“Nearly Perfect”

Courtyard St Louis Downtown West
Ranked #50 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is the type of review that's a pleasure to write. It's not often that a hotel accomplishes everything that I expected. In all honesty, I'm hard-pressed to think of a single criticism.

I selected this hotel because it was the cheapest option within walking distance to Scottrade Center (roughly 15-20 minutes away by foot). For under $100 a night, I wasn't expecting much. Pulling up to the property, I was surprised to find that the hotel is set up much like a suburban property with a regular parking lot (versus a garage). Parking was free, and the hotel itself is only 4 floors tall. It honestly looks rather out of place. With this setup, you essentially get all of the benefits of a suburban property with the convenience of being in the city. It's worth mentioning that the majority of destinations in downtown are well outside of walking distance. The only option you'd have, short of driving or taking a cab, would be to walk roughly 10 minutes down the street to the Metrolink light rail station. Doable, but not super-convenient. However, if the rates are reasonable, it may well be worth it. This hotel is really best suited to someone who wants to stay in the city and also needs their car.

The service was absolutely outstanding. It started with the front desk staff, who welcomed and joked around with us as soon as we came in the door. As we walked to the room, a janitor who happened to be in the hallway looked over and smiled at us and took the time to welcome us to St. Louis. Later on, another staff member joked around with me as I was getting ice. Little things like this make a huge difference. While we only stayed 1 night, every person we encountered was an absolute pleasure.

We found the room to be well appointed and clean with a comfortable bed. Pretty much a standard hotel room, but better than I expected it to be given the price.

Overall, I was surprised, maybe shocked, to see a middle-of-the-road hotel go so far out of its way to make our stay enjoyable. I wasn't expecting anything special, but now have a hotel that I'd recommend to anyone staying in the area. Props to the management for keeping everyone so motivated and insuring that our stay was fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Missouri2Mexico
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for the flattering review of our hotel. We take pride in giving excellent service as we know guests have many options to choose from and we are glad that you found us. It is true that we are one of only a couple downtown properties that offer free parking and wi-fi. We hope to see you in your future travels to St. Louis.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This Courtyard by Marriott is absolutely great in every aspect!!! The check in process was very courteous and professional. The room was emaculately clean. I stay in many hotels throughout the course of a year and must admit this is one of the best hotels I've been to. Friendly staff, clean rooms and a General Manager that meet and greet his guests. You gotta love it. If you are ever in the St Louis area give this place a try, I know I will. For the reasons listed above i will give the Courtyard by Marriott, two thumbs and two big toes up!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the building were quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank William S

Thank you for the kind review, it was a pleasure meeting you and we look forward to your next visit. I will share your comments with our staff.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I arrived to find a problem with my reservation, not their problem, but the guy at the front desk was able to correct the issue quickly and professionally. The room was great. I really liked to layout of the room. The bed was awesome, very comfortable and warm. The room did not have fridge. I like to location of this hotel, not downtown but very close, right off of I-64

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank John N
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback. I will pass on your kind remarks to our staff. Our hotel has refrigerators in about half of the rooms and hope to have the entire hotel furnished with them by the end of the year. We also have a dozen or so on hand for requests in rooms that don't have one.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is a great place to stay in St. Louis. Not really walking distance to the arch but instead you get a great view of sunrises, the Arch, and city lights. I would rather stay here than right downtown. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review, I will pass on to our staff and we look forward to a future visit

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here in October while running the Rock n' Roll St. Louis Half Marathon. This hotel was located extremely close to the race start, near a highway and had internet, all things that were important to me. The hotel staff was extremely helpful even though it was quite the chaotic weekend for them (the race, world series and a monday home football game were occurring concurrently). Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure to pass on your comments to our staff. That was a wild weekend and hopefully the same will be happening next year, Go Cards. I was glad to see our staff reacted well to make your stay a pleasant one.

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

The dreary exterior didn't seem too promising but we were pleasantly surprised once we walked in. The lobby is refreshing and modern with a convenience store to buy snacks. Rooms were adequate and computers/printers were available to print boarding passes. All of this plus free parking gives this place great value. I like!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for the kind words regarding our lobby. We share a parking lot with another business and therefore it can look like a business park but everything inside the building is less than 18 months old. Courtyard continues to look for ways to keep the brand fresh and appealing.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

As soon as we arrived we were greeted with a smile. I actually lost my credit card and was freaking out because we needed it to stay. Chris was so nice and finally after 15 minutes we found it! But he was very nice and calming.
When we got to our room, it was clean but had a meldew odor. Maybe it was because it was the top floor. I'm allergic to mold very bad. I called down at front desk and again Chris was very kind and understanding. We switched rooms and it was great!! The view of the arch too.
The location was perfect since we were visiting SLU.i used the workout facility and it was good, small but clean. We didn't eat there but we had a few drinks.
All in all if it was not for Chris / being understanding of room/credit card sitituation, our stay would not have been as good. Thank you Chris!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Thank you for the complimentary review. I will make sure to pass this on to Chris and show him what an impact he had on your stay. We look forward to your future visits to SLU.