“One of the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Geneseo, Illinois
“One of the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed for 4 nights last summer after a friend recommended it. We cannot say enough amazing things about this hotel. We received superb treatment from beginning to end. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The nightly reception had such great appetizers that we fed our kids, then only paid for dinner for 2 of us each evening when we went out! They have free popcorn and pop in the lobby as well, which is perfect when you are ready to relax in your room and watch a movie. The morning breakfast has a ton of choices, and is very well organized. The fitness center was well equipped and not overly busy. The smell of chlorine is pretty strong in the pool area, so I would suggest bringing goggles for the kids. Occasionally some homeless people will try to come in during the breakfast or nightly reception time to get something to eat, but the security guards take care of it tactfully and discretely. The location of this hotel is great and I would highly recommend staying here. It was a perfect mix of economical and luxurious travel!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
somewhere
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was within walking distance to some restaurants and St. Louis attractions (Arch, Courthouse, Busch Stadium, City Museum). Yes we walked to the city museum. I'm not sure I'd recommend that with small kids, but we did it. We also selected it because parking was included, it had a free breakfast and evening reception, pool, and the price was right.

The location and parking worked out well. We felt it was safe. The garage had a door that you accessed with your room key. The walk to Laclede's landing and arch were nice.

The room wasn't overly spacious. I wouldn't say it was terribly small, except the bathroom area seemed to get a bit congested for us. It seemed clean. I didn't notice any mildew or the like. I did notice a couple of hairs I knew didn't belong to us, but that didn't wreck it for me. THe room was a little noisy from the street below, but we managed to drown out the noise by running the AC fan all night.

The breakfast was pretty standard. There were hot items: eggs, sausage, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, waffles. Then the usual yogurt, cereal, bagels, muffins etc. The evening reception varied a bit. One day it was pasta and meatballs, another it was chicken strips and mac n cheese. I think hot dogs were there each night. Nachos and cheese, and celery and carrots were there too. The food is about what you'd expect. It certainly wasn't gourmet, but would fill you. I can see why some folks look at this as dinner. It's about the same as your kids would get from the kids menu at most of the restaurants. I will give it to them, they were honest about what they were serving (ie; Pillsbury biscuits, Tyson chicken strips.) I appreciated that.

The price was decent, although when I got the bill, it seemed to be a different price than I thought. Don't get me wrong, the actual charge was the same as the e-mail confirmation I was originally sent, so no funny business. But since there are so many extra fees with hotels and was only given the total on the e-mail confirmation, I didn't give much thought to the nightly rate. But somewhere I misunderstood what the nightly fee was. Had I been more careful, I think I might have been able to get a cheaper rate somewhere else. If so, then the free parking and food can all wash out as pluses.

Finally...the pool. This was actually the biggest disappointment. If you are really wanting a pool, this one will likely fall short. It was too small. The kids managed to make it work, but at times it was crowded. Under normal circumstances, we would have gone in with our kids, but didn't because there were so many kids in the pool. The hot tub was OK, except it was so close to the pool, we kept getting splashed by the kids jumping in the pool. The pool also wasn't in its own separate room, which is often helpful in keeping the pool area warm. Instead the pool was on the other side of a partition from the breakfast, evening reception area. That might be good in some ways because you can grab your food and drinks and eat by the pool. For me I didn't like it because the whole space was air conditioned way too cold for me. Not good for the pool area. I wasn't the only one who felt that way either.

The bottom line for me is this. The free food was convenient. The staff was very friendly. The decor was fine. Therefore I gave it a passing rating. I don't think staying here will have a negative impact on your trip. However, if we go back to St. Louis, I will try a new hotel. I think we can find one that will be the same price or cheaper, with a nicer pool. I would probably also recommend to friends and family to try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Depending on whether you want to stay near the breakfast/ pool area, there are rooms that surround t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Convention Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience as our guest. I am sorry that your stay did not fully live up to your expectations. We pride ourselves on delivering a quality product with personalized service at an exceptional value. We have a historic building, and therefore some of our spaces are unique as compared to other Drury locations. I hope the next time you are in St. Louis, you will give us another opportunity to serve you. We strive to keep our rates competitive in the market, while also offering extras that aren't extra.

Warmest Regards,
Autumn Simerson
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Staff friendly and accommodating.
Rooms spacious and clean.
Good food.
Convenient location.
We were in St Louis for our son's wedding. Block of 22 rooms. Early check-in, late check-out.
Restaurant suggestions.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shakopee, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Recently spent two nights in the Drury Inn in Downtown St. Louis. The location is within walking distance to the Arch and all of the other downtown sites. The hotel staff was very helpful and accommodating. The rooms are clean, although the room I had was on the interior of the building with no window, which was kind of strange. The elevators are incredibly slow; you are better off taking the stairs to get to and from the parking ramp. I was there over the weekend for business; the place was crawling with kids so it was rather noisy at times, but quieted down considerably Sunday evening. With the free parking, basic breakfast food options and happy hour, it's hard to beat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in the single room with one king bed. The room was much smaller than the picture led on. The bathroom was also pretty small. The bathtub unfortunately did not drain very well. I also thought that they perhaps rushed our room cleaning, since one wasn't ready when we arrived. The breakfast was exactly what I expected from the description, but the coffee was way watered down. We did not eat at the 5:30 kickback, but the wine was nice (3 alcoholic beverages per person, of age, per night). The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The parking garage was a pain, but our vehicle was secure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy G
Dubuque Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel! Comfortable beds, close proximity to everything including walking distance to the arch and restaurants. My kids loved all of the snacks and food provided. Front desk people were awesome. The garage parking is safe and so easy! The pool is small, and gets crowded at night. We had a great time here and would totally stay again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Anamosa, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

You won't be disappointed staying here. It has everything they advertise and it is withing walking distance to the arch/downtown.

The facility is clean, staff is friendly, pool area (small) is clean, breakfast was good and free (who can complain about that?) -- all-in-all a great stay.

You can park in front of the hotel (on the street) and check in. Then the parking ramp is about 35 feet up the street (on the same side of the hotel). It is secure, you need a key to enter. You can then enter the hotel from the parking ramp. Couldn't be easier!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family