“Best state park camping”
Review of Hawn State Park

Hawn State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawn State Park is one of the loveliest parks in a system full of lovely parks. Clear, sand-bottomed streams, wild areas ripe with orchids and awe-inspiring views combine to make Hawn a place that Missourians treasure. Geology buffs love Pickle Creek for the number of exposed rock types. Hikers frequent the Whispering Pine Wild Area for its quiet trails with expansive views. Bird watchers flock to the park for its variety of birds. And there are plenty of quiet spaces for people to get away and enjoy the outdoors.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have camped at several state parks in Missouri but this has become our new favorite. Let me first say that the host that run this part are the most kind, helpful people we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They were able to answer all our questions . They told us how to get to all attractions in the area with printed color coded maps including the local wineries, hiking trails and creeks to swim in on the hottest day of the year. The camp was very clean, great showers and bathrooms. They even drive around and ask if you need ice or wood. It is a great family campground .

2  Thank momof3gs

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We enjoyed a hike along the stream and seeing the fall colors. It's a little bit of nature and a lot of fun.

1  Thank 2ndmomma
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We enjoyed our weekend camping at Hawn SP. Our two year old had fun playing in Pickle Creek and we met lots of other kids and families. The campground was full so make reservations before you come! Please note the electric hook up sites may be difficult to back a camper in to.

1  Thank LCB72
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hawn State Park is a beautiful park. This should be the perfect camping/hiking spot. And it would be if it weren't for all the ticks. Camped here for 2 nights in early April...still very cool out (it got down into the 30's both nights) so ticks shouldn't be a problem, right? Wrong.

The campground is shady and inviting. Large, level cement parking pad to park your car. Bathrooms are very clean. Showers are unisex...large individual shower rooms with good hot water. Pickle Creek is beautiful. Whispering Pines trail is well-marked. A nice, moderate hike with plenty of gorgeous views.

Ice ($2) and firewood ($4) are available for purchase during certain times.

This would be my new favorite spot to go in MO except the ticks ruined it all. A week later and I'm still checking myself and my dog for them. I found them crawling on me, on my clothes, in my socks, on the dog. Everywhere. Deet did nothing to keep them off. Consider yourself warned!

4  Thank BudFan_11
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We hiked the 6 mile north loop of the Whispering Pines trail and had an excellent time. It was great weather (mid-70's in April.) I would not want to hike this in the warmer months. The trail was fairly rugged and I recommend hiking boots. There are several places where the trail crosses water and there are only stones to step on. I am not in tip top shape but my husband and I were able to hike the trail in 4.5 hours. The part of the trail that follows the creek is especially neat and hiking through the pine trees is fantastic.

2  Thank Jake465