“Pick something else” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #75 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Phoenix, AZ
“Pick something else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

It's not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in (actually the third worst), but that is almost the nicest thing I can say about this property. It is conveniently located off the freeway, but the immediate surrounding area does not seem to have much to offer except fast food outlets and a discount cigarette store.

Some of the guest rooms had recently (maybe in the past year or so) had a few updates, such as new beds and prints. However, our room had not been well cleaned in a very long time (dusty and generally grimy). The bathroom was pretty nasty, complete with mold in the bathtub, and uncleaned toilet, and unrepaired water damage on the walls. One of the sinks dripped constantly and the toilet never stopped running. The lobby and halls were hot and damp and most of the hotel smelled like there had been a leak.

There are two front desk staff who are competent and professional and probably belong at a better property. The rest of the staff seem harried and overwhelmed by the tasks at hand (perhaps they are under staffed). One of them actually vacuumed around us in the lounge because we had not finished our drinks by the 11:00 closing time.

We had a “special” rate of $109 ($126 with taxes), but a quick search of Trip Advisor shows much better hotels for the same or less. Spend your money wisely and select something else.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank R0adReady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Baton Rouge, LA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

From the moment I drove into the parking lot, I was disappointed in my choice to stay at this hotel. The business establishment directly in front of the hotel was "Really Cheap Cigarettes" and was unsavory looking to say the least. There was a security guard in the parking lot and when I asked about his patrol times, I was quickly told that they were not responsible for any vehicle problems so I should take whatever precautions I felt necessary. This information just rolled off the clerk's tongue so quickly, it was easy to tell that it had been said many many times. The hotel is in desperate need of updating...everything in the common areas of the hotel is early 70's, the lighting in the hallways is creepy (sort of dim yellowish green). Everything did look clean though with the exception of old food service dishes left on window sills near the elevator and in the hallways. By far, my biggest issue with the hotel was the staff. With the one exception of the African American lady who helped us Sunday morning at checkout, the entire staff was rude and abrupt. The entire facility is understaffed...the security guard delivered towels, another front desk clerk was greeting in the restaurant, etc. The "not free" buffet that is advertised so thoroughly disappeared on our third day there which was odd to begin with...no hot items...although the restaurant had a full menu of hot items. The food was good but the service was deplorable. There was only one person waiting tables who was tremendously stressed and I believe she knew she was delivering poor service and wasn't all that worried about it. An example...my 11 year old asked if she had a straw and her response was "no, I do not." I was rudely scolded when I asked the front desk about linens for the sofa bed and was told that I should have checked the bed before I asked them because they would have to track down the person looking for them. When I apologized, I was told "well, that's ok but I will have to find him before he wastes very much time looking for them." For this price, I expected WAY more than they are able to deliver. The lawn chairs "smoking section" right by the front door was awful and tacky.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mathps

Travelers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

st.louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

This review does not pertain to the hotel staff, they were all nice. When you first pull up the the hotel it is less than appealing. When we went to our rooms our internet did not work and the bathroom was DIRTY. Then we went to order food and the poor "bartender/server" was the only one working and there were two-4 top tables and a couple 2-top tables. Then when we ordered it for the room there was no room service, it was given to us on trays that you find in a cafe court and it was the worst "hotel food" I have ever eaten. The mushrooms on my salad were rotten and I think they forgot to add water to there condensed soup. Then during the night I got bit about 10 times by some sort of bed bug I'm assuming and the next morning my son had broke out with something. I had planned on staying two nights and the first night we canceled the next night and luckily my boyfriend used his internet from his phone service and found another hotel. The DRURY INN across the street, it's great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank warhol13
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

Lawanda was amazing. She was friendly at check in and totally available to help me with a last minute work emergency. I would stay there again.

The hotel had all the amenities, but it isn't new.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

This place is close to everything, zoo, historic sites, gambling boats, arch and the resturants on The Hill where you can find some of the best Italian foor in the U.S. We had dinner at the hotel our 1st night and the chef cooked me a special meal (I have a special diet) and he even came out to see if it was ok, it was more thatn ok! The otel staff helped with a number of things, they printed off directions for me (mapquest) and told me about this amazing place in Forest Park called the Boat House, this resturant was on a large man made lake in the middle of the city. The rooms looked just like in the pictures. The bed was fine and l like that i had pillow options, I like firm. The hotel dose need some updates and i was told that was planed to start in late 2010. If you are a lite slepper you might want to bring ear pluggs or ask for a room on non highway side - they cost a little more but are larger and do not have the highway noise. Read on here where people did not feel safe and had fear of other stuff like plugins and microwaves falling - come on!! I mean you can run into that stuff anywhere and if you want perfect then go stay at the Ritz or some place that charges $200 or more. I felt more than safe, they have a guard from 10pm to 6am (as any large hotel in a large city should have) and the parking lot had plenty of light and it was free to park where as a lot of the dowtown hotels charge to aprk. Would of been nice if they would of had on site laundry - there was a place just 2 block up where you can do it yourself or drop it off, we dropped it off. The hotel dose have a laundry service that is sent out. A micro/fridge dose not come in every room (hope they put them in when the update) but we asked and they were able to get us one. Breakfast dose not come with room but for a small upgrade fee we got a $20 coupon to use in the resturant for breakfast. The pool is out door so we did not get to use it but it looked nice. Over all this place was perfect and the staff was better than when I have stayed at many other places that cost a lot more. Give it a try if you want a nice safe place where they care about you.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
memphis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

I'm sitting in this hotel writing this. Wallpaper peeling a little off the wall? Big whoop. Noisy AC? Yeah, old unit blowing FRESH AIR from the outside rather than nasty central air vents. Slept like a dead man last night. Not one employee hasn't spoken and been more than pleasant. About a mile from the best Italian restaurants in America. I don't get the bad reviews. Stayed in lots worse for a lot more money. Stay here again in a seond.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

I had booked a stay at this Holiday Inn because I had points for a free night and we were down to St. Louis to visit friends and shop on The Hill. For this visit we decided to stay a little closer to the city and The Hill than we usually do. I had mixed feelings about the hotel as there were two sets of pictures on the web and I wasn't sure which pictures were the newest, updated ones. So I did have some misgivings from the start .
Unfortunately my gut instinct proved to be right. Upon arriving at the hotel, we observed several people sitting around outside the entrance to the lobby/check in area in lawn chairs, right in front of the doors so one would have to weave through the folks to get into the hotel. There were also several, shall we say unsavory, looking people milling about at the sides of the hotel and around the little convenience store next to the hotel parking lot. I did not have a good feeling about this place, so before we even checked in, I called another hotel and secured a room elsewhere.
I cannot comment on the interior of the Holiday Inn as we never went in. The fact that the hotel allowed people to "hang out" like that did not make me feel safe or comfortable.
I have stayed at Holiday Inn, Staybridge Suites and Holiday Inn Express quite often and have never encountered anything like this before. Most have been lovely hotels and I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at any of them. I was very disappointed, as this hotel is so near The Hill and also Forest Park. One problem visitors should be aware of is the fact that the traffic is terrible and getting in and out of the hotel is a bit tricky as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple