“The Most Amazing Hotel and Staff Anywhere!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard St Louis Downtown West

Courtyard St Louis Downtown West
Ranked #58 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Little Rock, Arkansas
“The Most Amazing Hotel and Staff Anywhere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice and will always stay here when in St. Louis. I called to make reservations and was treated from the beginning like family. We got to St. Louis and I somehow got lost. I called the hotel and Marvin answered and stayed on the phone with me until we arrived. He took the time to tell me exactly how to get there. Mattie was so wonderful. Gerald was always there to help if we needed anything. The General Manager, Ron, was very kind and helpful. On the second trip, Candace was my guide when our GPS went out. The rooms were so beautiful, clean, and comfortable. The food is wonderful and John went out of his way to serve us. I love the location. Margaret

Room Tip: Just let the staff know what you are looking for and they will take care of everything.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret C
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Margaret, I will make sure to share your comments with our staff. It is always good to see you and look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

It was clean, which to me is the most important. The room was spacious and had the usual Courtyard amenities. The location, though a short drive from downtown and other sites was a bit isolated and surrounded by a business building and empty lots that are a bit unkept. Room servicing was an issue - a coffee maker was just 1 coffee packet (no cream, sugar etc.). Though the cafe staff did give me some creams when asked. Only 1 large towel, had to go hunt down room service to get more. There was a nice patio area off the lobby.

Room Tip: Get rooms above the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I've always stayed at this hotel for St Louis Mardi Gras. The room and hotel was polished—clean. Staff was VERY helpful and willing to assist Breakfast was a snap. If you want something light, it's available immediately, anything else that has to be prepared, they'll have to prepare it—it takes just as long to prepare if you were doing it yourself at home; personally, let them do it and I'll just relax. I'll be staying there again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Edward C
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback regarding our Bistro. Everything is prepped ahead of time so that the longest any item should take to produce is 8 minutes. I am glad you liked the breakfast, remember to check out our seasonal menu items that change every three months.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have been to STL many times and have stayed in several different hotels around the downtown area. This was the worst one yet, and I won't be going back.

PROs
- there was always a taxi out front each morning, making travel easy
- this hotel isn't along a highway, and my room (and floor) were very quiet

CONs
- staff wasn't very polished or friendly (close to but not quite rude, and certainly not warm or inviting)
- the lone guy working the breakfast counter was in way over his head (possibly new, or understaffed?)
- the rugs/floors were dirty all week (trash, bits of paper, etc.-- even the elevator!?)
- they had the mini-fridge on the floor so the door wouldn't open without scraping the carpet
- the microwave is on top of the fridge (not steady) and blocks the HVAC unit
- both the mini-fridge and microwave were plugged into the desk lamp = less spots for plugging in laptop, cell phone, etc.
- red marks (paint? nail polish?) on BOTH sides of the bathroom door
- house keeping didn't restock the coffee properly

Room Tip: Go somewhere else?!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
I thank you for your review and apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I have relayed your comments to our housekeeping staff in an effort to improve our service. Marriott prides itself on excellent customer service and we clearly dropped the ball with your stay.
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I visited St. Louis for our first time this past week. We spent two nights at the Downtown Courtyard by Marriott. We were struck by the incredible service and the cleanliness of this hotel. The location on Market Street was perfect. We were able to visit the downtown attractions (Arch, Busch stadium, Union Station etc.) as well as Forest Park.

We highly recommend this hotel for anyone searching for a great place to stay at a reasonable price in downtown St. Louis! It's hard to find a place like this in big cities. If we are ever again in St. Louis this is where we will be staying!

Room Tip: Look for "starvin' Marvin." He's the best hotel staff person we've ever witnes...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for the rave review, we look forward to your future stays. I will pass your comments on to our staff as I know they appreciate the kind words as well.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

For at least the past 5 years we have attended the Missouri Valley tournament at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Each and every year we stayed at this Coutyard. We are treated like valuable customers every time we arrive. Front desk staff are friendly and pleasant. Our first floor room was clean and comfortable. Complimentary coffee in the lobby is very nice. The restaurant seemed a little overwhelmed the first day or two. Our wait for breakfast was lengthy. Staff are all helpful. One of the maintenance staff offered to help me find the ice machine. Overall the hotel is a great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Makes sense to stay here. Just West of Downtown and minutes away from Forest Park, the zoo, and the Brewery (FREE admissions). Rooms Clean-Staff Friendly Only thing was our room was in the back by the pool which made it noisy till it closed. If you want quite, ask to stay in a different section. Did we mention FREE Parking!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple