadly, it just wasn't for us.